Universal OPERATION DRACULA (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Download this game!!! It is spectacular!!! I want it to make money b/c it deserves it & maybe someday they keep adding stuff!!! I love this game!!! Man if is awesome!!! Real arcade action!!!

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    That's a good point. When I stop comparing it to bullet hell shooters and just play it as a shooter, it's really fun. Also the bullet hell part starts to get better by the third boss. I have to revise my opinion again and say this game is excellent. The only improvements I'd like are to have some other options for triggering the special and bombs. I'd like the option of having them as two buttons, which can be configured to be on the left or right side so you can trigger them with whatever hand isn't controlling the ship.

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Ok this might be the hardest game I've ever played.. So chaotic.. It's hard to tell what's going on at times.. I still like it, was able to score 120,000 plus points but damn..

Digging the old school vibe for sure ##

4. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    #84 Shaun C, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    I think one of the difficulties of releasing a shmup these days is that Cave made such an impact on the genre that people often compare any new release to Cave's big titles and then judge it on that basis, even if the game in question isn't trying to replicate Cave's style.

To me this game feels a lot more like it's drawing on Raizing's games -- maybe not as intricate as Armed Police Batrider or Battle Garegga, but with similar speed and urgency. And similar graphical style, for that matter.

Also, I haven't worked out how complex the scoring system may or may not be at this point, but I suspect it isn't totally straightforward because I played to end of easy mode and only scored 477840, whereas the top score on the board is 989360. So assuming that's not a cheat score, that player is milking more than double the points I got, and I was collecting everything I could get my hands on.

5. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Does the lack of iCloud support affect this game or is it one of those that doesn't have save profiles and upgrades so that you basically start from scratch each time?

6. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Love the style, loathe the gameplay. Games like this mostly serve to remind me that I should dust off Shogun more often. Kind of regret paying seven bucks for a reminder to play the best iOS SHMUP that I already own.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, there are no upgrades and there's no need for a save profile since once you're dead it's right from the get-go again. iCloud's mostly useless in this case.

8. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Yes. Everybody comparing to a cave game is sincerely missing the point. I love Cave and have all of their games but this one, this one is closest to APB. Armed Police Batrider is for me the greatest SHMUP ever made. There are numerous differences of course, I hope more characters are added and team selections becomes possible and that stage order can also be changed. Overall an amazing first effort and I'm sure I'll be playing for a long long time.

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Does this work with the iCade?

10. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    This. I haven't posted on the forums ever since CAVE stopped releasing new games, but this game brought me here again. I love the game, no question about it. But the controls get annoying. Would really love to see the developer implement multitouch for the special power. In a game which requires very precise movements, its annoying if you have to lift up the finger/thumb with which you are controlling the ship to double tap, even if it's for a split second. It literally gets you killed.

The "Bomb UP" sound reminds me of Ibara. Love it! Was that the original inspiration? Just curious.

Please please fix the controls. Would make this game perfect.

11. Champagne01

Champagne01 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #91 Champagne01, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Yeah this is pretty good. The music is amazing, and I get the whole 80s nostalgia trip.

Playing on an iPhone 6+, and I do I feel myself wanting sensitivity controls. It's just a bit too wide to play one-handed.

The boss sections also feel like they drag on a bit.

I think also mentioned on the thread was that you spend a lot of time underpowered, especially during the boss fights.

But this is a good, fun game, and I'm definitely enjoying it; the music player is an awesome addition I wish more games had.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Need some help since my eyes and fingers are not what they used to be.

When I shoot stuff and it looks sort of like stuff turns to rocks, or boulders - will those also hurt me? There is so much background things happening, I can't see what is going to kill me and what is not. I can't avoid everything, but I don't even know what to avoid... Is it just the bright shiny stuff that will kill me, and I can not worry about the dull looking stuff?

Thanks for any help. I can get through the first boss, but I really have no idea why - as noted, I am just trying to avoid everything, but when I get hit, I don't know what did damage to me - bright shiny things, or dull looking things, or is everything on the screen possibly dangerous - in which case I will probably have to shelve the game.

13. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I was wondering this too. Except I have an icade jr.
    Anybody know if it works with either?

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Suggestion/request: audio options, where the music can be muted but the effects kept. Unless I'm missing that option somewhere...

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    No iCade support (yet...)

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Awesome. Looking forward to playing this on the iCade eventually. :)

17. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Save quit function that immediately exits the game. You come back, it continues right where you left off while deleting that save. I want to stop & any time. Awesome game!!!!

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Wow - I'm on holiday but thought I'd check this out. Never really dug bullet hell games (my fault entirely - just found them too damn busy) despising owning (in the old fashioned literal term) far too many. This is brilliant though. Just had my first game on normal. Absolutely mental. Properly good game - I may some day
    go back to Dodonpachi but this'll lead me in nicely. Great stuff.

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Game has grown on me a ton. Btw, in the game instructions for controller support it mentions using a button tht seemingly slows things down and allows for more precise dodging. Doesn't apply to touch I'm assuming.

20. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I think the idea with touch is you can move as slow
    As you want to anyway ;-)
    I like touch controls okay and all, but I do prefer the controller where I can hold the fire button and reach over and touch the "slow down" button whenever I need to. Most games the slow down or more controlled fire cancels
    Out the regular fire so you can always be holding regular and reach for slow when needed.
    Seems like a cool game. When will the price go up?