iPad Orions 2 - (by Chillingo) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I hope they include some of the older cards as IAP

2. n1k170n

n1k170n Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    There is another bug. It was in WinMo version, it is here :)
    If there are two Blade Masters on opposite sides the game crashes after clicking Attack button.
    I don't undrstand what were they doing for half an year :)

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #103 Ayjona, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    As a stand-alone title, feature-rich. As a sequel, very sparse.

It seems that much of the game is straight from that older version. Would explain the lack of Retina. I kinda figured they had developed all those new cards for Orions 2, but if they are drawn from an already existing source, it makes this sequel a further bit less impressive, in regards to time investment on the part of the devs.

And it makes me more convinced of my initial analysis: you still play Orions 1? Great buy, as this will give you more of it. Never played Orions 1? Even better, as you have a brilliant game waiting for you, all the better for multiplayer and the new cards. Tired of Orions 1? The sequel will give you little to pique your interest again.

4. SupraKarma

SupraKarma Active Member

May 19, 2011
    Where can i contact the developer for support?

I can't run it on my Ipod Touch 2g 3.0

Orions 1 played fine though.

:(

5. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Orions 1 is an extremely old game and you have an extremely old Ipod (and iOS version). Eventually your hardware/software does not get supported. Time to keep up.

Orions 2 has Game Center and Game Center requires 4.0

6. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    We had to fight to get his ability raised. :)

7. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You might want to upgrade to 4.2?

O2 works just great on my iPod Touch 2G 4.2.1, while on the 3.1.3 (non-JB, freshly reset) iPhone 3G it exists right after the Chillingo splash screen.

8. noderunner

noderunner Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Too bad

I was really excited about this getting a facelift and an iPad version, with an iPad specific UI. It's disappointing to read how few updates there have been. I'll be skipping this unless they add Retna support and/or iPad support.

9. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    First Impressions

Ok, first of all, for those who are complaining about the lack of retina/hd etc., O2 is already eye candy. Hook up headphones and you're in the most immersive experience and you do not need your own music either.

Complaints that O2 might not be "worth it" seem entirely silly to me. It's $2 less than what most guesses came in at and those who wait are liable to see the price INCREASED sooner rather than later. If you're waiting, be advised of the possibility that Chillingo is doing everything they can to get worldwide participation for multiplayer now and once they have X number of players online, they will hike the price. Makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm sure some of the cards were changed a bit from the last beta version. For instance, Manticore was raised from a level 7 to 8, which makes sense. I don't think either Meneisyss or I argued for that because we both loved the card so much as is. :) But unquestionably, it was UP and we knew it.

I only played one game last night and it took more than ten minutes to get connected (at about 11:40pm EDT) and that's too long. Not sure if it was because no one was around yet or GC was having any issues but Meneisyss and I could usually find each other in under a minute and we were the only two people on the planet playing on those occasions.

I beat Iceman in a contest that went on for about 20 minutes. He took it down to a few seconds left a few times, probably needing the time to examine all his options. It will take a new player some time to get acquainted with all the cards. Iceman eventually casted an Ethereal opposite my Manticore, which turned out to be a fatal error. Ethereal (9 defense 2 power) is a wonderful critter as it does not take any damage from attacks and can steadily wear down most opposing critters. But against Manticore, it meant my guy was going to last long enough to take away every spell casting ability on the other side for at least 7 turns and that turned the tide. Finally, when Iceman's side was full, I cast Starfall and 4 critters went to their demise. Game over on attack. It was 12:09 am and that was it for me until tonight.

I suppose I should rest on my laurels. As of right now, I am number 1 in the USA with 1 victory. Lol! :D

I must say I am very pleased the game is finally here. I bought a copy for my iPad, which couldn't run the beta residing on my iPhone anyway (different ad-hoc id) and gifted it to four people. O2 is a unique and very fulfilling experience. Against human opponents, there is palpable stress and anxiety while attempting to find the best tactical and overall strategic moves available. The music perfectly fits the mood and as I have stated before, the casting and attack animations go far above and beyond the call of duty. I can't envision this game ever dropping from my favorites.

See you online later.

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Neither can I. Has been my favourite title since March 2007 (the release of the original Orions1 for WinMo).

11. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    There likely won't be any such additions. Nevertheless, in a chess app you don't pay attention to how the actual board looks like, do you? :) Playing Orions is like playing chess.

12. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    I hope too. While some of the new cards do introduce features and capabilities of the removed cards, some are still sorely missing (e.g., Paladin's quick kill of anything Death)

13. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I bought this today and I'm enjoying it. I'm using a retina display and it looks great. Haven't tried it on my iPad yet, but personally I hate non-universal apps on the iPad. Come on, it's 2011, people.

Although I kinda agree with TA's mention that O2 feels like what the promised upgrade to O1 should have been, it's well worth the asking price. Because it came out at a great price, it earns my 5 star review. I'm looking forward to defeating all of you in multiplayer! :D

BTW is it just me or did the intro text that scrolls by (and you can't stop it or go back) have a lot of grammar errors? I thought they did QA on this...

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I just started the game up and went straight into multiplayer and although obviously
    Not familiar with the old cards I found this so good to play...
    I can't believe all the silly remarks on here having a cry about not going to purchase because it's not for retina. The game looks great as is. And even if you want to go down that debate, it's not about the visuals, it's about the mechanics of
    It, and i just had a blast.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not just you, and not just the intro text ;)

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    agree and I have O1 at full price which seems broken before O2. Now I am relearning the whole thing...

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed any bugs? I'm pretty definite I've tracked down one, unless there's some hidden mechanic that I don't know about.

[​IMG]

Notice how I lost, even though I have 16 life left?
    I've managed to reproduce this bug 3 times now.

What happened, was that I had a small amount of life left, in this case 2. I cast Steal Life for 14. The enemy AI had 14 life left. What should have happened, was his 14 remaining life was stolen and given to me, giving me a total of 16, leaving him with 0 and therefore me winning the game.
    Instead, my turn automatically ended after using Steal Life, the AI was able to use a creature's CAST to deal 2 damage to me reducing my life to 0, the "You have been defeated" notification pops up, and THEN it awards me 14 life while returning the 2 from the previous turn bringing my total to 16... but I still lost, even though my life is 16.

18. SupraKarma

SupraKarma Active Member

May 19, 2011
    #118 SupraKarma, May 19, 2011
    I'm currently upgrading the firmware. I never wanted to do it before, because 3 was stable for me, and all i heard was that 4 was slow on an old itouch 2g. But i love Orions so much that i'm willing to give it a try.
    I hope i'm lucky.

19. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    #119 Espekayen, May 19, 2011
    Not only that, but some of the instruction text is cropped at the right side and cannot be read.

Seeing as nobody replied to my last post regarding a card list for O2, I am assuming there isn't one so I am making my own. I am currently at 116 cards. Following is a simple alphabetical list of cards, grouped by elemental school. I also plan on producing a more detailed list which will include all the info for each card, probably in a spreadsheet.

WATER

Acid Storm
    Elemental
    Elementalist
    Giant Turtle
    Hydra
    Ice Wall
    Kraken
    Leviathan
    Nixie
    Ocean Lord
    Poison Storm
    Refresh
    Rust
    Scylla
    Sea Monster
    Solitude
    Tentacle
    Tsunami
    Tython
    Wash Away
    Water Troll

FIRE

Berserker
    Blade Master
    Blind
    Blood Ritual
    Cerberus
    Demon
    Diablo
    Elemental
    Forbidden Magic
    Fire Burst
    Fire Spikes
    Fire Storm
    Imp
    Infernal
    Lava Spider
    Red Drake
    Salamander
    Wall of Fire

AIR

Air Shield
    Astral Cloud
    Bloody Wind
    Chain Lightning
    Fairy
    Guardian
    Healing Wind
    Kronos
    Lightning Bolt
    Lightning Lord
    Manticore
    Moon Cast
    Nymph
    Shadow Clone
    Soul of Winds
    Starfall
    Wings of Wisdom
    Zeus

EARTH

Centaur
    Dispercer
    Earth Chant
    Earthquake
    Elven Archer
    Empower
    Enchanter
    Ent
    Force of Nature
    Giant Spider
    Kobold
    Megaworm
    Moloch
    Python
    Restructure
    Revival
    Satyr
    Scareling
    Silence

LIFE

Apostate
    Armor of God
    Bless
    Chimera
    Cure Wounds
    Eternal Light
    Ethereal
    Hermit
    Knight
    Magic Healer
    Monk
    Peace
    Pegasus
    Pure Heart
    Purify
    Rejuvenation
    Swordsman
    Valor

DEATH

Assassin
    Banshee
    Black Mage
    Chaos Vortex
    Dark Druid
    Dark Lord
    Death Rage
    Enslave
    Evil Sorcerer
    Ghost
    Grim Reaper
    Lich
    Necromancer
    Raise Dead
    Shadow
    Skeleton
    Slug
    Steal Life
    Undead Swarm
    Unholy Word
    Werewolf

20. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah they are definitely missing a bunch of cards. I don't miss most of them but a handful I wish I really had and if they had to rebalance that would have been fine (they've done so already for several cards already in O2).

Now would be a good time to say that I hope they update with the missing cards but this is More Games we're talking about. We never saw anything with O1 until the last minute (which everyone knows really only added more bugs).

They updated iDracula with a new mode maybe a few months after it came out so hopefully they're going to be a little more considerate this time. Personally I wish they would have just dumped the whole campaign mode so they would have more development time on the cards and bug squashing.