iPad Orions 2 - (by Chillingo) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Yup. Great game. Too bad the developer couldn't care less about you or me or anyone else who bought the game. Sorry, but the game has been abandoned.

The developer promised to issue an update many months ago and has not been heard from again. Enjoy what you have because it is obvious that's all you or I will have.

Haven't opened O2 in at least two months and I was the biggest fanboy and one of the principal beta testers. The love affair is over and done.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    was an awesome game though, just a huge missed opportunity to be great. everytime this thread gets bumped by something I always hold out hope that it is a patch that fixes the blademaster bug and adds asynchrous gameplay.

3. delfin

delfin Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Good thing I checked this forum before buying! I was a fan of Orions: Deckmasters on WinMo (buggy as THAT was), but I'll be saving my $2.99 here.

4. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    It's actually a good buy for the money. The AI is decent and I thInk you'll get your money's worth. I certainly did. You just won't get any improvements of updated.

5. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1625 wikoogle, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    Yes, it sucks that the developer has abandoned the game.

But that still doesn't change the fact that this is a damn good game.

There's three things people seem to want...

1. Slight tweaks to balance the game more

Answer: I actually think it adds something to the game that some cards give you a lot more bang for your buck than other cards. It would be boring if every card is roughly at the same powerlevel. Having some overpowered cards actually makes you excited when you get a chance to draft or play with them, as long as they're not overpowered to the point of making the game unwinnable without them (I don't see that to be the case)

2. Fixes to the occasional rare bug

Answer: Honestly I haven't noted any bugs yet and I've put in 20+ games, so maybe this issue is overblown. I am sure there are bugs out there and I haven't run into them, but if they are rare enough then it's not really that big a deal.

3. Some extra content

Answer: Yes, even more content would be great, but the game already has a TON of content, more than any other $2.99 game I can think of.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely no reason why someone shouldn't buy this game. The game is already the best strategy game on the App Store as is.

I think it's precisely because this game is so solid and so beloved by fans, that there is so much anger about the fact that it hasn't been updated.

6. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    You misunderstand. Everyone loves the game. The animosity is directed at tHe developer who promised to support the game and then walked away, despite an enormous game ending bug that should have been corrected ASAP.

If Blademaster attacks an opposing Blademaster, you will be thrown back to your devices home screen. It got past the beta testers, it got past Chillingo's QA, but it was discovered shortly after publication and never was fixed.

That is pure and simple unforgiveable.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Someone is digging up dead threads :)

I could say, i told you so, but no one is listening anyway..

The devs had their chance, but did not care.. buying Orions nowerdays is pretty much wasted money because there are better supported alternatives out there..

Multiplayer is the most important part of o2 and its dead.. so for a quick battle here and there the mini version should be enough..

Rather support devs who care about their users and support them back with your coin...

Cheers guys.. Rip orions

8. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Could you name these alternatives please. I play Kard Combat and Shadow Era from time to time.. also I tried Cabals but I'm not so into it.

It's so disappointing that Orions didn't have any updates since release. What a shame...

9. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Cabals is great, love it. Also play Assassins Creed Recollected and Ascension.

10. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Do what I did, come over to Shadow Era :D

The game has improved a lot over the last few months, the online community is thriving, and the dev actually cares about us.

11. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Was there for the first month or two, did pretty well but lost interest. Did not like the base mechanics all that much and hated the music.

Now playing Assassin's Creed Recollected and Cabals, which for me are far superior in every way, including community.

12. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Same here on all counts. I hate everything about SE (I was on the beta, only played like 3 times and dismissed it with a "meh, it's not Orions" handwave.

Played another 4-5 times when it came out, and walked away. I came back this week and I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing, both in regards to how the game evolved and how the community is pretty active. I'm having matches constantly with twitter buddies and I'm having a blast. It's nice being involved with a TCG again.

Haven't played Recollected or Cabals yet.

13. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    They are both *very* different from SE. Cabals is nowhere near as expensive as SE and ACR much more so.

Artwork for both is great, as is background music. That said, ACR is by far the best looking game out there, has the best music. They both offer unique game play, ACR "real time" and Cabals offers a positional element (like NH).

It's also easy to pick up matches for both. I know there are YouTube videos for ACR, probably for Cabals too (I would think). Anyways love them both.

14. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Which of the CCG apps out there has the best gameplay strategy and most rewards creative deckbuilding?

15. Faemanx

Faemanx Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    i would say asssassins creed recollection and then cabals. only because creeds card pool is massivve though. this is also assuming the average person has played mtg which makes the strategy of shadow era a liitle too familiar which is why i initially stated the two games above. if however you are completely new to tcgs and the like . then id say ACR is infront on two counts the online element of the game and the fact you pronably could not replucate a physical version like youcan with the other two. and yeah they are a well kniwn franchise so the card pool is massive.

16. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Yeah, I'm a fan of MTG. I like SE, but the strategy is just so slim. Or anyways, it was when I set it down six months ago.

Cool, thanks. I'll check out Creed and Cabals. The latter is a bit cheaper, right?

17. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Actually a LOT cheaper.

18. doncorazon

doncorazon Active Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I hardly visit these boards but just came back to check what's been going on with Orions 2. Sad it's gotten no love, but still, by far my most played app of all time....

19. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Yes, it's sad to have a game with great expectations and see it abandoned in that way. We would like more expansions of cards, better graphics with retina support, any new game mode would be very good, better online support, bugs & crashes fixes, etc.

Some times when a publisher is a big name is not very good. They don't emphasize to few games but they bring new ones, either casual, either hardcore and if a game will not sell, they will abandon it.

Sad.

:(

20. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Sad indeed. They could at least make it open source so that enthusiasts can easily create a Universal version / update the graphics.