Universal Onirim - Solitaire Card Game (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 6, 2017.

1. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Ace thanks very much

2. Mischief61

Mischief61 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    I enjoy this game, but it is ridiculously difficult, a comment frequently repeated in this thread. They really need to have difficulty choices because as fun as the game is, it really is borderline unplayable.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I think the difficulty is fine. I have played around 30 games and have a 40% win rate.

4. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    #44 brogmoid, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    There really are viable strategies.
    I think the most important are how you choose to play the key cards [1], and using frequent consulting of card counting. The latter is made easy by clicking on the discard pile.
    Using primarily these tools I've been able to elevate my win percentage from about 20% to 50%.

[1] i.e. playing as ordinary game cards, to escape a Nightmare, to rearrange the next few cards, or holding for gate cards.

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Keeping "key" cards for nightmare moments is a major thing to consider and makes the games difficulty a lot more palatable.

6. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #46 Misguided, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Are people not burning keys to get rid of nightmares? Are they discarding card after card to get the last of a set when they have three of another color in their hand? Do they not realize a key can be used just like sun/moon if necessary? Really wish I could figure out why people think this is so difficult, because I'm not finding that to be the case. Not even remotely.

If you are struggling to get wins, is there a particular situation that seems like you are losing a bunch of card to?

7. Why would you want a game like this to be easy to win almost all the time? I'd have lost interest after a few wins. Instead, every loss makes me go back in to try and gain back that fraction of a percentage point. I've played over 150 games and my percentage hovers around 47-50%.

The only times I get really angry at the game is when I'm waiting for the last card to open the last door and it seems like a sure win, but then a nightmare comes near the end and even if I toss out my hand and the key's still in the deck, there aren't enough cards to fill my hand and I lose.

Also kind of sucks when you're dealt a key and then the door but the door has to go back into the deck.

But changing those things might make the game too easy.

8. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    I agree with everything you said.
    There are definitely times when I get angry at this game after losing.
    But then I play again :cool:

9. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    It needs a higher difficulty. Played 24 games all 100% with 25 cards left as best game.

10. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Not damn your good, give me the secrets

11. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Did anyone get some sort of feedback from the developers about if we will get the expansions on iOS?

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    They tweeted on the day this came out that there are "no plans" to add the expansions to the app.

But for a buck, this is a great app even without the expansions.

13. legendofchin97

legendofchin97 Active Member

Sep 11, 2013
    How? That's crazy

14. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I tweeted them stating "if you release the expansions on iOS, people will buy them!"
    And they said "we have heard that feedback, thank you" and that was it.
    So in other words, I don't think they will. I don't understand why they didn't just release the whole package if they went through all the trouble of coding for iOS anyway

15. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Yeah good point. They're not seeing the potential that is definitely there.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    They've just released the Glyphs as a free expansion!

As far as I can tell this expansion adds new symbols and a new mechanic, "Invocation".

While this new mechanic and additional symbols sound like it could make things easier, you'll now need to collect 12 doors to win the game!

As I assume this is a real expansion from the non-digital form of the game, does including the expansion make the solo game easier, harder, or just a little different?

Just glad we got more content for this game whatever the case. :)

17. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    I've played the expansion twice and won both times. But I'd say it just makes the game different, I don't think it is any easier.

I'm happy they are working on expansions! Another reason for people sitting on the fence about spending $1 on this game to buy.

Will to pay for expansions.

18. Damn... I lost my first two games and finally won the third. Really happy to have an alternate way to play, as I've already played over 800 games of the original. It's definitely one of my GOTY. Just wish they kept the stats separate for the expansion. :(

19. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Simply a wonderful game, both physical and digital. I was very happy to see an expansion, and hopefully it's just the first. In case the devs are watching, thanks for the freebie but I'm more than willing to pay for additional expansions. Onirim is one of the best solo games I've come across (physical cards) and this just extends the pleasure, not to mention it makes the game even MORE portable. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

20. MulDeR

MulDeR Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    I¡m looking for a new card game. Would you recomend me this one or Jaipur?