Universal Only One (by Ernest Szoka)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Posted this suggestion in the other thread, in response to the game starting easy
    What about a hardcore mode that just throws the hardest enemies at the player?

2. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    #22 RebelBinary, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Will add a floating joystick to the update after next (currently waiting review), I have gamepad controller support working on Android but unfortunately Corona SDK (the engine it's written in) isn't supporting iOS controllers yet. I will put it in as soon as they become available.

I play on iPhone 4S and only have a Nexus 7 as a tablet, so didn't take the iPad form factor into account as much as I should have.

I'll think about some way to escalate the difficulty faster later, but for now just level up to 30 and beat the lvl 40 boss and then come back to me.

3. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Game is making it to the face screen on load up. Then loading...... Then nothing iphone 5s

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm really liking the concept here, unfortunately I'm on my 5th twelve hour shift at work and won't have much time to play :(

5. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Gamecenter is trying to login, next update keeps the "loading" until it's complete, just wait or restart it.

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Having a lot of fun with this one. Wish it was a bit more responsive but that might have been what the dev was going for. Real fun!

7. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is the best voice talent in a iOS game since Zorbie. I'm actually giggling playing this.

8. amos38

amos38 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Hehe, still laughing about the " free cake" that appeared in the game :) so far a very fun game. I think the difficulty ramps up fine. That will also allow my son to play too.

9. ccruncher

ccruncher Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Really enjoying this. A fun arena slasher with a ton of depth. The cake made me completely fall in love with it.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for the fast reply. Can hardly wait to play this. I can play but very awkward. How about MULTIPLAYER. Would desperately like to knock some of these guys off their pedestal. Ha! Ha! I'll build my hit list while you build the multiplayer ok?

11. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #31 Echoen, Feb 7, 2014
    I should have a gameplay video up later (says 70 minutes to go). Got up to 32 I think? Played it some more and beat the level 40 boss. :) Strategy against him is be aggressive since it's kill or be killed.

MFi controller support would be sick for this!

And I know there's a Bubble skill but how about a dodge button? Kinda like in Guild Wars 2 where it has stamina.

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I'd like to see an opacity option for the movement joystick. The other icon placements are fine, but that button can sometimes block part of the arena

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Also wish this had achievements. Think about it...

When you collect enough power, you get the achievement called [It's Over 9000!!]

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Woah! Simply put: my new favorite iOS game! Hits all my 100000000 / Sword & Sworcery / indie game nerves. Presentation is top notch, controls work really well, there's tons of heart in it. All those details like the shaking ground, the free cake, trolls. And there's also quite some strategy in it. You won't get too far with simply button smashing. This game is the coolest iPhone hack'n'slash for sure.

The coin doubler iAP was a must for me to support the dev!

15. FRnchFRy

FRnchFRy Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Great great game. Finally a good game that doesn't make you pay to be the best. It's a fantastic, easy to understand, hard to master, strategy game. I've really been waiting for something like this, you know, with dungeon keeper and all that. Anyways, thanks a lot for making a game that actually requires you to think and strategize. I'll probably buy coin doubler too just for the support. ^.^

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey does anyone know what that character rebuild thing is when you pay $1.99 for the doubler? I don't quite understand.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Best iOS title for me personally I've seen in months. I had to drop the 1.99 to support you. The personalities of all the enemies are awesome, and I loved the throwback to the treasure goblins from golden axe! Did you create this as a 1 man dev team? If so, major major props, wow - lots of creativity, and surprisingly for something so far into pixel left field the combat is top notch. I'm blasting frost bombs, then sidestepping frozen enemies to kill past shields, angling foes so they don't drop my precious orbs off the side, really really good stuff.

The only thing immediately I could see myself wanting is maybe new platforms. And of course 8 player arena matches! :p

How would that even be possible, you would have to host a server or something, or is that type of functionality built into iCloud somehow? Anyway great game, here's to hoping we see more bosses and worlds in future updates.

18. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    #38 RebelBinary, Feb 7, 2014
    Correct. To rebuild your character you need the doubler "Ultimate Power" $1.99 (it's the added bonus). Otherwise you live with it, or you can erase your entire character, lvl/xp and all in the settings and start from scratch (ultimate power is permanent IAP).

19. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Here's my gameplay video if you still haven't downloaded it. But I'd get it now and play it as it's free and absolutely worth the trouble!

Got up to level 33. And I knew that cake packed a punch. :D:D:D

20. RebelBinary

Jun 11, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thank you! Thank you! for all your support, yes Only One was made by only one dev, myself. Another dude (James Cox) did the awesome music. It took a year, a lot of it full time and a lot of learning and trial and error.

Multiplayer is something I can't even begin to think about, maybe for a sequel "Only Two". It would be amazing, but a mountain of work so for now I can't commit. It would require a re-write of the game.

New platforms are difficult because the A.I exists in a circle, I'd rather add new content and encounters. It certainly maybe be possible in the future.

I hope to continue adding more stuff to this game, so if you do like it please rate it, review it, spread the word, I would love to be able to support myself on this project full time and make this game even better!

Ernest