Universal OPERATION DRACULA (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 29, 2015.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Amen brother you said it! This is true bullet hell and it's done right! From the controls to the graphics it's polished! Thank you Crescent Moon I really love all your games but this is is special to me!

Billy

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    The game is as great as everyone is saying. Definitely buy it if you like bullet hell games at all. From my brief time with it, it seems up there with the best iOS bullet hell shmups.

I will say though that the controller support is disappointing. It only supports the d-pad for movement, not analog sticks, which makes the controller support pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned. I know touch controls are arguably better for shooters anyway, but I just really enjoy playing shooters with a controller, and was looking forward to having an iOS bullet hell shooter other than Phoenix HD with controller support. I hope the dev adds support for extended layout controllers and analog sticks.

3. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Great job guys this is excellent but then again I just love shoot em ups in general. Only had a quick go so far as I was playing Race the Sun until late, too much greatness this week.

4. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    This game is fantastic all around - I'm loving it. I do have a question about the music player, which is a cool & unusual feature:

Is there a way to shut off the music entirely so I just have sound effects? Sometimes I'm in the mood for music and sometimes not.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    An excellent game. Great graphics, love the sound effects and voices, really is a great homage to early 90's shooters.

Did spot the odd typo but to me thats part of the charm (I remember some japanese shoot em ups in the arcade with terrible english).

Well worth the money, a great game

6. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Yeah the difficulty while being pretty brutal. But not to the point where it frustrate me. And same here I got get better every time I play. Also each plane really play very differently which is another great thing. So far I can't find much flaw in this game. Easily a 5/5 from me. :)

7. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Yeah I wish they use the analog instead of Dpad which will give a more precise movement control. But they did mention in their tutorial this game is optimized for touch. MFi is more like an extra feature thou it could have been better. But it does not really bother me. As the touch control in this game is nothing but great. :)

8. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #48 Dailon80, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Glad I didn't pass this one up! This is the game I was hoping it would be. Excellent game all around.
    And now that I've had some time to play it this is going to be my fav shoot em up game ever before it's said and done. No question best since the 90s!

9. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    Been waiting for this one. Instabought, and no regrets.

I love it when you play a game and you can tell at once that the devs really poured their hearts into it. This is surely one of those games.

Really digging the visuals, the sound, the whole deal. And in case anyone is wondering, it runs silky smooth at 60fps on an iPad 3. Always great to see!

Now... who's going to knock me off the top of the leaderboard, I wonder? :D

10. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Android version?

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #51 bilboa, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    I totally agree controller support isn't needed. Given that most iOS bullet hell shooters don't have any controller support, it wouldn't make much sense to criticize this game because it has not very good controller support. The touch controls are just as perfect as they are in the Cave iOS ports, which is to say excellent.

I was just disappointed because I like playing bullet hell games on my Xbox with a controller, and when I read this game had controller support, I was excited. I realize the game was optimized and balanced for touch controls, but there's no reason the controller support couldn't be better. Right now it doesn't have analog stick support, and even with the d-pad it also doesn't seem to allow any variation in movement speed even though MFi d-pads are pressure sensitive and provide analog input. When you push the d-pad, the ship always moves at full speed, so fine movements are almost impossible. This makes the controller support pretty much unusable in a game that requires as much precision as this one. I hope the devs decide to improve the controller support, though I'll continue to enjoy the game with touch controls regardless.

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We'll look into the analog stick option. Supporting this game with MFi was a little tricky since its vertical - but I think that should be doable.

13. kopicha

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Wow great to hear. Thou it does not really bother me. I love games with MFI support considering I have one and would love to make good use of it. But like you have mention the game is being played in vertical mode. Not sure if it's viable to place my iPad standing in portrait just to use controller. But it is still great to hear you guys will look into possibility of making it better. For now will continue to enjoy it via he default touch control :)

14. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Crescent Moon Games have released so much shovelware but every aeon or so when the stars are right they release a gem like this.
    That makes me happy.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think thats a bit harsh, i know Exiles got quite a slating but i think Crescent Moon overall have been excellent. Aralon I was brilliant, Ravensword 1 and 2 were great. Paper Monsters an iOS classic. Gears was good. Shadow Blade a recent platformer which was great. 2-bit Cowboy a great Gameboy style platformer.

Their big releases mostly have been great. Still cant wait for Aralon II

16. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Are there different difficulty settings? Like novice for me:)

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yes, Normal and Easy. I actually started with Normal but now I prefer Easy. Its still really hard on Easy.
    I play level 2 a lot just because of the music.

18. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Very good Josh thanks
    Have to go get an iTunes card, how long is the promotional sale on for?

19. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Can't beat the 3rd level on normal. Lol. I suckz

20. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    probably for a few days, we'll see how its going.
    also, getting to level 3 isn't an easy task, took me 5 times just to beat level 1 I think.