Universal Open Bar - Keep 'em coming! (By Gingear Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 28, 2016.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Awesome. Really looking forward to it. :)

2. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    #22 Collin, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    I haven't bought this yet, but if there are infinite levels, then I imagine they are randomly/procedurally generated.

If they are, how about earning a new hint for each level you beat without using a hint; or every two or three if one is too easy? Then to get around the problem of someone being out of hints, allow a puzzle to be skipped. Watching an ad to earn a hint seems like an abuse of the player's time in a premium title.

You could further incentivize not skipping levels by awarding successful runs of levels: beat five in a row, get "x" award; beat 10 get something else; 20, 50, 100, etc.

I know that 1.99 isn't extremely premium, and I've seen worse offenses in games with the same price point. Still, as you see, it can rub some people the wrong way.

3. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions! Yes levels are procedurally generated. Skipping them is something we considered at some point, and I like the idea of rewarding players for solving X puzzles in a row. However, doing this would be a major change in progression.

Many premium games sell hints as IAP for ridiculous prices (0,99$ for just a couple of hints). We thought this was abusive, and most players will never buy IAP anyway. That's why we turned to ads.

We're actually considering making hints 100% free. This would be the easiest solution and wouldn't change anything at all in player's progression. If this is something players would really like, we can make the change for the next update. We'll continue monitoring how you guys feel about hints over the next few days and take a decision as quickly as possible.

4. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    That makes some sense. I will never use a hint no matter how difficult a puzzle is, so as a player I will never see tha ad button. However, the screen said "mission: use a hint." So I assume there is some kind of mission/goal set-up in the game. I hit the hint button to complete the mission only. Well, I want skins so I don't want to spend credits & I have no interest in an ad (not the end of the world, but this is a premium game to me so I have no interest in ads).

Now, you could have it so the player does not receive credits if they is a hint to solve a puzzle.

If you take away the use a hint mission then I can live the ad situation b/c I will never see it.

Really at this point I like the game & don't see much to change or add. I typically like star screens, but what would those be here? If there are missions I wouldn't mind a mission screen showing missions & maybe how many times they have been completed. None of that is a big deal just frills.

Does this game have "infinite" levels and it just keeps going up numerically?

5. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    An ad is much better than paying for a couple hints. That is a great point. I don't want to discourage people or sound too negative here. This is a great game & you being here talking about it means A LOT!!! Thank you!!!

6. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks a lot for your feedback! Yes there's an infinite amount of puzzles. :)

You made a good point about the "use a hint" mission. In some situations, it may pressure players to watch an ad, which is really unfair and wasn't our intention at all. (And later on there's even more missions like this.) We'll think about it and find a solution for the next update.

We're thinking of either reducing the credits cost of using hints (let's say we drop it from 25 to 15 credits...?), or as you suggested, give hints freely but remove the reward of solving a puzzle when you used one.

7. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I like the second idea. I'll be picking this up soon.

8. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    #28 ShinHadoukin, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    How about an option to remove hints? So the question mark button would be removed. So those who want hints & don't mind ads as an option can use it & those who don't never see it. As is its fine really, but to me the whole point of a puzzle game is to solve puzzles...nothing else. If you use a hint then you didn't solve the puzzle. I know people like it so cool. Now, if you take the mission to use a hint I'm happy too.

9. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't think an ad for a hint is bad if it help the developer. You can add bigger boards as IAP. Devs need to be brave and find ways to support/monetize their work, is a shame that fine games need to be priced low in order to get attention.

10. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Nevermind about bigger diferent boards i just saw that there are different boards from level 26. :)

11. gingearstudio

gingearstudio Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Hey guys! Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions. :) Just wanted to let you know that we're currently considering the possibility of removing ads as discussed, and make an ad-supported free version. We didn't want to do that in the first place, but we feel it might be a compromise that'd satisfy everyone.

However, before doing anything we want to measure how much revenue our ads generate. In the meantime, we'll remove the "use a hint" missions to reduce frustration as much as possible.

Your thoughts?

12. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    Removing the mission is perfect. The point that many (most) have paid hints, your ad version is better. I certainly want more games from you if this is the quality you make. Hey, maybe even content for this game & you need money to do it.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think remove the missions related to ads is the ideal thing to do, but IMO there's nothing wrong with watching ads for hints, if it's opt-in. I know it may come off weird and silly for a premium title, but it's better than having IAP packs for hints. I know I'll end up a one man army in this battle, but I say keep it as it is.

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    While $1.99 isn't much for a premium title a tune I see IAP foe what is supposedly a premium title I stay away from because something doesn't fell right. It may seem silly hit prepping is premium. I'm not opposed to paying for additional content but am super turned off by games with iap and have typically stayed away from them etc...

Your game looks great but unfortunately after getting crashlands and having over 20+ games on my list to play all premium titles I'll need to pass for now although I'm impressed with the game looks! MYbe I'll get it in the future. Congrats! Thanks for being an engaged designer with TA.

15. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You're a two man army now. Well, one woman and one man army :)

Totally agree with your pov.

I actually think the ads for hints are a great way to keep making money from the game, without hassling the player to keep purchasing consumable iaps (which are often stupidly high prices) for hints. The player gets the hints they want if they need it at no extra cost, and also supports the dev, so that future updates are more likely.

16. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You coukd also reward players with hints or credits for sharing to social media after level completion.

It's not something is do because my friends would get cheesed off, but others may :)

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Good to have you on my side. :) Shall we be known as Puff 'n' Metal? ;)

But yeah, that's exactly my train of thought. It's an excellent way for those who keep saying "I wish I could have done this and that to support you further". With absolutely no effort, you're slipping a couple of extra bucks into the developer's pocket without feeling like they've got their hand in yours.

Also, forgive my stupid English in that first post. >_>

18. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Im on level 37 and is a great relaxing game.
    Two questions:
    1) If is infinite... do drinks cycle? im in the Gin Tonic "skin" do you have infinite drinks ;)
    2) Since the levels are not hand made how do you address difficulty? from level 20 to 37 i find the difficulty has not increased.

Thanks!

19. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I personally would be fine with ads for hints.

BUT the missions where you need to use hints should be removed. Otherwise you are sort of forced to watch ads. Because if I have run out of money and that missions appears, I'm stuck with that mission for ten games or so. Which sucks and I'm probably watching an ad to gef a new mission. Which then worsens the user experience.

Or,
    use the idea mentioned somewhere above where hints are free but I won't get a reward. (the games played number should also stay the same if you finish a level where you used hints, otherwise people are abusing it to raise the games played number).

20. CarlosR

CarlosR Member

Jan 29, 2016
    #40 CarlosR, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Another request: add more soundtracks... im playing this a lot and the music is getting too familiar ;)