Universal Onirim - Solitaire Card Game (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Probably Apple's free app of the week.

2. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    What a pleasant surprise- I never cared for traditional solitaire.

3. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #83 Son of Anarchy, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Updated today with a new expansion.

Edit: Expansion is called Crossroads and Dead Ends.

4. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Do you know which one?

5. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Crossroads and Dead Ends

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Crossroads and Dead Ends is a really fun expansion, but I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if it makes the game easier, because I beat it pretty handily. But I know this is a game to be played over and over, so you can't really judge anything from one game.

Can't wait for more expansions to come out!

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    What's deal with the scoring thing? The old way of counting the cards remaining is just fine

8. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Agreed. I would appreciate an option to turn off scoring as I do with most solitaire style card games.

9. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    In the new expansion what are the cards with black borders? They don't seem to do anything that I can figure

10. That's the point. They're dead weight. But they actually make the game easier. Not a fan of this particular update/expansion.

11. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Agree. After playing the game more it's a lot of fun. 5 game win streak. Anyone saying it's more RNG then skill is dead wrong. Making the correct choices leads to win or a loss. The dead end cards make the game a little easier.

PRO TIP
    TRY TO SAVE KEYS IN YOUR HAND FOR NIGHTMARE CARDS!!!

12. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I like how you can mix and match expansions. Playing with both the new one and the glyphs is fun!
    I agree the new one on its own feels a bit easier. Haven't tried the Intersection Rules variant yet but that might make it that bit harder

13. The Intersection rules are currently bugged, so you'd have to restrict yourself if you want that challenge. It's a shame, because the new expansion just makes everything easier. And combining all the expansions is the only way you stand a chance on the leaderboards with the new scoring system.

14. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    #94 baconcow, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    I am not sure why they changed the scoring method post-game without updating the scoring method saved in the statistics page. I'm not even sure the exact way the new scoring works. Would have preferred staying with the old method or at least having some portion of the rules state how things are now being scored, so one can focus their strategy on getting a higher score.

Ran into a few issues:
    - Where you select expansions, there is a gear that can be selected to show descriptions of the two expansions. The expansion titles are reversed.
    - A few times, the one of the cards, along the top, will separate from he deck when scrolling. I have an image of the issue. I will upload it shortly.
    - When selecting the door option, during a Nightmare card, it can be difficult to select the red doors as it brings down the options bar. I am not sure if it one or all of the doors affected, but you have to select the lower part of the door. This must be because the option selection pane overlaps the door selection pane.

15. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I enjoyed the app so much I HAD to get the physical copy!!! The expansions really change the play experience, hope more make it to the app. Plus one on the intersection rules being bugged... So good though, the physical copy is a lot of fun!

16. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    How do they make the game easier? They just clog up my hand.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Great article! Thanks for really spelling out how the new exp simplifies stuff as well as the downsides of the new scoring system. I was excited to see they added this detailed scoring system but have to concede a lot of its current valuations of elements seems off.

18. Yeah, and I have trouble ignoring it. Even when I'm playing the original game alone and *know* there's no point in paying attention to the points, I still find myself considering it before making moves. It's distracting.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I wish they could have a separate leaderboard for each combo of core and exps, but understand, once we have all 7, that could get tricky to display. One possible way to handle this is to just default to the stats and highscore for the last combination played (core, first exp, second exp, or both exps).