Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    lol yeah...although they didn't explicitly refer to current gen consoles >.>

The thing about AAA console games is that they are generally a full package of good graphics, good gameplay mechanics, good plot, well developed characters, world , lore and lengthy game time without resorting to cheap tactics ( you know I am talking about!). It doesn't really mean much if you just (somewhat)succeed in reaching the standards of one of these many aspects.

Thanks for the video Sanuku, it looks pretty decent but at the same time it looks like an overly streamlined dungeon crawling game.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair from the sounds of it the IAP's are just a 'cheats' way of getting ahead of the game quickly. If youre 'forced' to buy IAP's in this game then yeah its bad but it doesnt sound like that. Reminds of Bullet Time, theres IAP's in there to get ahead quickly but theyre not essential or pushed down your throat like some games.

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #23 Zevious Zoquis, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    While I get what you are saying, I think its a stretch to say console games are "generally" a full package of all those excellent qualities. I'd say its really more like 10-20% of console games feature all of good graphics, gameplay, plot et al. Most console games - like most games on any platform - are derivitive, dull retreads of already succesful games. The percentage isn't much better for supposed "AAA" games frankly. I can't tell you how bored I am of Call Of Duty...

Personally, I think theres quite afew games on IOS that are "console quality" in the sense that they are simply great games and thats really the only quality that matters. But even if all we're concerned with is visuals, I've seen games on current gen consoles that look worse than this one...

(maybe they were referring to the Wii... :p )

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #24 Card, Jul 25, 2012
    Gold as IAP?... well that sucks.

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    You are right of course! But I still think it is important to compare the AAA games on one platform with the AAA games of another in each genre to have a clear image of how the platforms fare against one another.

I really loathe the term "console quality". There are a few brilliant original games on ios that are really unique and feel very native to the platform...that is to say it doesn't feel like a clone of a console game both in terms of gameplay, controls and setting. Why stick a 'console quality' label on them? =p

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I just played this game for the last hour. It's great. I had fun and the controls were great once I got used to them. Sure I wished there was a D-pad option but the controls work just fine. Also this game at lag a little bit but it isn't a crasher (iPod touch owners know what I mean)

7. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I am just sooooo glad that this isn't FREE to begin with.

8. ben starks

ben starks Member

Jul 9, 2012
    even the simplest for of iAp gets the worse complaints.
    for those who choose to complain about any/everything, why dont you learn to code and bring something to the table?

thanks sanuku.
    will def. purchase this

9. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
  10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #30 awp69, Jul 25, 2012
    Wow, another game that I think I'm going to have to clear space for. Looks like a nice game to hold me over until Infinity Blade: Dungeons appears.

Do hope the IAPs are truly optional.

IVaro, since you've already got it, do you know what the installed size of the game is?

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

632,9 mb

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, Sanuku.

13. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Holy **** this looks awesome. I love dungeon crawlers and there aren't many on iOS. It's out world wide tonight? I'm ready to hit BUY. Hurry up and take my money already!

14. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    This is insta buy for me!!!!!!

15. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I'm constantly amazed that a whopping $3 is really that big of a deal breaker for a game. If you don't like it, so what...it was only $3.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this one. Been in a bit of an iOS gaming funk lately and typically enjoy hack-n-slash games.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While I certainly agree, I don't think anyone in this thread was complaining about the price tag. Only concerns were how the IAPs work and if they're necessary. If it's a good game, I'd pay well more than $3 for it, provided I knew that I wouldn't have an endless need for IAPs.

Sounds like they are just shortcuts. So I'm looking forward to it.

17. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    +1 on this.

Looks promising (again, would love to have D-pad), please keep the impressions coming!

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I know it is Universal, but does it have iCloud?
    Meaning I can play on iPad and then continue on iPhone and so on...?

Thanks!

19. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC