iPad Orions 2 - (by Chillingo) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
  2. aggiedeals

aggiedeals Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Yay! It's finally out!!!!

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #23 GodSon, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    3 Bucks!?!?! Damn what a steal! Even if it isn't universal it's an insta buy. :D

EDIT: Love the small sized file too.

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Wow, after 100-plus pages of the other thread, this is sort of hard to wrap my head around. I'll need to make some adjustments here ...

5. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Is this game solely a multiplayer experience or can we just play individually against the AI?

6. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Well, I'm kinda iffy about these devs in their supporting of their games post launch, so I shall wait for further impressions on this before biting.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So no retina then? I waited forever for this game and it's not even as beautiful as it should be?!

8. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You can and the AI is pretty good.

9. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Notes below based on final betatest version @ Mene: feel free to post any or all of this in your guide.

-------------------------

Orions 2: Deckmasters has the following modes:

1) traditional duel vs. AI in 3 difficulty levels with various options (like more elements, more cards, etc.)
    2) Draft vs. AI
    3) Constructed deck vs. AI
    4) Duels vs. Human - either anon or invite
    5) Drafts vs. Human - anon (not sure invites were implemented but we had them most of the time in beta)
    6) Challenge vs. AI (9 different challenges, some not too hard, some VERY hard and a very fun alternative play)
    7) Campaign with either easy, medium or hard maps

----------------------

Photo UL) Here's the screen you see when you go to "Duels."

Photo UR) Game Center showing options - "Play Now" or "Invite Friend."

Photo LL) Here's the screen you see when you go to "Custom Duels." Note "Draft", "User Deck" and "Challenge."

Photo LR) Here's a Draft screen where the computer has already chosen Acid Storm.

----------------------------

While you can play at your own pace versus the AI in any mode, contests against a human opponent are timed to prevent your opponent from walking away from a loss or stalling. You have 60 seconds to make a move or your turn is over. Walk away for a few minutes, the game ends and your opponent wins. Warning: get used to it. Time will evaporate quickly!

In Draft vs. a human opponent, you will have roughly 15 seconds to choose a card. Any more than that can really drag it out. 4 cards for each element for each player, that could be as much as 12 minutes just to set the game up (4 picks x 6 elements x 2 players x15 seconds each pick = 720 seconds = 12 minutes). In practice, it usually takes about 5-6 minutes for the draft and that feels just about right.

It will take quite some time to get used to the entire set. A LOT has changed and some card effects are not as you might expect. You will have to learn a lot along the way.

All cards are accessible in MP, but each "deck" is limited.

In Duel mode, you will have a random deck with 36 different cards, 6 cards from each element (no limit on how many copies as you can cast).

Drafts are limited to 24 different cards, 4 cards from each element (no limit on how many copies you can cast).

Draft is less because you are selecting from a screen showing 10 cards. Each player picks 4 in alternating picks and the last two cards are unchosen.

If Constructed ever goes live MP (hope!, hope!, hope!), you will be able to have up to 8 cards from a specific element in a 24 card deck.

Go to DUEL (don't forget to change your name where it says "PLAYER 1" unless you want to remain unknown, AND the icon pic at left).

Under OPPONENT, click ONLINE.

Hit START. Game Center pops up. Upper RH corner of screen, hit "Play Now."

If you have a specific friend you want to invite, hit the "Invite Friend" button instead.

The last beta version did not save my "Mysterione" moniker and character icon if I closed out app but previous versions did. Hopefully, that's been reimplemented.

See you online later!!! :D

Attached Files:

10. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    And another thing....

Please do a reset after you download app to ensure no memory conflicts. The last thing we need now is complaints, "*$#&($! App doesn't work!"

11. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Its like chess or the original Starcraft - it's not the visuals that count, but the game itself and the brain work one needs to do.

12. TheDukester

But ... but ... complaining is what we do.

;)

(I'm kidding; it really is good advice)

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    WiFi only for a game that relies on *turn-based* gameplay, when there are 3G-enabled first-persons shooters that run well without WiFi? (Not too mention tons of games that DO run well over 3G, even though they initially will not allow multiplayer 3G connections.)

I am so glad I am jailbroken, and can 3G Unrestrict my way past that.

EDIT: While it certainly is no deal-breaker, the lack of Retina is a tad annoying.

14. mojoman0

mojoman0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    i think we'll just have to wait a bit to see if 3g actually works as it reportedly did in the beta and its just advertised wrong

15. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    3G works as it was previously mentioned.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So can the AI draft a decent deck?

17. TheDukester

Take a deep breath, chief. 3G will work just fine.

18. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Any sites available where I can see all the cards?

19. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    While gameplay is clearly more important, visuals are also a big part of a good game. The two are not mutually exclusive.

20. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    so a few hours to go now, i want to ask if i can add you guys as friends in order to play online in the future? :)