Opinion on Game Center

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by colmulhall77, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Hey everyone! I was just wondering what your opinions on Game Center is and how you think Apple can improve it. I think the service is great and while I'd like to see some more features and widespread use I think it is the way forward for iOS gaming. Achievements make games so much more fun and genuinely make me want to go back for more even if I'm not really mad on the game!

Anyway this is my Game Center nickname - colmulhall77 please add me!

2. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    I dont care about it at all. I dont think anyone cares loool, xbl achievements and ps3 trophies are where it's at

3. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Lol the app is pretty bad, especially the UI.

In iOS 7, want to see Game Center 3.0...

●Game Store: Easier and better place to find and buy games.

●Online and offline friendlist: so you know who's online

●iMessage integration: message friends is a basic feature that XBL/PSN has

●Inbox for messages, invites, friend requests: so players can look at everything being sent to them at one place

●Also redesign the UI and make it less "chaotic" just DO NOT add leather to it. Make it more retro style like an arcade or something.

4. Keyeszx

Keyeszx Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Every now and then I try to get achievements for it but then I'm like it doesn't matter. Also having a pretty useless app and UI makes me less motivated to try. I hope they give it an overhaul if they expect to be serious with games.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #5 Greyskull, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    I would certainly be happy if it behaved as advertised, at least by some devs. Take Jetpack Joyride; supposedly you can sync your progress using either GC or openfeint. Playing it through the update released around Christmas that year (on my old iPod 2), I had unlocked everything. I had all upgrades, items, and badges.

Now I have a 4S. DL The game, updated of course, via the wifi store. GC showed my scores and achievements correctly, but I couldn't access my progress, and hell if I was going to try starting over.

6. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    My thoughts on multiplayer and how the friends list works:

It's ok for playing random opponents, but lousy when the game gives you a choice of how many players you want to join. It needs some to implement a system whereby you can see approximately how many people are waiting to join which game size, i.e. 2 player, 4 player, etc.

When it comes to the friends list, it's missing a crucial feature...who's online! Am I supposed to randomly shoot everyone in my friends list who has the game I want to play a request?

7. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Gamecenter is a nice addition to the iOS platform. I wouldn't go as far as to say it revolutionises iOS gaming, but it is on the road to getting better. The achievement system is fine I guess, but I don't like the friends system. It is really annoying when you add a friend and they decline it. It should just add them.

One thing to end on. I am signed in to Gamecenter, and I get a message "***Sandbox***". What does this mean?

8. Keret

Keret Member

Jul 8, 2012
    I think they need to upgrade it in lot´s of ways. Integration, design, usability...

Right now, is like an ugly green billiards desk or poker game center...

It will be great if developers can make competitions through it, and add some prizes, messaging tools, etc etc...

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont care for game centre. Have over 600 games installed but just not bothered about GC, just like playing all the games

10. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, GC isn't really the best thing. An option to delete GC would be a good step. I heard with iOS 6 coming later this year, GC is going to be revamped. I will post a link if I find.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While not perfect, it's better than nothing. I pop in to look at leaderboards crime time to time. For games that I care about, I'm satisfied once I hit the top 5%. I know there's a lot of hacked scores so I don't care about the very top scores. I wish Apple can just create a website for gamecenter just to view your leaderboards and achievements. Especially on the iPod touch, it loads so slow.

12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I happen to enjoy Gamcenter because of the achievements system, particularly when it comes to freemium games. If I am paying money for additional upgrades, I find it more enjoyable when there are achievements. Several great suggestions in this thread as there needs to be additional features added. In any case, when a game does not have game center support, I'm much less likely to buy it unless its an exceptional game.

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Gamecenter has plenty of quirks. For the longest time it had me listed as one of my friends.:confused:

14. kujen

kujen Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    I love the achievements. But the #1 thing they could do to improve is add the ability to message and talk to your friends. I'd love it to be more like Xbox Live or PSN.

Also, they should remove the real names. I want to be able to add a bunch of people I meet online, but don't see a reason for them to know my full name unless we become good friends.

15. I urge you to try to hit the top 2% in every game, either that or change your name to Tops5. ;)

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I think it's pretty impressive when you consider it's an online platform for mobile devices, a greater feat than many folks obviously give credit for. But it is a source of contention when it loads within a game, causing lag and such.