Orions 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vernimator, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Doesn't work with O1... :(

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Since when does chillingo advertise any of their published title? I cant remember that they did anything with their recent releases.

But they must have spend big pr money on putting a link to this thread. Thoose millions surely came directly from ea.

And there is no chance, because neither the publisher nor the developer care.

Did no one notice the decrease of game quality of their products?

Se is successfull because its freemium, its universal, its high res and not an ancient winmo port with sd graphics.

The question is why should they succeed now with an outdated product? Because there is now multiplayer?

Why should somebody who never played o1 pay 4,99 for o2 instead playing se for free? How are they suppose to attract new customers? I cant see any efforts that the dev or the pub really care. It will be a cash in of the fans and thats it..

At least they broke orions1 with that annoying flickering, so there is a reason to buy o2 hehe..

As for a releaseprice tag.. 1 dollar or 2 at most if you even catch a glimpse of a bigger audience.. Make it 5 and they apparently did not notice that premium means quality nowerdays if they want to get out of the niche they are in.

3. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Yep - I tend to think that $2.99 is a good price for it. That price is low enough to attract people who would casually pay to play on a whim, but high enough to place it in or near the 'premium' billed price point. $4.99 is probably where it will end up though.

Either way, they need to market the hell out of it and work to capture and build on their playerbase.

I would price it low and have targeted, paid expansion decks that were carefully introduced on 2-3 month intervals. The timing would renew / keep interest going and the new content would revitalize the playerbase and attract new people.

$.02

4. Rasten

Rasten Active Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Hah, I suppose there isn't much good in checking the app store every 5 minutes or so just to see if it is up early.....oh, wait, that's just what I've been doing! Must...become....familiarized...with...new...cards....need to play multiplayer....

Drooling....

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    So this thread can finaly rest in piece :)

6. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Bye-bye, useless speculation and complaints thread! I'll miss you!

7. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
  8. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
    I'm going to miss this thread.... NOT!!!! :D

9. mojoman0

mojoman0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    finally after months say bye to this thread!

10. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Hey, hi thread. I just found you. Can we be friends?

Where are you going? Thread? Thread?! WHY ARE y'ou leav'ING ME?!!?!

11. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    Bought it, don't regret -- but hopeful Dev's support

To folks harshing Orions 2 b/c of Orions 1 <-- I understand. I bought Orions #1 also and was really disappointed that they didn't take it further, fix parts, add cards, etc. You would've figured they'd have at least made IAP card expansions, but no.

That said, Orions 2 is pretty damned cool. I bought it despite those previous regrets, and I've already easily gotten $3 worth of gaming out of it.

Problems:
    I haven't successfully played anyone else via 'online' yet (I really hope they learn to model after "Words With Friends" with simple & intuitive async play style) but that doesn't matter to me that much. The game has a couple glitches / bugs. Deck Design mode won't let you read the cards. The 'view log' feature during a game only shows last 10 lines or so, so it's easy to miss what just happened. Where is the help that has card info? Also, some card effects don't seem to work right either. Last annoying feature is the 'campaign' mode which was never very much fun for me, particularly the *stupid* requirement of making buildings at each outpost -- like a sad version of HOMM.

That said, this game is fun. It's smooth, fast, clear, beautiful, and strategic. You can design a deck. You can play 'draft' mode, which I think is *great*. I think a few cards combine viciously, but maybe it has a bunch of those & I've only found a few awesome combos so far?

Lastly, I'm glad Chillingo got bought by EA and hopefully they will keep beefing up Orions 2, or make more CCG-style games, or whatever. Frankly, Chillingo has made some of my fav iPhone games and I'm quite impressed with them, and whether their game quality has dropped or they just crank out a ton of games of all variable qualities -- I'm glad they will be around for awhile.

Last point --> Crystal is no Open Feint, and the iPhone 'Game Board' (leaderboard?) functionality is also very weak. *WEAK!!!* Where is the 'UI' and 'Design' everyone identifies with Apple? Gah!

So since Chillingo is now 'Frankenstein-grafted' onto EA, maybe EA can also purchase Open Feint and get rid of Chillingo's Crystal piece o'junk? Open Feint has a lot of room for improvement too (desperately needs a 'hide annoying user's posts' feature so I can block all these pre-pubescent idiotic posts), but it also functions great -- fast, smooth, slick, etc.

So if you want to play a really fun magic-inspired (but not identical) CCG, this would be a good place to drop $3.

rekzkarz.com

12. caubetocdaido

caubetocdaido Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Not work on iphone 2G FW 3.1.3 !!!!!!!!!!!!??????????