Universal Only One (by Ernest Szoka)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    Only One Update

Just an update to Only One progress.

The free unbound virtual joystick I'm now thinking of adding as the default joystick, also attack button and right hand ui will be raised a bit on the right instead of being the corner for iPad only.

Free joystick activates anywhere on the left 1/4 portion of the screen and below the pause button, I've also made the bounding areas bigger for the joystick so it's hard to slip off

Should be in late next week or the week after depending on Apple approval process

You can go back to the fixed joystick in the settings menu

[​IMG]

I also plan on making the earlier portion of the game a bit harder and the whole game in general just a little more challenging. For example green foot soldiers will drop hearts 45% of the time instead of 50% and will swipe a bit sooner

Here is the changelist

1.0 (current iOS version)

1.01 (waiting for review- might reject and go straight for 1.03)
    - rebalance game some enemies (Mc Fisto) may be easier
    - all attacks will hit (but not damage) bubbled hero regardless of previous simultaneous hits
    - score is now displayed in the game over menu (will pulse yellow if it is highscore)
    - animations will no longer stop when scrolling in abilities menu (pause screen)
    - push ability upgrade now 20% increment instead of 15%
    - game is no longer pausable while close to death (falling)
    - loading msg stays on longer if gamecenter is logging on before title start
    - frame rate minimum is 20 fixing sudden rapid movement when the game is interrupted
    - more clouds

1.02 (current Android release)
    - made earlier levels and bosses a little bit harder
    - some characters give less power orbs
    - balancing and minor tweaks

1.03 (new submission)
    - Slightly more challenging game
    - Non fixed virtual joystick (enable in settings menu)
    - Fixed Android permissions (no more location access requirement)
    - Reduced nagging messages and arrows for upgrades and IAP
    - Larger virtual joystick touch boundary

After this I'll be trying to add a never ending mode after the boss (for Ultimate Power players only)

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Looks great and I'm pretty excited about the added challenge and floating stick. :) thanks a lot for your awesome work!

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    yeeeeeeessss!

4. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    LOL, I'm stuck on MC Fisto. Loving this game great all around!

You should be very proud. Job well done!

Rob

5. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    1.01 just hit "in review" you just might be able to beat him tonight

6. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Looks like great updates, RebelBinary. Getting my ultimate power later.

McFisto also gave me trouble the first time I got to him. I got Push, a heart, and Reflektor; thinking I should have gone with freeze.

I just Pushed a Mage off the tower, only to have him teleport back on! Then he immediately fire balled me off the tower. Lol, great game!

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    #107 Amenbrother, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Dang it now I wish I stuck playing on my iPad but I decided to play on my iPhone because it felt better.

I didnt know you were going to make it control better on iPad.

I even bought the doubler on my iPhone but there is no cloud saving huh? I know you can restore purchases but I played alot on my iPhone already :(

8. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Quick question do you think the Attack button should be higher as seen on my screen shot above? Or is better to keep it in the corner, or where it is now.

Also I use Corona SDK and it sets iCloud support by default, but I never tested it. If you could install Only One on your iPad and let me know what happens, please let me know, I'm totally in the dark about iCloud.

9. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    5 STAR GAMEperiod

10. Grettir0

Grettir0 Active Member

Aug 1, 2013
    I think the button should stay where it is for now or add a toggle in the main menu to make it higher

11. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I think it would be good a little higher so we can kind of hold our iPads in the middle more. I loaded it up on my iPad and it starts me all over so no progress across multiple devices. I could restore my doubler but progress wasnt there, hope that helps! I would be so happy if you could figure out how to get cloud saving working.

12. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    iPad Layout
    [​IMG]

I don't have room to put more options in the settings now if I want to get this update out as soon as I can (meaning tonight), but since I have some complaints about the bottom right corner being to low I think going to go with the above layout for iPad

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wow, made it to the top of the leaderboard. And behind me, Rocketcat! Nice.

14. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    #114 kaibosh, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    This game provides more fun than most $10 Million titles from the major Dev studios, and the fact that it was coded by one guy makes me cramp up with jealousy. This is exactly the kind of game that should be a TA 'game of the week', and I really hope that it gets enough exposure (and income) to give the Dev the desire to churn out a fleshed out sequel. I will likely buy the coin doubler just for support on one of my android devices, sorry to say the doubler doesn't seem necessary otherwise just because it is so FUN to play.

If nothing else this modest game reminds us all that there is a dearth of quality arcade hack and slashers out for touchscreen gaming, the swordplay in this game is far more satisfying than Infinity Blade or anything else since Swordigo.

edit: I am baffled that people have issues with control placement, they work great for me on my iPad 3 and I am quite picky about such things. I mean, I have lacerations from that verdamked ultra-retro 'Slayin' button setup, but any mention of making smaller buttons closer to the sides for iPad players in that thread has mobs forming to head to the observatory....

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    MC Fisto was a bit of a cakewalk my first time with freeze, I'm guessing people are having trouble with another skill. My problem right now is the road from 61-70, the mini fistos are a bit ridiculous, they are so unpredictable and the angle on their charge is pretty difficult to avoid even with both movement increases unlocked. I like the challenge and have made it to about lvl68 so far but they either catch me at an angle charge or just get me off guard because it seems their charge time is random and I let up a little after a charge, thinking they will be awhile for another but no sure enough as soon as I hit another enemy they charge again.

16. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the kind words, it's hard to make everyone happy, but I'm doing my best. I actually have toned down the amount of some of the power(coin) drops from bosses and certain enemies in a future update so it's going to be a bit less generous.

Now please make a choice on the iPad right hand side layout cause I'm only picking one.

Here's a trick with Berserkers (their official title), I calculate where they go right before they start running, and if your moving in one direction they will try to compensate and hit you where you'll be when they get there. So move away from them when they get angry and as they start running, switch directions to either the left or right of their path to avoid getting hit.

17. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Mobs? I don't remember tons of posts like that...
    Here's one:

Okay, a bit rude with that last question, but at least there's mention that the buttons are bigger than they appear. :eek:

I guess I should get on the topic of this game.
    I played once so far, and I liked it.
    ...So many games, so little time... :p

18. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont think it would hurt to move it up a little just like the left side.

19. Loistava

Loistava Member

Sep 6, 2013
    I think the controls are perfect for ipad mini retina atm. Left side feels natural. Make it floating if you want everyone to be happy. But dont change it with fixed.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Damn. I did a complete playthrough and was so close to lvl 40, then the game just crashed and I was thrown to homescreen. :(