Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Editor's Choice in the US App Store!

Thank you so much for all the support!

2. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    UK Store too :)

3. Adamanth

Adamanth New Member

May 4, 2012
    Also in Italy!

4. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well sadly in my store the editor choise have it another app but is apple give 2 there is still chances

Anyway you guys really deserve this the best dungeon crawler in the store for me even better than dh2, this does fill at the level of a 3ds or vita game congratz

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With some pretty stiff competition like the Walking Dead, that's a great achievement! Congrats!

On another note, just curious with those of us with the "bat" bug, has anyone had any problems after getting past those areas? I'm on Act 2 and was just wondering if there were any concerns of other enemies or other obstacles that may cause it to crash.

I agree with the earlier comment about having dedicated buttons for the potions. I don't mind the gesture controls for the attacks -- in fact, it's nice for it not to be just a button masher that most hack n' slash games are. But having to either use a gesture or open a menu and drag a potion is a bit much. The game isn't that hard (yet, although I did die a few times while not paying attention to my health bar), it still would be nice to have easier access to potions. Even the vegeance/mana potion is helpful because you can quickly run out of it using the gesture based attacks.

Just a thought. I'd like a d-pad too, but to be honest, the potion thing is more annoying. The touch to move isn't that bad.

6. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Very impressed with this as dungeon crawlers go - I can see where corners have been cut visually for the iTouch, not that many enemies on screen, no dynamic lighting and so on, but it's still one of the best-looking iOS games I've seen in a while. Combat moves on Rok aren't quite as neat as Heroes Call's nifty combo attacks, but they're still good, and the way enemies swarm onto the field is plenty atmospheric (spiders climbing down into the level especially). I'd have liked a better variety of loot, since once you've started upgrading everything automatically seems to be vendor trash unless you particularly want to change weapons. Still, it's not a dealbreaker by any means. The controls and the gesture system do slightly suggest being different for the sake of it (as some people have already said, what's the point of walking at all?) but they work very well once you get used to them. I've died a few times in the big fights that close out the later levels and they're pretty hectic affairs, dashing and ground-pounding all over with barely a missed touch command.

My only real frustration is the writing's mostly mediocre at best. Apologies to whoever did that bit, but you really shouldn't be breaking out Ye Olde English unless you know how to use it... :p Admittedly the world does have a decent sense of place even though it's fairly standard fantasy art design (the visuals are great - just not that surprising). But those books are, well, reasonable storytelling I guess, but technically so clumsy and flat it keeps knocking me out of the zone, so to speak.

7. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well i haven't encounter any problem with the bats in the 4s but i restored my iphone a week ago, in the act 2 i haven't seen any bat at all just the occasional spider, you guys should try to at least avoid the bats from those first chapters.

The crash may have something to do with the animation of the bats exploting

8. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Know better than... you? I probably do. ;)
    Well... are we allowed to count Android as well? Otherwise you win. :p

Just lost to an angry guy in game as my swipe made Rok run. :mad: Have fun with the game. Glad to see a lot of people enjoy it. I so wish I was one of them.

9. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Woohoo! Thanks! Time to buy! :)

10. MetalGear

MetalGear Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Senior Software Developer
    İzmir
    Running and using skills with gestures will take some time to get used to. But anyway;
    Great job on the game! Best arpg I've yet to play on idevices.
    and yes I've played many of them :D

But if there were more inventory slots for head/boots/jewelery etc... it could have been even better :)

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    It's all been said before but I'm gonna try summarize my points.
    Good rpg. Just the opening cinematic with the voice over shows great effort has been put in here. In game graphics are great.

Probs:
    1) touch to walk is terrible no matter how people try to convince themselves they're getting used to it. It's a burden. Direction pad please.
    2) there's no need for the attack swipe/circle gestures. It only makes you miss half the time. On screen icons will do just fine.
    3) more ways to customize your character, at least the stats. Boots, helmets etc as above.

For me, those are actually decent problems and preventing me opening to play this again right now.

OTHERWISE well done! Seriously is great otherwise, so if you don't mind those, then go for it!

12. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Don't forget to vote this for game of the week on TouchArcade in the General section!

13. Joey1821

Joey1821 New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How many acts is the game? Played some of act 1 and I am very impressed so far!

14. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    On act 4. Mostly the prob is the potions taking swipe spots and the swipes being tricky. I just use double tap and single swipe. Buttons for skills an a dpad is just one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" things.

I'm having a great time playing and love the graphics. Really the only trouble is that the game simply isn't as good as dungeon hunter 2. Only because the movement and combat in dh2 is smoother and flows better. I still really like this game and it's WELL worth the cost.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With a lot of people on these forums who always seem to be looking for a good dungeon crawler, I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much interest on here.

Hope the Editor's Choice gets the game some notice.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You just voiced exactly what I was thinking. Please make hear changes, or the options to implement them, Chillinggo!

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man if you added more gear for slots like head, shoulders, waist, boots, and maybe rings and necklaces you would have a huge hit on your hands. I cant imagine if u added 2 handed weapons or being able to dual wield 2 weapons at once.... And added the equipment slots i mentioned i mean big possibilities!

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #158 awp69, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    The more I play this, the more I'm starting to agree with those who've been complaining about the controls. I didn't mind the controls at first, but as I progress and it actually starts to get more difficult, that's when they become more problematic. Surrounded by enemies, the touch movement seems to get less responsive and the damage keeps coming while you're trying to move and/or attack. Guess part of the problem is that since you tap on an enemy to attack it, when you move, you stop attacking it or you keep attacking it and can't move. Ok, that probably doesn't make sense.

It doesn't help that one of the gestures is to double tap. I've been caught in situations where I'm trying to move and may tap twice because the character doesn't seem to be going where I want him to go and then end up doing the double tap skill.

Guess what it boils down to is that I'm starting to lean more towards wanting a d-pad to make this game more enjoyable. The gestures may work better in that combination.

D-Pad and buttons for potions -- at least as control options. Keeping the gestures is fine with me, but if people want buttons for those as an option that'd be fine too. The more control customization, the better.

Still really like the game overall, but think it could be even better with different control options.

19. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    seriously i hate ppl complaining about difficulty, no wonder games these days are so damn boring and linear, man up! :p

a question, i really like to try this game, is it free roam? or a sandbox? or you know, diablo style?

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dead Trigger forums is that way. :D