Universal Original Journey (by ZPLAY)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jane Wang, Apr 8, 2018.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry — didn’t mean to assume. That mini rant wan’t really aimed at you specifically; I was just expressing some more general frustrations with TA.

In any event, I love Jydge, but this is quite different. Here you start as a grunt in an alien force; your own planet was destroyed, and you are looking to explore a new one to see if it can be colonized. As you would expect, once you get deeper into the game you discover that there’s more to the planet — and the story — than meets the eye. From the getgo you interact with a variety of NPCs, from other grunts, to commanders to engineers, all with their own personalities, quirks, etc.

As far as gameplay, the basic loop takes you from floating island to floating island, fighting a wide variety of alien enemies and collecting resources, which you use to create new armor and weapons. You also collect a currency that you can use to buy resources in game and to pay to fast travel further into the “giant forest.” As you play, NPCs give you missions that add new resources and abilities, as well as advance the story. The key here is that, if your’re killed while
    In the forest, you lose any resources you have already collected. You have to decide whether you are willing to risk a big haul to go that one more island.

Technically, this is not a dual stick shooter, though it’s close. In the configuration I prefer, you control horizontal movement and jumping with the left stick, and the aim angle with the right one. You do have to turn to shoot in the opposite direction. Switching weapons is a snap (you carry a two weapon load out). You also have access to turrets that you can set up a anywhere where there’s ground. Later you get a drone that follows you around, shooting at enemies and giving you some special (story-related) abilities.

I’ve put a couple hours into it, and according to my save file I’m at 4%, so clearly there’s a ton of content.

Hope that helps. I say that if you like the look of it and are willing try something different, it’s worth the money.

2. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    As far as I know, it takes about 15 hours to finish the game. It's a decent game compared to the price. :)

3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Its a 2d side-scrolling semi td / shooter>

You get dropped into an procedurally generated island environment and have to go as far as you can with the ammo / hp you have. If you die, you have a chance to make it back to your corpse to retrieve your drops, similar to Dark Souls.

To upgrade your gear / stats / weapons, you have to harvest drops from your kills and supply boxes, survive the round, and make it back to your base. To me that is very Monster Hunterish.

The monsters have eliete versions of themselves that hit harder and have more life / better drop rates.

This isn't reinventing the wheel, but there is not a lot out there that is similar. Especially on iOS. Its taking features from a lot of games and combining them and it is doing so very well.

The art and style are top notch.

The premium aspects (no IAP) alone should have had the anti micro transaction brigade frothing at the mouth.

The market screens do not do it justice, the language translation for English is pretty spot on.

The only negative thing I can think of is that the base lay out, having to open doors / go to specific rooms to switch gear, could be re done to get you back to game-play faster.

Regardless, you are getting more than your money's worth from this title. Its more polished than a some 60 console titles.

4. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    Thé tutorial is killing me. Since I play in short burst, I have trouble getting out of the tutorial with 2-3 minutes sessions. Since you can’t skip dialogue, it’s such a pain for small sessions.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just give the opening a little time. Once you get out of the tutorial, it’s easy to play in short bursts — though you may want to plan some longer sessions for some of the missions.

You do need to remember to head back to base when you’re done — otherwise you may lose your progress.

6. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #26 Son of Anarchy, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    I keep seeing recommendations for this game around the place, I only hadn't bought it yet because I can't quite work out the flow of gameplay from screenshots and AppStore video. The more I check it out, the more intrigued I get though. So I'm buying now and crossing my fingers that I find an awesome new game to fall in love with.

7. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Except for mobile optimization, you'll find more information about this game on Steam.Sometimes the average rating on Steam can be quite positive on mobile. For example, Chrono Trigger or Never Stop. Then, Original Journey may also be the same case. ;)

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Looking forward to your impressions!

9. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #29 Solarclipse, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    I've been playing this for a few hours. Love the art, the sound, and the story serves the game really well—the writing is actually pretty good!

There are two control options. One has a jump button and the other doesn't. I tried it both ways and decided to stick with the jump button. Especially for the races, it's just a little more clear.

Big tip that isn't clear from the tutorial: where you tap on the fire button matters! Tap on the top to shoot up, bottom to aim down. You can hold the fire button down and also slide up and down.

There are a few events in each area that seem to come up, challenges with NPCs that give you some rewards that are required for items...but you have to have the plans. That depends on story moving ahead, but at least the power balance seems to be pretty good.

One thing: use the towers to their fullest. They have unlimited Ammo. Also, swords are awesome :)
    UPDATE: in the 2nd world you will find some aliens who can upgrade your weapons further...I had splurged some credits on fast travel and regret it! Once you've unlocked them you will have some random encounters with them where prices are 50% off—super worth it, wait for it. Those galactic coins—the the right of your luck stat—those are also used for upgrades with them in addition to credits.

Loving this game more and more!

10. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    How about game difficulty? I read some reviews on steam that say this game is pretty easy while I want some challenges.

11. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    It's a mixed bag. You'll find yourself challenged, then get a promotion and new turrets and find things a bit easy. Then you will get to a boss and die a few times :) One tip: not all enemies can turn around; use that to your advantage. Once you get to the psychedelic swamp (6 or 7 event...or is it shadow core...I think it was in the swamp) and can get weapon upgrades, you can grind a bit and get pretty powerful. (note: the upgrades you purchase are components, when you have 4/4 or 5/5, you see the other trader and get the upgraded version)

After you beat a boss you can come back to them, but I find them all pretty difficult the 2nd time around...I think I am near the end of the game now. Story gets better and better.

I've upgraded every weapon so far. Some weapons you can't actually upgrade, like the bubble gun. You can get chips for them, however. The upgraded grenade launcher is amazing. You can fire up close or far away, and you will never run out of ammo with it, because you will be killing so many things to replenish your ammo. The bubble gun is a good complement to it because it shoots quickly and spreads nicely.

The level 2 (tier3) machine gun is also pretty powerful, and the only tier3 weapon to get an upgrade! The energy sword is great for bosses that move around a lot, as you can be charged up and ready to get the big hit when the opportunity strikes. But once you have an upgraded grenade launcher, I think that's a better way to go.

Favorite armors so far—deep ocean takes away falling penalties and shrugs off low damage attacks—those bees, some of the spikes in the ground—pretty handy. Also the phantom armor, which has all around high stats and chances to dodge. As far as tier 2 goes, I liked the warrior because I had an energy sword then.

Giant Tree level 12 you can take on the monster horde—this is a great way to earn 20 or 30 galactic coins...so once you have a couple upgraded weapons, take it on.

12. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    #32 Ancientmoon, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Bought and played it for a couple of hours.
    Very cool game!

This game is not easy at all, at least boss fights are quite challenging.

My rating;
    Gameplay: 8/10(not really unique or original, but fun at least)
    Music: 6/10(okay)
    Graphics: 10/10(super super cool)
    Story: 9/10(unlike most roguelite games, it has a complete story line)
    Controls: 5/10(ver.101, not really desirable, but still adaptable by patient practice)
    Replay value: 8/10(less than most other roguelite games on iOS, but still very good considering the price)

Overall: 8/10

Game experience on iPad is better than on iPhone.

Suggestion:
    Hope the devs can replace the app icon for a cool one. Simply take a random screenshot while playing, that will be far better than current icon for sure.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    New update hit last night. Most significant change is on the fire button, which now works like a real twin-stick shooter — and in IMO is a big improvement.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh damn. Absolutely. I finally picked this up yesterday and had enough time to play it before the update hit (wonderful game, need not to said...can see how some PC players might not dig it, but it's a PERFECT fit for mobile), and the fire button is leaps and bounds better now.

15. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    First Impressions. Thanks to ZPLAY, I am pleased to meet this game on mobile. Steam PC version is not bad, but this game is more glowing on mobile. :)

Control has also been improved with this update. But there seems to need to be a little more improvement in operation. There is some freezing, but not a problem in the game progress. ;)

A combination of a twin shooter and a defensive game. Fresh composition. Mini-games and battle with the boss are also available. It would be nice if the stamina for the monsters is displayed. Enjoy the mobile version a little bit more. :p

The following videos will help you understand this game a bit more. :D

16. Miao

Miao New Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Which character can be the core element for a new icon?

17. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Dang, got ripped in a review from 148apps

18. Jane Wang

Jane Wang Well-Known Member

May 23, 2016
    Hope you have enjoyed it and like the game!

19. Jane Wang

May 23, 2016
    Haha, thanks for loving Original Journey. It’s absolutely worth your time to play it LOL

20. Jane Wang

May 23, 2016
    Haha, thanks for loving Original Journey. It’s absolutely worth your time to play it LOL