Onlive - no more monthly fees.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by arta, Oct 4, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://blog.onlive.com/2010/10/04/onlive-just-play-for-free/

2. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    How much iz it. This is EPIC NEWZ

3. kingcobra

kingcobra Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    This is bound to fail....

will definitely work in few years once bandwidth is alot higher, but right now i cant see this working properly..

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Subscription service is free. Here's an example of the rental and purchase fees:

[​IMG]

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Darksiders is not a terribly good game. FYI.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It works pretty good actually, assuming you have a half way decent internet connection... Which you really need anyway if you want to play online games on Xbox Live or PSN.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Does this mean I can play some decent games on my crappy laptop?

8. Depends on where you are getting your bandwidth. A lot of places around the world have double-digit speeds; I've got 25mbit at home, and 50mbit is available though I'm not willing to pay what they're asking for it, either is more than enough to stream a service like this. I know you can get similar speeds (or faster) across most of Europe, China and Japan, anyway.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Basically.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Pretty much everywhere except the UK. Bastards. Although apparently they aim to be among the fastest in Europe... which is a stretch coming from the people who provide some of the slowest speeds in Europe and don't like spending money on upgrades.

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Was reading up on this last night, can't wait for the mobile client!

EPIC!!! :eek:

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah, sign up, wait for the verification in your email, download the app and try it out.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just beat Mafia II on my MacBook Pro on OnLive. The game was disappointing, but the overall OnLive experience was great -- but then again, my Internet connection is decent.

Basically, if you have a Mac (and don't want install Windows on a partition) or a crappy PC, or if you want to rent or even try out PC games, it's a great service. Demo'ing on it is awesome, because you don't actually have to download anything: you just go from game to game essentially instantly.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Ok I gave it a go and so far I'm not at all impressed. The first time I downloaded it I got a virus warning and my antivirus deleted it. So I downloaded it again and then it wouldn't install, so I deleted it and downloaded again. Then it installed, but it wouldn't update. I tried again and then it updated but came up with an error message telling me that it's detected a high latency connection and it would result in poor performance.

My internet speed is about 7Mb, above the average UK speed of 3Mb.
    And I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7.

So far, it's been very disappointing. I hope this is just a temporary issue, although even if I do ever manage to connect, I'm still not convinced that I can get a game to run without any lag or FPS slowdown.

15. Yeah, the UK seems to be trailing for some reason -- I was surprised that we got speed bumps before you lot did. But then Germany and a few other places are working on ridiculous triple-digit speeds. I'll just be happy with what I've got. It's not like most sites can pump data to me that fast most of the time anyway...

16. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #16 Ddyracer123, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010