Universal Onirim - Solitaire Card Game (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Onirim - Solitaire Card Game (By Asmodee Digital)

As others have said the new scoring system is distracting and a step back in the development of the game. It interferes with the overall experience that is Onirim. This is a great game to just relax and play some cards. Think strategically without rulesets of points. There should at the very least be an option to turn that off or hide from the UI. For me it takes some of the magic from an otherwise awesome game.

2. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Had an ad, showing some of Asmodee’s other games, when starting up the game today. Had to click through it. Did I touch something? I know the game is free, now, but it was a premium game not long ago and it still has paid expansions. Was this always here? Not something I appreciate in any game that ask for your money. Especially bad when you pay for a game, only to find ads added later.

3. It's new and it's going to keep popping up at random times until they realize it was a bad idea.

4. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Really bad idea. :mad:

5. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Agreed. Really bad idea.

Do they read/interact with the forums here?

6. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    New update today with a new expansion! Only played for 5mins but this one seems a lot more complicated with a new set of cards that complete different actions. Maybe I just need more time with it but it makes it feels like there's too much going on

7. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Nice expansion. Wow adds little denizen cards with special effects

8. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    This happens a lot

This happens a lot with boardgames that are small and then get like 8-9 mini expansions. People are suddenly overwhelmed by the new "complexity" of a "small"game.
    This happenned with Fresco. It is a simple game, but with the big box (every Queen big box does this but Fresco goes the extra yard) you get like 8-9 expansions, and then if you put everything together all at once it gets overwhelming for sure.

My advice, don't put everything together all at once, start by the base plus this new one, then add the gates, then add the previous one.

9. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Are the ads gone?

10. Sadly, no.

And the achievements are making it even harder for me to ignore their scoring system. Even when I know I stand no chance at a high score, I can't ignore it. I wish there was a way to shut it.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm at least stoked at the rate they're adding these exps, this latest one looks like a blast. :D

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've just cracked open this game for the first time for the past 45mins or so. And quite frankly I'm finding it way to luck of the draw dependent. I mean, say you get say three of those nightmare thingy's at near the start of the game, well then, there goes a lot of your diversity pool in the cards, and depending on the luck of the draw, there goes your chance to even win the game! Isn't it possible that with enough nightmares and no keys in hand to deflect that you could discard a whole bunch of one colour or two right from the very start! And if say you set up the card placement area with two greens but just can't draw the third green, you'll have burnt through the deck! Sure, you need to cut your loss sometimes if you just can't draw the right green (say), but then sure enough, up pops the one you wanted, when you've already moved on (not to mention having drawn two nightmares in succession).

Maybe I'm reading too deep into this game (or not deep enough!?) maybe I'm meant to just take it as a 3 minute toilet break game win or lose. But really, I find it very draw and shuffle intensive. And frankly this introduction to the game doesn't really give me incentive to take another bite at the apple with the expansions, considering I have already summized the base game as I've written just now. Not seeing with the fuss is about here, so would be keen to hear if anyone's got a counter to my thoughts. Maybe there's some depth of gameplay I haven't realised in order to counter the luck of the draw I think I'm seeing.

I know card games are nearly always about the luck of the draw, but the way I see this, there just isn't much wiggle room to manage that luck factor.

Presentation wise though, full marks. A job well done there Asmodee. The gameplay itself though; 'card shuffle lite - the 3 minute version'.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I hear ya, but believe, like many card games, while chock-a-block full of randomness, over time you'll see your average win percentage increase as you learn how to better mitigate the chaos.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the perspective. I don't doubt you. But this time round I think I'll pass. Solitairica, a comparable game is about 14 times better in allowing you to develop mitigation strategy. I realise maybe this game isn't looking to be compared to anything else, it's simply just another addition to the genre, but I'm just giving my thoughts.
    The main mechanic of this game, being the nightmare card, I find is a very negative mechanic to focus on. It's full of only bad things, and you've got to grin and bare it constantly as it comes into play every few draws. Yes you counter this with the key cards, but the nightmare is none the less the feature of the game (hence the app icon! Dah). i find that quite limited and negative, though I'm sure over time you'd have a slightly better way of dealing with it as I currently do now, though I really can't see it being much more than a slightly better strategy as there's not much room.

15. Solitairica is an RPG with upgrades and unlockables. Onirim is the same game all the time and you just try to improve your strategy.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Is this addressed at me? I've played both, like I said. I know.

I guess what I'm saying just now is: what's your point?

17. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    They are two totally different games

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    This Vs Call of Duty would be two totally different games. I said similar, and they totally are. They'd go in the same genre for sure. Anyway, thanks matey, the convo here is done.