one week, only 85 download,please help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fwish, Aug 11, 2009.

1. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

actully,this is not as good as you thought,only get the position in top game 100,then you can get high

italia=36, you know how much did I sale a day there? only 2

2. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    sure, it`s your thread, but i thought, that your downlaods are much better now, so the problem is solve.^^

hm, i like our icon and regarding the screenshots: there is no more in our game. just a LCD screen and this screen won`t change (ok, there are the splashscreen and the aboutscreen, looking like an old package).
    does anybody think, that the icon of lambrettinis is crap and we should change it? (come on, say no, i haven`t any time in the moment).

3. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

wow, just look at your game, the same one I want to make in the future!
    I guess I lost the chance:D

the screenshot is fine to me,but not icon,I think you should just use the little man in the game instead, that driectly told people what game your's is

just my advise

4. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    forget it, expect you like to have less then 85 downloads a week. ;)

hm, you could be right. maybe we should change it for a test.
    too sad, that nobody will see it in any list in the itunesstore anymore.^^

ehm, i can change the icon without waiting for the ok from apple?

5. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

you can change 512 icon anytime you like,and it will take 4 or more hours tobe seen,but for 57 icon,must wait the update

did you try lite version? maybe can be play only one min?

each time you update, the game will be in list.

use it wisely

6. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    leaping game looks good just a little shallow i think it would do better packaged with about 4 different LCD games then sell it for maybe $2 instead of $1. I guess what I'm saying is that it looks worth about 50c since I can probably go buy a real one for about that much!

7. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    well, this one game was enough work and we didn`t just want to take any old LCD game and clone it, so we have to think about the gameplay.
    but i understand, what you mean.
    for sure, this game needs a B variant of gameplay (we will do this in the next upgrade).
    and for sure, it would be nice, if there would be other lambrettini games.
    we think about that, but it should fit into the circus theme.
    as i told, the game isn`t dead (the progger just finished the country identification for the highscorelist.
    we have a high list of things, which would be nice.
    and a list for "would be great".
    and one for "would be amazing".

so, if you have any further suggestions, feel free to post it.
    maybe we should use this thread for it:
    Great leaping Lambrettinis

i thought about this too.
    may the price will rise in the future.
    to say thank you to our early custumors.^^

you can? i didn`t saw a lcd game for a long time.
    but the main reason for lambrettinis is, that it is a game&phone game.
    you can play with it and phone.
    great, isn`t it.

btw. i have a two screen donkey kong here, so a two screen version would be nice too.
    but we are just in the year 1980, so this have to wait.

edit: thanks for the tip with the icon, fwish.

8. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #88 mobile1up, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    game and watch

... seems there are a bunch of these games out now

Nintendo is focusing on anyone who does clone their original games; while you can define your own graphics (like we did) - your still limited to left/right game movements.. if only Nintendo would actually allow someone to officially license these titles.. we released 6 of the "wide screen" editions; but Nintendo forced us to remove them (and, Apple didn't help much either)

I personally have a copy of the dual screen Donkey Kong on my iphone (i did it for myself) :p hehe - Nintendo at least cannot make me remove that one from my own personal device; i just can never make it available for anyone else :( i own almost all of the game and watch games, i was using them while developing the GW titles.

9. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    no, not really.
    as i know, there are only three: eggs from russia, bank panic and a third one.
    and only eggs is a remark of an old LCD game, the other ones (include ours) are just looking like old LCD games, but have completly new graphics and gameplays.

sure, that`s there right.
    and for me, it`s ok. these games are the property of nintendo
    so, taking the name, the gameplay AND the graphics are little too much.
    as i know, you couldn`t copyright the gameplay, (this is really strange. you can make a boardgame with the same mechanism like settler of catan without problems, the only thing you can protect is the game manual…)
    so it would be able for you, to make these game with your own graphics (you did it, but we didn`t you use LCD like figures?).

btw. we just have one thing in our game, which maybe can bring trouble: on the backside of the "package", there is a small logo: game&phone
    but if you take a look at the 80ies, what names had the LCD games from other companies? play&clock, game&time etc.
    so i don`t worry about it.

as i could say, you did really good work. too sad, that nintendo didn`t cooparate with you and bring these games under their label into the store (ok, nintendo haven`t any interest to push the iphone as a gameconsole ^^)

oh my good. i really like to see it.
    my donkey kong didn`t work anymore, because the batteries are empty.
    maybe with some modifications of the graphics (and gameplay it can found the way as a lambrettini game into the store? ;)

wow, you must spend a lot of money for that. a friendof mine was a collector of these games and told me, how much some of these games costs. hell.
    especially the early games.
    as i told, i only owns donkey kong, but i had octopus in my childhood (yes, i am reeeeeally old.).

so, in your case, i thought about to make these games back looking like LCD games and maybe change the gameplay a little. and of course the name.
    but it would be better if you make a completly new game out of these games.

how about making from these game one? you jump out of the screen and landed in the boat, where you have to take some gold from the deep and if you have enough, you are taking the plane and throw your money out of it and a guy have to catch it etc.

but maybe these LCD game market isn`t the best to make some money. ^^

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I LOVE the old LCD games. I remember getting the Donkey Kong 2-screen when I was like 6 or 7 for my birthday, and playing it at night under the covers of my bed with a flashlight ("This is sooo cool - I can play it anywhere!!") And then my parents would yell at me "turn it off and go to sleep!"

Nintendo did a really excellent job of porting a ton of those to the Gameboy several years ago, the resolution is a bit low but the graphics and gameplay are very faithful. If they ever put out an uber-complete set I would be all over that in a heartbeat! Maybe they will release a line for DSiWare or something..

Not surprised one bit that they'd be pissed when they see someone straight-ripping their work in an iPhone app, but if you make a truly original "homage" then of course they likely wouldn't care.

Anyway personally I feel there is a market for such things, this is just one of the apps which really needs some marketing to reach it's audience. I agree with the guy above who noted that maybe you need to release a couple of them before they take off - maybe in the future, simplify the name as well (who's going to remember how to spell "lambrettini," especially if they hear it in conversation?) A bunch of those old Nintendo ones were "ball," "egg," etc. Okay that's a bit extreme.

11. nickcaveman

Jul 8, 2009
    bremen/germany
    so we should rename it in the name of marketing?
    something like circus, artists or jump?
    nah.

i think, we will make true marketing for the next game. this one is for having fun.

something like this: i just read this thread and thought "hey, it would be a funny idea, if i make little drawings of the people, how like this game and help us so much with their ideas and reviews etc. and put them into the crowd.
    off course i need photos for that (and time… damn, i need much more time).
    this could be funny. you can show your friends the game and say "try to find me in the audience".

hm, maybe i just need some break and social contact.
    but in the moment, i think, it`s a nice idea.

hm, sounds like some kind of marketing… eeeevil.

12. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    GW Lab
    GW Monkey
    GW Escape
    GW Retreat
    GW Monster
    GW Jetpack

there are six of these now :) all with new graphics (our games) - another company, i4napps.com did a bunch of russian clones (5-6 catchers); nintendo made them remove some..

i've picked them up on ebay over the last 10 years - i have all the dual screen games; they are my favourite.. i wouldn't sell them for anything - and, they all work :)

its not worth it :)

the original games were a HUGE hit; the new graphics are nice - new game play; but, it doesn't appeal like the original games.. i even released a bundle; six games for $2.99. thats 49c each :) we are not going to do any new game and watch games - we were one of the first to do it; and we did it right :) Nintendo just didn't agree - oh well *g* - we have new game concepts to work on.

13. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

today,not in the first page of what we are playing,in secend page now,
    units down from 100 to 18 :confused:

this is such a hard market to enter

14. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Very normal. After that first week you slide to page two, then to the third page on week three, and after the fourth week you're out of the feature window.

Funny thing is most people who browse the app store in iTunes probably don't even realize there are pages 2 through 4 on the featured items, so your sales drop. Dramatically. Unless you had forward momentum and had made into roughly the top 50 of the overall charts (not the subcategories inside games) you'll sink back into obscurity. :(

15. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    the take-away from all of this is don't count on Apple to push your game for you. Any boost you can get from them is nice, but it should just be considered a bonus, like winning a lotto really. As someone said, each App you put out there is like another ticket you've bought.

If you really intend to move units, you need to find a different way to put the word out-

16. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

I know,just feel kind of blue about this

I really tried eveything I know

maybe just wait the 1.2 update?

17. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    maybe you could find a publisher?

or maybe this game has just run out of steam. It was a good game so I'm sure your next one will be even better.

18. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks,but how to find a find a publisher? I have no clue

and the game has come out,change publisher? I don't think apple will allow it.

19. lamdogkc

lamdogkc Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Not everybody can hit a jackport with one application, there are more than 70 thousand application in itune + few more thousand in the black market, it actually very difficult to score a point in this huge pool.
    I believe everybody have a different preference, you can not suite or please everybody.
    I don't find your game that awful, really.
    But i think one mistake you made is, there are no element of surprises, most ppl like surprises. Your game may have 110 level but you don't need to show everything yet.
    Keep some easter egg for the gamers, I would like that too.

20. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks for your advise,now I am thinking add another element,sub or shark,not decideed yet, which will eat those treasures, you must get more before it eat them up,will this be fun?