Onlive: the future of gaming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Mar 27, 2009.

1. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I just entered my name into the pool for the invite, any idea when or if I will get an invite?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I know what a millisecond is. That kind of performance is easily achieved by today's processors. Any internal latency is usually an issue of bus speed or display refresh (especially with slower LCD displays). The point of that 1 millisecond statement is not that OnLive solves all potential bottlenecks but that their server system will not be one of them.

A tip for you BS detectors: engineers don't lie about stuff that's easily verifiable (like latency rates). There might be other issues that could lead to performance problems (as Deewin's post shows). But if you get a precise number it's usually because it can be backed up by evidence. There is such a thing as professional reputation.

BTW, that second paragraph in the previous post was not directly aimed at you -- more at folks like dumaz.

3. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    You basically just agreed with me so I'm not sure why you took a contrary tone.

As I said, 1ms roundtrip is impossible. I'm making no comment on playability as I have not tried it. Doesn't have to be close to 1ms latency to be playable.

As to the second paragraph, I have two words for you. Marketing Department.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't really care for this argument, but it seems impossible to me too. My own monitor can only relay the image from my PC/consoles within 4ms, so I don't see how an internet connection could be faster.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, the statement was made by OnLive's founder, who's on the faculty at MIT, at his TED lecture. But you're right, we're not really disagreeing -- but then again, you're not disagreeing with OnLive's claim either.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's impossible for most monitors to even fill the screen at 1ms, let alone through the internet.
    As long as the lag isn't noticeable, I don't really care. Although my internet speed is generally pretty lousy so I doubt this will work for me.

7. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I just looked it up. The 1ms claim is only specifically referring to the compression algorithm itself.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yep -- that sounds about right.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well that's still pretty neat.

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I sign-up yesterday, actually, and got in today, so at least within the next 3 days.

11. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for the good news. :)

12. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Ok, so I haven't really read up on this and I don't know a ton about computer hardware, but MidianGTX was saying that an old crappy computer could run a new game on the highest quality settings without taking a hit on performance, right?
    If that's the case, would a game streaming service like onlive work with iPhones and iPod Touches? That'd be pretty sweet!

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yes, that is a possibility. In fact, it was mentioned on TA back a while ago when this technology was first being introduced.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well the resolution would make it look worse anyway, and you'd need a keyboard/controller to use it... I suppose technically it's not impossible but with current tech it'd still be a pretty crappy experience. Trying it on 3G or EDGE connections would be a disaster.

Edit: unless you specifically mean games designed for the iPhone, in which case... yeah.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #55 squarezero, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    In theory, yes. You do have two impediments, though:

1) Controls: someone would have to design a set of controls that work on a touchscreen. As anyone who plays PC games knows, the controls can get pretty darn complicated (20 different keys is not unusual).

2) Connection: Both iPhones and iPads connect using the 'g' wifi protocol -- the older and slower one. Right now OnLive doesn't support any wifi connection, though it will do so in the near future. Still, the 'g' protocol could very well be too slow for the system.

OnLive has released proof-of-concept video of games running on both the iPhone and the iPad. Neither looked very promising control-wise.

I see no reason, however, why the system couldn't be used to run games specifically designed for the iPhone/iPad. Basically, you would be able to circumvent the App Store, since the games would not actually load on the device but run in outside servers; there would be no limitations in graphic quality or size of the game, and OnLive could even incorporate same 30 minute trial system they have for their PC games. The games would load instantly on your device and take no space either in RAM or the flash drive. I'd definitely pay for something like that.

EDIT: Hadn't seen Midian's post when I wrote mine. Great minds think alike ;).

16. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Haha yeah I meant games made for the iPhone specifically. Or like emulators for the iPhone, ran through a system like onlive. :)

So cool though! Just give it... 2 1/2 years. If the iOS systems keep rapidly evolving we'll have true console games on our iPhones. ;)
    Just look at how much iGaming has improved in the last year!

17. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Dang... I got rejected because I only use Wifi... bummer. I guess I need to go get a cable long enough to go downstairs.