Universal Open Bar - Keep 'em coming! (By Gingear Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Screenshot the second one and leave the app. The timer stops. It does rely on your iThing holding the app in memory, but it's been working for me as long as I don't forget and go do something else.

2. Yeah, that sounds like a PITA. :p
    I really don't think the missions fit the game well. They feel very forced, as does winning coins after each level. I like the different themes, though. Would have been happy with just unlocking a new one every 10-20 levels.

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I thought the dev clarified in an earlier post that the levels were not procedurally generated. Don't quote me on that one. Lol

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I was too lazy to look back more than a couple of pages earlier, but you got me wondering so I looked back further and found this:

5. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
  6. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Hey guys!

Sorry for being late in the discussion, we were at PAX East for the last couple of days.

Levels are procedurally generated but the same for everyone. The level number is used as the seed for the generator, which makes that possible.

We'll work on a colour blind mode in the next update, as this is a frequent request.

As for your comments about the missions, we'll take it into account. Our goal was to add diversity as you have a secondary objective. Think of it as the missions in Jetpack Joyride. They are often completed automatically without any effort, but you can accelerate your progression if you focus on completing as much as possible.

Anyway, we'll think about it and try to find alternative mission types. If you have any suggestions, write them here and we'll check it out.

Thanks!

7. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I personally really like the missions. I love having a secondary objective. I do think maybe a toggle for timed missions would be good (like, turn off missions with a countdown). While I don't mind them, when my wife eventually boots up the game on her phone, she is going to get really annoyed with those. I think the timed missions reflect some of the earlier phases of the game (via your dev diary), but not really the final version, which is a super zen experience. Alternatively, a skip mission button (free or for coins) could solve that.

As far as other missions, here are a few ideas:

Play N times with X theme/skin.
    Use Undos N times.
    Watch 1 video ad. (never more than 1 - should be a mission type that can be turned off or skipped)
    Make N lines with X color. (would need to change based on theme/skin)
    Make a line of 1, 2, and 3 length in one puzzle.
    Make N segments disappear at once. (like, 4+ segments - would require making two matches at once or using a cross piece)

8. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks for your suggestions, we're surely take that into account in an upcoming update!

9. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Hello, why are there adverts in a paid application? I accidentally clicked on watch video for a hint and it drained 20mgb. Please remove the adverts, they aren't supposed to be in a paid app.

Anyways great game! I'm on level 70. Only one suggestion is to add new soundtrack/music? Currently it's very repetitive and gets old quickly

Great game! 9/10 (-1 for ads)

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Hi. Only just saw your reply, devs.

Jerutix' mission suggestions sound good. The no skip is the particularly onerous thing. If you get a mission like "Solve 3 consecutive puzzles in 90 seconds", I might eventually manage to beat that but it might take a lot of matches. Some people are just never going to beat that, so you end up with a timer on the screen forevermore, reminding you of your failure and making a relaxed puzzling experience feel not very calm.

If you add a skip, you could always balance it by awarding different amounts of points for different missions, maybe between 5 and 25?

11. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Hey guys! Been a long time since we posted here. Rest assured that we do everything in our power to improve Open Bar! There's a major update coming by the end of this summer, and even more coming later.

As for the ads in a paid app, we decided to go this way instead of having IAP to unlock hints. Some (premium) games charge as much as $0,99 for 10 hints. Ads, on the contrary, let you keep playing forever without spending a dime.

BTW, thanks for the 9/10! :D