iPad Orbitsu - save the Star System!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pante, Feb 19, 2009.

1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #1 pante, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    straight from the application description:

"*** Only $1.99 for a limited time ***

An unknown force has invaded the Star System. The fate of the galaxy is in your fingers. Only you can clear the Star System and stabilize the universe.

Strategically launch orbs into the star field's orbit. Connect any 3 orbs of the same color to cause them to explode!

Any remaining orbs attached to an explosion will collapse and become Charged orbs.
    Connect a Charged orb with 1 orb of the same color to cause them both to blow up. Clear all orbs to complete the stage. As you progress, additional challenges arise such as orbit changes, black holes, super novas and more!

FEATURES:
    - Arcade Mode with 200+ Levels
    - Defender Challenge: Defend the Star System by tapping on incoming orbs to destroy them.

- Combo Challenge: Rack up insane combo chains with no limits.

- Survival Mode: Keep the Star System clear as long as possible.
    - High Scores
    - Up to 3 Player Profiles

** Compatible with iPhone and both iPod Touch Generations (1st & 2nd Gen) **"

so who wants to try it? :)

EDIT: oops, forgot about the link, sorry!
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305158743&mt=8

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The graphics look REALLY nice, but it looks waaay too frenetic for me.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    "3 orbs of the same color"

no way. no more match-3 games.

4. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    *Twitches*
    Just...on-one mo-more match 3. No! The pain. Oh the pain! It looks good but I've got no money to spend. Not after Cortex Command.

5. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I'm filled to the brim with match-3 games, sorry.

6. metalslime

metalslime Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Puzzle bobble's always been one of my favorite casual and puzzle games. I'll try this one out and let you guys know how it really is.

7. HelixTheAbstract

HelixTheAbstract New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I couldn't resist, I went and downloaded it. The screens are nice, but seeing it all in motion is another thing. Very trippy. Its like bust-a-move on crack with the gravity and 2D collisions.

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That belongs in the app store description

9. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    i was looking forward for this game after its launch -

but now, after seeing dev's gang of BOGUS REVIEWERS, i'm only get it for free, AND if i feel like it whenever...

10. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Yea, about 2 or 3 of the reviewers have only reviewed that game, and 1 or 2 other reviewers have only reviewed one other game other than Orbitsu.... I think I smell something funny, and it's not my laundry hamper...

11. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    *Sniffs the air*
    Oh sorry, that's just me. In any case, $1.99 is a pretty good price. TOFTT?

12. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    if you check on them, those who reviewed a bunch of apps, they are all "free" and mostly are just star-ratings (ahem, download -> delete -> rate random star) just to look like legit accounts.

i TOFTT last month (ufo .99c), i would on this, but devs are pushing it too hard to boost sells, don't like shady moves... i'm gonna save a couples of bucks for some other possible TOFTT, but i'll pass on this one

13. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I'll TOFTT. Downloading now.

14. different

Aug 8, 2008
    It plays very much like Puzzle Bobble and it's variants. The entire playing field is rotating in free space, and you make additions to it by tapping outside the circle. A 'ghost ball' will show you where the piece will place, and then it animates smoothly into the middle. Disconnecting balls from others will cause them to fly off the screen and back again, usually creating a chain reaction like combo.

There's special pieces like the rainbow ball that matches any colour, too. Each level (in arcade mode) is timed, and you get bonus points for beating a level quickly. However there's some issues - the selection of balls in the queue is random, and so if you have two purple balls left it may give you a green one instead of a purple one - unlike other such games which will give you the last colour on the board.

The presentation is imbalanced. On the one hand you have some trippy Bejeweled2 like effects when you complete a level, and the levels themselves look good. But it could be argued that the balls are just too small to accurately make out, especially when you progress into the game you will find balls that are different shades of grey. Also, menus and fonts are varied, and so it looks unprofessional as a result. Finally the music was a bit of a turn off, it's a little weird really.

It didn't really draw me to play the game again after the between level eye candy had worn off. With a bit more thought to the presentation, music and pace it could be a good game. For now? 4.5/10.

15. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanx for your review. I will definitely hold off on buying it until the game get's a respectable score/update.

16. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    thanks for the review. i knew there was something going on around those 5 star ratings... i might get when it drops to, uh, free?

17. different

Aug 8, 2008
    There is a plus point though, the icon is good. I'd give an 8 for the icon. :D

18. kosen11

kosen11 New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #18 kosen11, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    I started playing this game at "Ninja" difficulty thinking that since I am one IRL :D it would be a cake walk. Then I got to level 60 something and started getting really frustrated because the levels change rotation in the middle of gameplay and rotation patterns change every 10 levels. :( I bumped down the difficulty to Hard and now I'm at level 134.

I wish there was more variety in the gameplay music. I tried playing my playlist from my iPod, but it fades out on the splash screen.

The defender and combo levels give a nice break every 5 levels starting at 11, so you get a little mental break before pressing on.

You can get stuck with a color you just removed from the map one piece ago which can get annoying when trying to finish a level, but if you place it right next to a charged piece it will blow up with the other pieces.

I'd give it 8.5/10. It's no crapware, but it's not the most polished game either like Fieldrunners or Hero of Sparta.

19. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I noticed that this is on sale for .99, and I was kinda interested. However, is it worth it. I didn't really like the reviews I read here, but I only see two people who tried it. I also noticed that it has 19 out of 21 5 star ratings in iTunes. Are ALL of those fake. Seems pretty crazy to call that many reviews fake.

Thanks for the advice (ahead of time of course ;))

20. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #20 Donburns99, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    I'm on the fence with this one.