Universal Oraia Rift (by Ahmed Al Shebli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Wizard_Mike, Sep 10, 2015.

1. TheRoyalQuest

TheRoyalQuest Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    If you just stand idle doing nothing for 3-5 seconds, an arrow will show you the path where go!

Check the gameplay video posted in the first page ;)

2. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Well...

My thought is that the game is interesting, but not amazing. Granted, I have only gotten as far as getting the Earth Stone, so read my thoughts with that caveat.

The controls are decent, but can be finicky. The real issue comes in how they are used in-game rather than any mechanical issue with them. For example, combat is literally holding down one button while doing nothing else on-screen while waiting to use the next spell. You just stand there and trade punches until either you fall over or the enemy falls over. The Roll is not a dodge as it rolls way too far a distance to allow effective counterattacks, not to mention that enemies are only disrupted by spells, meaning the only way to gain an advantage in combat is by using the spells. While that introduces tactics to the game, this kills any sense of excitement in the combat, as the basic attack never gets improved as you move forward, and the way you use that attack is by holding down one button. Only. Period. No combos, parries or blocks. This is boring. Ugh. As a matter of fact, the battles may have been better turn-based, rather than the real-time system the dev has now, as each attack becomes discrete from all the others by repetition. Pressing one button over and over again is simply more engaging and more fun than holding that same button down over the same period of time. At least enemies don't respawn.

The graphics are nice. The camera sometimes glitches through scenery, but that may be a consequence of having the camera be a free-control camera rather than a semi-fixed camera. Perhaps the dev can program it to restrict it from going through structures so that it doesn't clip through stuff? I dunno, I'm not a programmer XD

I find it odd that what the game called a "cave" actually looked like a desert. It had the broad expanse, sparse vegetation, and the sandy aesthetic of a desert, not the cramped, damp, rocky aesthetic of a cave. Eh, I shrugged and moved on.

Music is very nice. It doesn't fade in and out with area transitions though.

Overall, the game's a decent effort so far, especially for the work of one person. It's got its rough edges, but there's some entertainment to be had. The combat is unfortunately boring, though.

Make of my thoughts what you will.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

P.S. I'd give this four stars, with the lackluster combat being the reason it isn't five stars.

3. Charis220

Charis220 Member

May 30, 2013
    Are there bows in this game or just melee weapons?

4. AndreB

AndreB Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    ooohhhh came on.. Zelda like because it moves a block ? stop saying this please !

5. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    This was a lot of fun to test. Should keep you busy for a while.

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY

This sums up my thoughts as well. I really wanted this to be great as I was following the development, but it's just a little shallow and not holding my attention.

I feel bad saying this as I know the Dev worked hard and it's very impressive for a one man show.

7. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    Hello!

Thank you writing your impressions ;)

It look to me that you have just played SkyFang, or maybe barely seen the Earth Temple, that's great, I really suggest you give the game more time though, there's lots of puzzles of different kinds, lots of upgrades (Ability to hit more than one monster at a time, with the sword and the spells)

The game starts with the hero not that strong, but you'll see the hero becomes 10 times more powerful than what he originally is!

Again, thank you for playing Oraia Rift ;)

8. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Oh what the heck... Going to try this one out.. All is it just to support the one person Developer, just like me :)

9. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, I fought one battle, learned the dodge and...it took a while to kill the turtle thing...the sword animations were choppy and didn't always work. I'm running on an iPad Air.

I said "meh." And I haven't deleted it. I'm here seeing what I other people are finding in it. I might way until t gets a little more polish.

10. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    Reduced price

Hello dears!

Thanks a lot everyone for playing Oraia Rift!

As you may have seen, Oraia Rift hasn't really made well on the downloads side, as it didn't meet the level of polish iOS gamers expected in this game.

I decided to reduce the price to 1.99 in the mean time!

Unfortunately I got to go back and try to find a day job again, I'll try to work on smaller game ideas in my free time (While at the same time, being very interesting)

My focus is to collaborate with a brilliant artist, so I don't have to worry about my limited game development budget. I'm also trying to find some great game concept ideas!

Best of luck to all of you and thank you for following Oraia Rift development, it's been a pleasure for me, I learned a lot in that Journey ;) I'm 25 years old so I got plenty of time, I'll try again and again and again in the future!

If anyone got any ideas, feedback, keep me posted!

11. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I see you have released an update for the game. I'm glad you haven't given up on it as your post above seems to indicate. I think what you have accomplished with Oraia Rift as a one man team is quite impressive. I really hope you keep at it. Dedication to making a game better is something people really respect and want to see from developers. Keep polishing and tweeking and I'm sure your fan base will continue to grow. I wish you good luck and success as you move forward.

12. TheRoyalQuest

Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    Thank you for the comment, I took a break after 18 months of straight development, I'm back now.

I'm releasing a big uodate actually, 2.0 in the coming weeks :cool: for everyone who paid for the game! Redesigned environments and UI as per your requests guys, much less repetitive gameplay now, less unnecassry walks (Reduced by +300%)

If anyone have a feedback or request, just write it down and I'll try my best to deliver.

13. Charis220

Charis220 Member

May 30, 2013
    Can someone tell me if there are bows in this game or just melee weapons? Thanks!

14. TheRoyalQuest

Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    All the game large environments have been redesigned, including the amount of paths, combats ;)

Game is a mix of "Melee" and "Spells", originally there was bows, but they are removed.

Keep sending me the comments and feature requests, I would do my best to implement them!

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    I apologize. I am sorry for joking around like that.

16. TheRoyalQuest

Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    You can joke as much as you want ;)

17. TheRoyalQuest

Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    v2.2

v2.2 includes few bug fixes, and is going live on the AppStore in few hours from now ;)

Anyone interested to get the new version quickly can send request to access the TestFlight, as well, write your feedback over here if any!

18. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Good to know that you are making adjustments.
    The game overall is good. If you can improve combat system (trade punches) it can be a great game. Maybe making the combat more dangerous and short.
    Bring it to Apple TV. On a big screen will be even more fun.

19. TheRoyalQuest

Patreon Indie

Mar 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Kuwait
    Hi Marcos,

Yeah I've been thinking about that, any specific ideas or details you had?

I'm thinking of developing a different kind of monsters, for example, ones that attack from a distance?

What do you think? Any other ideas?

20. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015

Make puzzles more challenging.
    Develop a strategy to defeat oponents and not only trade punches and hit spells. Maybe add abilities to the hero (shield, invisibility, jump, traps).