Onlive: the future of gaming?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by arta, Mar 27, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47254.html

Basically instead of upgrading your PC or buying different consoles for your tv, you get the box, the games are on Onlive's servers and everything is streamed to you, even your 10 year monitor or TV. The claim is that everything occurs within 1 millisecond with virtually no lag.

Big claim. Even youtube's farms have pressure rendering "HD videos that are played offline. Right now though they have demos in San Francisco going on

Online.com

What do you think?

2. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
  3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Gonna need some internet connection if the computer you're on isn't playing the actual game.

4. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Onlive is a great idea in theory, but I don't think it will hold up in reality. Or at least for a few years. There are so many problems that they have yet to deal with. Think of all the bandwidth you'll need. AT&T have a bandwidth cap and soon will Time Warner. You'd better have a really great internet connection. Even the slightest hiccup would would destroy the experience. Plus EVERYONE will be sharing their servers.

5. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Seeing as how the "console" is coming close to release, I thought I'd start this thread up again. Considering how lots of companies are giving it funding, and several big name devs are signing up for the service, I think that it's actually gonna do pretty well. No downloads or load times sound so sweet, just gotta hope the servers never, ever crash.

6. iAmTheWalrus

iAmTheWalrus Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Martian
    Mars
    OnLive seemed pretty stupid the first day I heard about it.
    If it was possible, OnLive would be great. But what they're promising cannot be done.
    It's never gonna kill console or pc games.
    It won't run at lightning speed.
    And it's controller looks extremely cheesy with the L I V E buttons on it.

7. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Since the Founding Member's program has been released, has anybody gotten the chance to try out the service?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

I have. It pretty much rocks, though the selection is slim right now. Every game I've tried has run beautifully on my Macbook Pro, even while having a bunch of other apps open in the background. The 30 minute demo system is great, and you can even rent games over the weekend. My only problem is having to use a wired connection, which makes things a bit awkward -- apparently that issue will be resolved soon.

I won't speak to whether this will kill consoles or revolutionize gaming, but I'm certainly a happy customer.

9. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Got 1 year access free. :D

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    London, UK
    There was an article on BBC News yesterday, apparently Finland has made it a legal right for everyone to have access to at least a 2Mbit broadband connection. They're aiming to give everyone in the country 100Mbit by 2015.

Compare that to the UK, 25% of the population can't get broadband at all and I'm sitting here in our capital city stuck on a 0.6Mbit line. If OnLive is the future of gaming, it's a distant future for this country.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Amazing: I'm in a city of 40,000 people and have all the bandwidth I need. I thought Europe was ahead of the curve in broadband access...

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I've not read the article posted here but I've read several a few months back. The box itself is expensive, the £10/month plus game rental/purchase. Unlikely to catch on in my eyes, but good idea

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

For what it's worth I know a small handful of people in the beta right now and they all report the same thing: If your internet connection is solid, and you don't mind the somewhat sparse game collection available currently, Onlive is absolutely amazing.

I always figured it was vaporware, but I know far too many people who I trust who have told me how well it works, so I don't even know what to think anymore.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

That's basically my experience with the service as well. I think Mac users who don't own a console (and who have a decent broadband connection) will find it a particularly attractive option. I love to be able to rent the PC version Arkham Asylum for a weekend, and I love being able to play Borderlands without having take up several gigabytes of my laptop hard drive. Again, I won't speculate as to how the service will "revolutionize gaming," but for me it happens be a great option.

15. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm about to hurt a small animal. So I got accepted off the waiting list, and I started my registration. Once it gets to billing, it says "session expired, please log-in again", so I log in again, it asks me if I wanna finish my registration from where I left off, I click yes, and then it tells me again, "session expired, please log-in again" in an endless loop, just like Prometheus and his liver! Help. Before the vulture comes back.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Why don't you start the registration process again (instead of continuing from where you left off)? Also, I believe there's a help center available from their website. I personally had no problems signing on.

17. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    It won't let me. I ended up finishing it on the family iMac, but now it just signs me out as soon as I sign-in on my MBP. I'll just restart it and see if that helps.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Are you using an Ethernet connection on the MBP? It won't work with wifi.

19. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    It was kinda weird. I couldn't access my account at all on the web portal on MBP (before even downloading the client), but I could on an iMac. So I download the client off the iMac, put it on a USB drive (it was only around 11 mbs, for those wondering), then transferred it to my laptop and had no trouble playing from there. Plugged in the cable, tried Dirt 2, and, well... I'm impressed. Now I can stop spamming this thread with pointless posts for help.

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I still can't believe it works....