Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'll go with this as my GOTW since dungeon crawlers have been my favorite genre for many years now. Like many others have said, I hope an optional virtual stick will be added in. The controls are very decent though. Also, as others have mentioned, it's strange there are only 2 equip slots. As we've seen from Dungeon Hunter 1 + 2 and various KRPGs, having 5-10 equip slots isn't cumbersome for even the iOS. Oh well, I guess. Graphics are great, yes. Voice-acting and music are pretty good from what I've heard so far. This isn't Diablo III, but it probably is the best dungeon crawler on the iOS. The $2.99 price-tag was very surprising. An extreme bargain. Action-RPG fans will find a lot to love here while we wait for IB Dungeons. Going to try it on the iPad tomorrow. Will probably be an even better experience.

2. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    oh god let it go, i just came to ask a question and i find myself with the same whinny environment, can you at least address my question please? D:

3. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    is more like a diablo style but you cant go back to the first places unless you play those chapters again

in other matters the game does have a change of armors but is in progression in the story dont know is there are more

a screenshot with the new one

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rwsqd1.png

just the link if anyone dont want to see for any kind of spoilers reason

4. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    thanks for replying, love diablo, would you consider to be an open world? linear? does it have some exploration?

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #165 awp69, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Geez man, take a chill pill. I hope you weren't referring to my post. I wasn't saying the game is difficult. Just saying I'm starting to agree that the controls aren't great. That's far from the same thing.

But I will answer your question. It's pretty much linear. You can explore a bit, but it's definately not free roam. There's chapters that begin and end. No sandbox to play in.

6. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well is more linear but it does have a little of exploration if you want to find the books about the lore of game, treasures in some parts you have to explore a little searching for X thing to open a door but them again the maps for each chapters are pretty big

if you love diablo i think you would love this one at least i do and i'm in the same place with the love of diablo as you and with the effects of the scenery like walls collapsing, zombies climbing from the walls it just feels for me like a lite diablo

edit what is up with that pic of starcraft lol

7. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    well i didn't mean specifically your post, cause i haven't tried this after all, so i can't address on the controls, but everywhere i go, ppl are complaining about difficulty, i don't know why the even bother to play games anymore you know?

anyway, that's exactly what i wanted to know, thanks, it's a bummer, i looked like a free roam one, it still looks pretty good though, i'm already downloading it anyway XD

8. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    well it's a bummer that is not free roam, i want almost every game to be free roam XD but it still looks pretty cool, besides i love diablo, downloading right now XD

9. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Has anyone played both this and Mage Gauntlet and can tell me how the controls compare to pro swipe (ultimate dpad for touch?)

I've been burned by too many touch to move games to take a blind chance on another one. They are literally unplayable for me after a while and cause physical pain.

10. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    #170 Ausar, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    well if is was like diablo that you can go back and forward to the places would be really awesome but for what it is they devs made a good work hopefully the take some of the suggestion like more gestures to the skills, bottons for potions, always run and stuff like that to make it more great

i haven't play Mage Gauntlet so i'm not the right position to say but you could try heroes call the movement there is like here the only difference is that you always run in heroes call and just must tap and hold to run the rest is almost the same except this one is more polished in all the rest

11. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Wrong post i think they are not even the same type

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    o_O

Cant... process.

13. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    wat? classic what?

14. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    advertiser. :rolleyes:

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    While I found Act 1 and 2 too slow, I must say that in Act 3 (expecially chapters 3 and 4) it really picks up and finally the pacing is a lot faster.
    Still a bit on the easy side but I started to retreat and quaff potions in many occasions.
    Production values are amazing...cutscenes, dubbing, graphics and sounds...this game has it all, kudos to the devs.

I think it could be a much more 'hardcore' experience if the health bar wouldn't regenerate and you could regain it just with potions.
    A little change that could enhance greatly the sense of danger....right now you can just find a spot and wait to regen...or run in circles chased by goblins and skeletons.
    I'm actually playing trying to avoid that, going right in the middle of the battle using all spells and potions...as a real ORC WARCHIEF should do :p
    I'm avoiding the 'shop' too...using it only when I start gaming just to sell everything.

Since I did all that, fun increased GREATLY for me.

As I saw some criticism on IAPs I can say that I have constanly above 15K gold and never had a problem...neve even bought anything from the shop...the game is REALLY GENEROUS when it comes to gold and loot....just sell everything you find...I have a collection of 20-30 weapons after every level.
    I really can't imagini anyone paying IAPs...they are really unecessary.

Now I'm really looking forward to play more....does anyone knows how many Acts?

BTW, I won't spoil anything but there are some very cool and unexpected situations during the game.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Oh I forgot!!!
    I unlocked many spells, but the 'frost' one is really amazing.
    I LOVE how it frezes the enemies in every position they are and then you can shatter them.
    The Frost/earthquake combo is pretty rad when surrounded by enemies.

I just wish it was more difficult...first 2 Acts in particular...some Act 3 moments were pretty hectic...I wish the whole game was like that.

17. wim

wim Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Pleas bring more places in the game like forest and citys oo damn this is the best game on the ipad the BEST! Jess it needs joysticks. Just start to build more levels:) i love you guys and pleas ask mony for your updates!!! You deserve it

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wanted to come back and mention that I continued to play a bit more last night and while I still would like a d-pad, I've figured out ways to get around the touch control issues. The game isn't difficult as others have said. It's just that the touch controls become an issue with large amounts of enemies that are all very close.

Anyway, I do much like I did in Heroes Call. I move away from the monsters to lure them in smaller numbers then pick them off one by one. Not as effective as in Heroes Call, but it works.

Also, I've run into an area with a large amount of bats as well as other monsters. I can't take out the monsters because the bats swarm up to fast. And, of course, if I hit one, the game crashes. So I'm kind of at a stopping point.

Hope that "bat" fix is coming along. Otherwise, one of the best most polished, atmospheric hack n' slash games on the App Store.

19. Nadante

Nadante Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Read the Epic Raiders thread. He's trolling

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Does this game use iCloud only for sharing sharing saves on multiple devices or is it similar to GOF2, IFB2, etc. where you can upload saves to iCloud, delete the app, reinstall, and pull the data back down? I only have 2 Gb free so this is a make or break feature with any (non-casual) game over 100 mega installed.