Universal Onion Force (By Queen Bee Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    maybe it's just me? iPhone 6+

2. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    I love the design of the mascot so much

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #23 orangecan, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Ok so I'm decidedly on the fence with this one.

The graphics on the air 2 are definitely slightly blurry but I can live with that, what I'm really struggling with are the controls. My character just does not seem to want to go where I want them to go. They never seem to stay still and I keep finding myself running into scenery when I should be running into enemies.

I'm going to persevere with it for a bit but at the moment unless it turns out I'm doing something wrong then I can't see myself getting past the odd controls

Also I can't work out how to switch characters on the fly, seems like I can only do it when one dies....

4. Kathleenqbg

Kathleenqbg Active Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Co-founder/Producer at Queen Bee Games
    Canada
    Hey there- thanks for the feedback (dev here) The controls take a little bit getting used to for some people, but we purposely put this mechanic in there to add to the intensity of the game- adding a more pinball/arcade type element (the constant movement of character). Personally I like to drag my character around, because I feel like I have more control but a lot of people prefer the tap. Play around with it, switch up your controls to see what you prefer, and you will eventually get the hang of it. And yes, you can only choose another character when you die, at this point. Thanks! And feel free to ask anymore questions. :)

5. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the response I am getting the hang of it and enjoying it more as I play. Will give the drag controls a go and see where it gets me..

I would like to know how the number of stars you get is calculated though, I was slightly annoyed when I battled through one of the earlier levels on hard and didn't get anything for it (I did only scrape through mind)

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell after around one hour with the Game overall there are a couple of points I would like to mention that I have noticed that should be treated by the Team at Queen Bee Games.

The overall presentation of the Game is solid and I like the Mix between Action and the usual Tower Defense very much where you have to choose carefully what your next Tower will be or otherwise you might get slaughtered very fast and very soon in the Game.

This also leads to my first point of criticism if it comes to Union Force:

At the current point the Game often seem to be very unbalanced which even lead more then once to even get killed during the first Tutorial Mission on Easy.

This is the first time since I played my first Action/Tower Defense Game since usually the Tutorial Missions should be like a walk in a park during the summer while it`s raining. You will get wet but at the same time it`s warm enough so it doesn`t matter since you will get through it with a smile and get dry in no time.

[​IMG]

Sadly this isn`t the case in Onion Force :( I`m definitly not someone that is afraid of a Challenge but at the current moment every single Class of those three in the Game is way to weak at the beginning of the Game.

The Stats of the three Heroes should definitly get an increase if it comes to their Attack & Health Values InGame.

At one point it even got that far that during the Tutorial my Warrior was killed and a second time he had almost passed out. Something like that shouldn`t be possible during any Tutorial Missions since the Game should teach me the (Basic) Core Gameplay and not just throw me into the Game and then just tell me afterwards "Sorry the Game is currently unbalanced but you can for sure retry the Mission again if you would like". This really need to get fixed with one of the upcoming Updates asap.

Next point on my agenda is the current Texture Quality:

[​IMG]

During the normal Overview the Game does look fine and I have nothing bad to say about it but as soon as you zoom in a tiny bit or even closer the hole Game becomes kinda blurred out.

[​IMG]

Sorry that Screenshot kinda doesn`t show how much it get blurred but during the hole movement the Game definitly loose a lot of it`s charm and I sincerly hope that the Team back at Queen Bee Games will offer us at least through an InGame Option a Extra High Qualiy Texture Pack since the current Textures are 100% not HQ and it does look very washed out on my iPhone 6s+/iPad Pro as soon as I "Zoom In".

Besides those two points I really like the Game so far and didn`t regret getting it since as I have already mentioned I really enjoy playing the Action/Tower Defense Mix but those two points that I had mentioned above definitly should be worked out first before I even would consider playing the Game a second hour or even more then that.

I hope that I don`t sound to negative but it really does bother me that those two things are that much clear to me after the first hour of playing the Game that I just had to mentioned those. Sorry :(

7. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    #27 Kathleenqbg, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    As far as I can tell after around one hour with the Game overall there are a couple of points I would like to mention that I have noticed that should be treated by the Team at Queen Bee Games.

The overall presentation of the Game is solid and I like the Mix between Action and the usual Tower Defense very much where you have to choose carefully what your next Tower will be or otherwise you might get slaughtered very fast and very soon in the Game.

This also leads to my first point of criticism if it comes to Union Force:

At the current point the Game often seem to be very unbalanced which even lead more then once to even get killed during the first Tutorial Mission on Easy.

This is the first time since I played my first Action/Tower Defense Game since usually the Tutorial Missions should be like a walk in a park during the summer while it`s raining. You will get wet but at the same time it`s warm enough so it doesn`t matter since you will get through it with a smile and get dry in no time.

Sadly this isn`t the case in Onion Force :( I`m definitly not someone that is afraid of a Challenge but at the current moment every single Class of those three in the Game is way to weak at the beginning of the Game.

The Stats of the three Heroes should definitly get an increase if it comes to their Attack & Health Values InGame.

At one point it even got that far that during the Tutorial my Warrior was killed and a second time he had almost passed out. Something like that shouldn`t be possible during any Tutorial Missions since the Game should teach me the (Basic) Core Gameplay and not just throw me into the Game and then just tell me afterwards "Sorry the Game is currently unbalanced but you can for sure retry the Mission again if you would like". This really need to get fixed with one of the upcoming Updates asap.

Next point on my agenda is the current Texture Quality:

During the normal Overview the Game does look fine and I have nothing bad to say about it but as soon as you zoom in a tiny bit or even closer the hole Game becomes kinda blurred out.

Sorry that Screenshot kinda doesn`t show how much it get blurred but during the hole movement the Game definitly loose a lot of it`s charm and I sincerly hope that the Team back at Queen Bee Games will offer us at least through an InGame Option a Extra High Qualiy Texture Pack since the current Textures are 100% not HQ and it does look very washed out on my iPhone 6s+/iPad Pro as soon as I "Zoom In".

Besides those two points I really like the Game so far and didn`t regret getting it since as I have already mentioned I really enjoy playing the Action/Tower Defense Mix but those two points that I had mentioned above definitly should be worked out first before I even would consider playing the Game a second hour or even more then that.

I hope that I don`t sound to negative but it really does bother me that those two things are that much clear to me after the first hour of playing the Game that I just had to mentioned those. Sorry :(

Hey- no problem at all! We definitely appreciate this feedback! The developer wanted to make a hardcore game, maybe too much so that he went a little overboard on the tutorial. ;) This is something we can definitely easily adjust in future builds, especially if we receive more feedback on this! We will certainly look into texture packs too, this is our very first game (in fact the dev learned to code through the production) - so there was a lot to learn, and still we are learning from this type of quality feedback! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts! :D

8. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    You lose stars after enemies break through I believe 3-5 rocks to get to your king. (don't quote me on that, will get the info from the sleeping dev in a little bit)

9. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Thank-you! We love her too! :D

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Thanks for the superfast response. Looking forward to see how much the Game might change over the upcoming months so I will definitly keep it on my iDevice over the next upcoming months & Updates :D

11. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    We super appreciate that! We hope that lots of people will enjoy all the handwork we put into this game- and appreciate it's silly chaos. BTW just gotta say that You guys have an Awesome community here. Have been lurking in other threads, and now have a new list of must-downloads. I want to beat our game first though, still haven't.. (its freaking tough) :eek:

12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hmm..I'm on the fence on this one. It looks really cool and the mix of a more action based game with tower defense sounds great. I'm guessing your "hero" is a much bigger part of the game than like the heroes in Kingdom Rush and other TDs.

I've always been a fan of the TD genre even though I'm not that great at them so hearing people are struggling even with the tutorial is raising a red flag for me.

Probably have to stay tuned on this one.

13. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Hey there- It's not as bad/hard as it sounds. It's one of those games that's really easy to learn. Our 3 year old picks it up and can figure it out. And I am not a hardcore gamer but do fine up until maybe the 3rd stage (10th level or so) that I start to really struggle with difficulty, but even then- it's not impossible. After the tutorial/1st level is when it gets fun- upgrading your towers, collecting weapons, levelling your character up and purchasing power-ups. All these really aid in you combatting the enemies. And yes, you are right- the 'hero' is really in the thick of things, much like an action adventure game- or even some compare to hack 'n' slash. Also, if your character dies in battle, you are given the choice to call in another to continue on...which is very useful. :)

14. debaser626

debaser626 Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I love TD games and good siege defense games like Army of Darkness. I have to echo the points about strange difficulty on the tutorial mission, and on Easy mode overall. I was able to get through with the warrior just fine, but using the wizard or the bowman was a slaughter. The placed tower seems to be completely ineffective, and both characters met their untimely demise in short order. I think Easy mode should be made much easier, as the movement and aiming does include a learning curve, it garners frustration with those two operations (and the game overall) when death comes so fast on an Easy mode. I enjoy a good challenge, but it is necessary to understand how the mechanics play out first. I usually play a game on Easy to get a feel for it and then go back and start it on normal, and replay the boards on Hard if there is still room for leveling up. I'm glad that the dev is responding with some of their input on the controls, as I will give it another go, and now that I know there's a learning curve, I know not to expect immediate success, even on Easy and early missions.

15. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    I love td games but I hate the way the guys move its not the way you controll the character it's the fact that he takes off like a bat out of hell and half the time I don't end up where I want to be,also the enemies are coming fast and furious even if I have earned some gold I can't get back to where I want to put a tower because enemies are already past that spot.maybe if you could place towers with a finger tap while scrolling the map instead of bringing your character there.
    The good part is you can replay the levels over to build up your characters levels to make progression easy if your stuck

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game looks so good. Does it work with the gamecenter bug?
    Do u have to be signed into the gamecenter to start it up?

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Works for me and I most certainly have the GC bug. Cheers

18. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Hey scifistephen- thanks for the feedback! That's a good point I'll bring to the dev, regarding placing the towers with a fingertap. I know he wanted to keep you busy, and keep with the frantic feel to the game; so not sure that would take away from his vision for the game and change it too much, we'll see. I personally think it's a Great suggestion though. and had to laugh at your 'bat out of hell' comment, this is a mechanic that we know will be either loved or hated...it's honestly just a matter of getting used to. We wanted there to be a pinball/arcadey feel to the game and got a kick out of this feature, and feel adds to that little bit of oddballness we were going for. :D

19. Kathleenqbg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks so much for this feedback! TBH I understand where you stand in regards to the tutorial's difficulty. I tend to think the dev is a very cruel man at heart (my husband lol) It almost seems like it's some cruel joke to make a tutorial so hard. Maybe it sets the wrong tone, who knows. I find once you get into the thick of things, develop your own strategy, master the controls, leveling up, equipping your weapons, power-ups ARE SO USEFUL (which is why onions are so important in the game) etc, etc- it's not as intimidatingly hard.
    I am passing this along to the developer. Thanks again, very useful feedback- as we certainly don't want to scare people away with the tutorial. :p

20. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i'm in love with this gem. so fun, so odd, so so!