Orions 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vernimator, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #41 Vovin, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

Deal.
    You've got some pretty valid arguments here, I hope they're true.
    O.k. - I am a fair person - so I'll watch it when it's released.
    If it turns out to be a completely overhauled, (at least) nearly bug-free game, I'll try it out. 'Til then, I'll stop my rantings. If it turns out to be another crappy app, I'll not hesitate to get a refund.

2. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    give the devs a break they worked hard on this. any how i havent signed on here for a year..but i did now..just to say i cant wait for my favourite game to finally be released. great news, gonna buy a new ipod for this.

3. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #43 AchillesReborn, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    Shadow era (even in it's current beta) has far more depth than Orions. It's a much more tactical and varied card game.

Not that i dislike Orions. It was fun, and well suited to the iphone, which is probably my biggest worry for shadow era; it seems pretty cramped on my netbook, so the interface would need some adjusting for an iphone screen. I also don't feel too aggrieved towards the devs; they did release at least one bug fix that I remember, and they are under no obligation to release more content for their original game. If they mislead people in the forum into thinking they would release more content then I'd be weary, but I haven't seen any evidence of this. To be honest, I find the way people constantly berate devs for not releasing more content for their games to be annoying and greedy, especially when they expect it for free (although I heavily expect that those guilty of this are the younger demographic present on these boards). If a developer releases extra content to 'thank' people who have purchased their product, or to attract new costumers, it's up to them. But it's entirely their decision. I'll end this rant now, and say that I'll definitely give Orions 2 a look when it's released.

4. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    While I'm no fan of the way these devs treated the iPhone version of Orions, my relationship with them and their game goes way back before the iPhone existed in the days of Pocket PC and Palm Pilot. Back then, Orions was a Microsoft Pocket PC game that I was lucky enough to get to beta test before it's initial public release (for $19.99!). This type of game had never been done before and it was fantastic and met with great success (relatively speaking - the user-base for the platform was much smaller than it is for iDevices).

The developers were a small bunch of Russian guys with limited English but they were incredibly supportive of their user community in their forums and via email, at least in my personal experience. I, in fact, strongly encouraged them to develop the game for the iPhone back when the SDK was first announced. And in fact, long after I got my first iPod touch, I still carried my old PocketPC around simply because of Orions (that version had expansion packs and multiplayer support and it was a beautiful thing indeed).

Eventually, they found the means to port Orions to the iPhone and I was finally able to retire that old PocketPC. Unfortunately, it seems the developers fell on hard times shortly after the release of Orions, which didn't find widespread sales in the App Store despite apparent demand for such a title. Their next release (Knights Onrush) DID find some success and they, being a small outfit, had to focus their efforts in areas that were turning a profit. Their site forums started getting spammed and attacked with malicious software and were eventually abandoned and taken offline. They started ignoring the Orions for iPhone project altogether, I suspect because it was a distraction from things that had the potential to support them and their families.

Being an indie game developer and knowing the tribulations of trying to develop a game as complex as Orions while trying to earn a living and support my family, I can understand their reaction. More so because English is much more difficult for them, and so it is much harder to explain themselves and be understood. I don't want to defend their lack of support, nor do I condone it, but I do understand it. Orions and it's expansions and add-ons for the PocketPC were really great and while Orions on the iPhone has some bugs and lacks important features, it is still one of the best and only customizable card battle strategy games on the entire platform at the moment. (There are a couple others as well as a few in development, our own Duels of the Runemasters is still heavily in development and will be released next year, and the eagerly anticipated Shadow Era by Kyle Poole is in heavy beta testing with a fan-base salivating for it's release.)

I, for one, am willing, in the spirit of support for other indie developers, to say I fully intend to pick up Orions 2 when it's released. And $4.99 for a game like this is cheap guys. I know the App Store leans on the side of less costly games, but in the scheme of things, you'd easily pay $30 or more for an Orions type game on a PC or a Mac or a console and $20 or more for it on past and present mobile gaming platforms outside of the iDevices. $4.99 is the cost of a large coffee at Starbucks! I paid $20 for it on Pocket PC for the initial release as well purchasing each expansion pack and update that came out and was HAPPY to do so. I'm perfectly content to give them $5 and one more shot at doing Orions right on this platform.

5. NagaRoyalGuard

NagaRoyalGuard Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Shouldn't the game have been released by now? If the dev is around here I would highly appreciate some words about the current state of the game.

6. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, noone forces you to purchase Deckmasters... I will surely buy it. Would do it even at $50. (Of course, it'll be far cheaper.) On Windows Mobile, I think it's by far the best game I've spent countless hours with - and will be MUCH better than any current(!), existing iOS card game.

7. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
  8. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Thanks, Menneisyys.

I read the previous guide and it was very helpful. Meanwhile, I am not holding my breath. The developers - as usual - have not been very forthcoming or communicative about the "impending" release of Orions 2. I'd love to see a target date of some kind so I can stop hanging by my thumbs. Too painful.

As is, we have no idea if the game is still in development, or if loose ends are being tied up, or if it is about to be submitted for approval. I'd like to know a little more! Developers????

9. Quorlan

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    One of the original posts said due end of November. I thought that meant 2010, but now I wonder if they mean 2011 considering it's December 5. :(

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Around 15/Nov, I've also been told by the PMoreGames folks it'd come out in 1-2 weeks...

11. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Wait..so it's going to come out sometimes in December right? THIS YEAR RIGHT?

12. stormx

stormx Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    You did understand ^^ Im so exited ! :D

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    As much as I'd love to get this, they never came through with their promised updates on the first one, including severe AI cheating bugs. I guess they have an excuse, since they were making a sequel and would obviously be busy with that, but I'm still iffy.

14. Quorlan

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    I notice that Orions 1 is no longer listed on Chillingo's site. That makes me really curious. My guess is that means Chillingo won't be handling publishing for O2? Anyone (devs?) have any more info? Been quite curious about this one.

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    If you belive what the devs says it may come out yesterday or never..

I somehow doubt o2 will have retina support and highres art because at the end its just a port of an old win mobile game.

16. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Chances are the only reason they are doing #2 was they hit a slow patch and figured it was already in the pipeline, so why not? It has been in the pipeline for two years. As they intimated earlier, there just wasn't a huge enough demand for them to follow up on #1 with fixes or with #2.

For my part, I will be thankful when #2 finally arrives. Not all companies are great marketers of product. They clearly could have done a better job and acquired far more fans of this game. C'est la vie.

17. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
  18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Well, no sign yet. No announcement, nothing.
    Maybe I am right and there is no relying on this dev.

19. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Just emailed developer

Hopefully, we'll at least have some kind if idea how long it may be.

20. jaguard

jaguard Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    from the developer

Hello folks, thank you for your interest and attention. We have decided to delay the release to polish the game a bit more, and also in order not to get lost in this Christmas rush. So we're targeting at the beginning of January now.