Universal Onion Force (By Queen Bee Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Kathleenqbg

Kathleenqbg Active Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Co-founder/Producer at Queen Bee Games
    Canada
    We wanted to stagger our Free days. It will be free on Google Play within the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned! :)

2. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Thanks to the devs for making it free for a while, happy to be able to test it out risk-free.

Unfortunately, wow, those controls... Hate to echo so many others, but it really is a deal breaker. And dying so easily in a tutorial?? Usually when a developer wants to make the game 'challenging' and 'hectic' they find ways *other* than making it tricky to learn how to control your character. And the point seems to be to get your player killed, since you have to run into the enemies which deals damage to you?

I'm a fan of mixed genres, but not finding pinball + tower defense quite working out for me.
    Graphics are nice, though! :)

3. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    What's the device requirements? This looks good enough to delete some things for as I love TD Action hybrids

4. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Hey Wrath, appreciate your feedback! We are still open to making certain tweaks as per this type of feedback. We are new at this, and are now seeing the value in soft launches. Live and learn. Putting it out for free will definitely bring us in a lot more feedback, which will help us make it even better with future updates! We made it difficult on purpose, but maybe it's just too much for the average person. As far as the controls, it doesn't take long to get used to, and they are just 'different' really not hard to get to know but people are not giving them a chance. Players have a hard time adjusting to a different style of gameplay. We (dev) and a lot of other people find the mechanics really fun and silly which reflects the nature of us as a team, and our games. This is not your typical TD game- we wanted to create a new experience. The game will not resonate with all. But we do really enjoy hearing what we could do to make it a better game, even it hurts sometimes! :p Thanks again...:)

5. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    It plays best on most newer devices, but should be fine on some of the older gens. What device do you currently have?

6. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I just started playing it last night, and I've been really enjoying it! The first level or two have a REALLY steep learning curve. (It's easy to fail the tutorial, no questions asked.)

In fact, I found the first two levels much tougher than the later levels: you only have access to one or two towers at most. Once you get your heroes leveled, some better equipment, and some levels on your towers, then the difficulty spike levels out, and it actually starts to become much more manageable. (and much more fun, too!) You have to backtrack in order to hit the harder difficulties of the beginning levels, but I've now 5-starred the first ten levels, and I'm on my way forward...!

However, I have a question: sometimes I pick up an item for my hero that has a blue title, usually including a modifier of some kind. "Silver Broad Sword of Aegis" or "Iron Bow of Luck." These items seem rarer than others, but I can't tell what they're adding to my characters, so I usually go simply with the one with the highest attack. Anyone figured out this mechanic yet?

7. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    We kind of left the Blue Special weapons for people to figure out on their own. I will let you know the ones you have mentioned. "Aegis"- 20% bonus to defense & "Luck"- Increases chances of drops.

Thanks for playing!! :D

8. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a 4s right now and totally missed the sale sadly but am wondering if it does run on it maybe I'll get a card or something soon. Anyone know? I may be getting a new phone for free soon too and could wait for a sale idk I wanna play this game and I am Sad I can't lol

9. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Heads up that our game 'Onion Force' is on sale until July 5th for .99! Hope some of you will check it out! Cheers! :D

10. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Heads up to any of you Droid gamers that asked when it would be free on Google Play: Onion Force is free until Monday here! Thanks! :)

11. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #71 yankeeblue000, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    This game is pretty fun. The visuals are beautiful, Imo. I finally got used to the controls and the shooting mechanics. I get the whole pinball mechanic gameplay for movement and attacking but, it can be a little tricky when playing and you bounce off of enemy's after attacking and get bounced out of range to try to maneuver back to finish them off before they get to you're king. Its tricky, but I guess wth enough practice I'll figure something out. I guess I can see people having a hard time. The game's difficulty could be balanced out a little more because you're dealing with trying to get used to the quirky controls, but I personally think it's not too bad. I think they did a good job coming up with something a little different in the T.D. genre