Orangepixel's Gunslugs 3: Rogue Tactics footage

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by orangepascal, Jan 18, 2018.

1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

#1 orangepascal, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Hey guys, a few months into working on Gunslugs 3: Rogue Tactics, so was about time to show you what direction the game is moving.
    The game will have a bigger focus on tactics and less on chaos (yay!) and it improves on various elements of the original Gunslugs.

As for release date, nothing set in stone, but I'm working towards April.. so.. let's just say 2018 ;)

Let me walk you through the game a bit here, and please remember that everything can still change, needs work, improvements, and is not final.. It won't suddenly turn into a turn-based strategy game, so the base is there and every detail needs balancing and tweaking before it's a final game ;)

Updated video on February - 2019

Kwanhee Seo likes this.
  2. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I am not really sure where the tactics part comes in, but the game looks pretty solid so far.

3. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I think it means (based on the footage) that it's not as fast passed/chaotic as the others. For me, this will be a welcome change and am really looking forward to following progress.

4. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    It looks fun. However, the series has been very difficult. I want to adjust the difficulty levels and implement an easy-to-use interface.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really looks good. Bit more slower than previous Gunslugs games which is good

Can’t wait to buy it

6. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Orangepixel's Games are good, but too hard.
    I hope this game is made with easy levels of difficulty.:)
    I'm looking forward to Gunslugs 3.

7. orangepascal

I hear you guys!
    I try my best to keep the game challenging, but not too difficult.. I promise!

8. Awesomepants

Awesomepants Member

Feb 21, 2017
    One thing you might want to consider is a difficulty setting, to accommodate different types of players.

9. orangepascal

Sorry for the lack of updates on this post.. The game is still in full development, just that I've been doing most of my updates in my weekly youtube "behind the scenes show" so I sometimes forget to post old-school text and gifs here and there ;)

So let me do a quick run-down of the current state of the game. I've been mostly adding content and features, this means writing code that allows the player to get into vehicles/objects, like this turret:

[​IMG]

Not super impressive stuff, but the code behind it allows more than just turrets, it allows all sorts of vehicles to be added now. Like tanks, mechs, spaceships, etc.

I've been redoing the weapon system about 4 times now, with the only constant being the melee system.
    [​IMG]

There are various melee weapons, and they come with different functions. A crowbar can be used to smash crates in one blow, a pick-axe can be used to climb ledges, a baseball bat is used to smash stuff around the place, etc. Also the knife can be used for stealth attacks from behind, killing enemies in one blow without them noticing you.

The current weapon system also adds a base-weapon to the melee weapon, with unlimited amount of ammo, and then you can pick up a large amount of different weapons for short usage depending on the amount of ammo.

Finally, I've been adding a bunch of different gameplay features which should make roaming around the buildings more interesting, things like ventilation shafts you can use to quickly move from one spot to another:
    [​IMG]

So the game is still in full development ! If you want to see more content, gameplay footage and info on the game, make sure to check out my weekly videos over on Youtube !

10. orangepascal

Another much overdue update on the game, for those who aren't following me on twitter/youtube, here's a quick selection of some pretty GIFS of the game:

[​IMG]

Crashes are nice and juicy !
    Also been adding the popup stores internals (comparable to the weird and silly buildings of the original Gunslugs, but better!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and another vehicle/item added to the game is the Jetpack, which will also shoot rockets (downwards) when I'm done with it ;)

[​IMG]

For a bit more behind the scenes stuff, this weeks devlog goes into some more details on how the pop-up stores are created:

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Said before i found Gunslugs a bit too hectic/crazy. Sounds good that this one is more about tactics, if you basically did an iOS version of Metal Slug that would be great ! Just a slower pace, plus with what you do a great job of (going into buildings to get ammo etc or it turns into a 'lite' platformer) it would be amazing.

Either way looking forward to this one

12. orangepascal

Another month later, and the game is finally showing some of the tactical stuff I've been trying to get going. Improved movement, sneaking, and using the surrounding environment to take out the enemy.

This weeks vlog was all about the gameplay, so if you got some time, check out the new stuff here as I add some notes on what needs changing and fixing:

13. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I love all your games!
    I would like to know if the game will have some endless mode in it (accessible after finishing the story mode). That would be great!
    In any case this game will be purchased by me instantly!
    Good luck in the developement! And thank you for making great premium games!

14. orangepascal

haven't thought about that.. the original one had an endless mode, and it mostly confused 99% of the players ;) but we'll see!!

also, just uploaded a new pure-gameplay video (7+ minutes) showing some more of the game (including some bugs!)

15. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    This is looking great. Can't wait.

When are you targeting for release?

16. orangepascal

Initially I had December in mind.. but since it's already November, I'm pretty sure it won't be December :) ...some months later

17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Just watched the latest gameplay video. Interesting, though I am not a great fan of platform games, but this looks a bit slower and more tactical than your average platform game.
    I was wondering if there is any sort of mapping in the game. I tend to get lost easily.

18. orangepascal

You'll need to be extremely good at getting lost to get lost in this one tho :) That won't be an issue!

19. orangepascal

It's been a bit quiet on the Gunslugs:Rogue Tactics front.. but mostly because I've been extremely busy with the game.
    Since the last update it has undergone a bunch of graphical changes, but also a lot of great gameplay additions making the game a lot more stealthy and tactical (IF the player wants to).. if all else fails, you can always grab any of the weapons and try to shoot your way out ;)

Latest gameplay video showing:

J05H, stubbieoz and bx59 like this.
  20. Eageron

Eageron Well-Known Member

May 29, 2015
    Game Development
    Munich
    This looks absolutely awesome!