Universal One Tap Hero™ - (by Chillingo Ltd)[Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Wen

Wen Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Co-Founder
    Shanghai, Stuttgart
    Sorry about the crashing issue! We've already submitted the update to Chillingo and they submitted to Apple, too. Now what we can do is praying for early approval...:rolleyes:

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Level 2:5 was certainly fun!

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    One Tap Hero is the story of a little ghost looking creature who’s, in a way, chasing after his abducted girlfriend. While out in a field one day, a wizard appeared, turned his girlfriend into a zombie like teddy bear, and now, as you collect stars from each of the levels, you’re slowly turning your sweetheart back into the normal cutesy little creature she use to be.
    As the name suggests, One Tap Hero is controlled by tapping an action button. That’s right, everything in the game is controlled this way; jumping, climbing ladders, switching levers, stopping at certain spots and more. Your character constantly moves throughout the level, bouncing off of walls, while you try and collect all 3 stars in a level, and make it to your girlfriend. The amount of different things your character could do with just one tap actually kind of threw me off guard, but with some great level designs, and well thought out gameplay, it never got too cluttered up, wanting your character to do one thing, but having him doing another was something that just does not happen throughout the game.

One Tap Hero’s Story Mode contains 4 separate environments, each offering up new mechanics and atmospheres, and having 20 stages, along with 5 bonus levels which can be unlocked by collecting hard to snag keys throughout some of the stages. Each level has a possible 3 star ranking, along with coins which you can try and collect, which adds to your total score, as well as another challenge to try and master. You can also spend your coins in the game’s shop, which lets you purchase different outfits, keys to unlock bonus levels, and bombs which you can use to take out the ninja enemies later on in the game. Also, these days, almost every time you see a shop in a game, you can bet there’s going to be IAPs, and there are; 1,500 coins for $0.99, 5,000 for $1.99, 15,000 for $2.99, 30,000 for $3.99 and each bomb costs $0.99, but you don’t NEED to purchase anything extra to enjoy and complete the game.
    The graphics and animations do a great job of helping to draw you into the world of One Tap Hero. Levels are placed on top of various backdrops, and I will admit, as much as I love retro graphics, it’s nice when a platformer strays away from this. The animations are nice and smooth, and do a great job of keeping players immersed in the game. Completing this is a wonderful relaxing soundtrack, matching the gameplay and environments perfectly, and complimenting the atmosphere quite a bit.

Coconut Island has also done a fantastic job with the level designs. Even though the games difficulty isn’t really up there on the charts, that doesn’t mean that the levels are simplistic by any means. With perfectly placed pits, platforms, stars, coins and hazards, alongside levers that move entire sections of stages, spikes, rotating worlds and more, it’s very clear that a crazy amount of time has gone into the level designs, especially later on in the game.

GameCenter integration adds the final touches, with 4 leaderboards, one for the total score of each world and 43 achievements, there’s enough content and replay value to keep gamers busy for a while. Priced at $0.99 and being Universal, One Tap Hero is another great Chillingo publication. Coconut Island has done a great job with just about every single aspect of the game, and compared to their previous titles, it‘s clear that they‘ve learned quite a bit in their so-far short developing life-cycle. Though, it would be nice if there was more of a challenge, and the constant back and forth with the difficulty levels as you progress through the game would have been much better as a constant upward climb in difficulty. Power-ups would have also been a great inclusion, especially later on when the enemies make an appearance. But even so, One Tap Hero is another great addition to the Single Tap Platformer genre, and one that casual as well as hardcore gamers can enjoy. Now let’s just hope that this Chillingo game will be updated and that ’Coming Soon’ world actually does come soon.

4.5/5 stars

4. Wen

Wen Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Co-Founder
    Shanghai, Stuttgart
    Thanks for the lovely review :D

5. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=145530][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149285][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149287][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149284][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149282][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=149270][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149058][​IMG][/thread] [thread=141327][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149435][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149290][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]ONE TAP HERO[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    22/08/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to to save your sweetheart by collecting stars and use their power to change her back?

[size=+3][thread=149482]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    08-30-2012 at 12:16 PM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Vote for this one, as One Tap Hero has become on of my favourite platformers

7. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Ouff...I'm in doubt if purchasing this or not!! :confused: have bought too many games in the last days!

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Buy it, its brilliant

9. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Ok finally had some free time to play a bit, these are my early initial impressions, I've just played the first 15 levels and 3 starred them all and collected the key.

So far the game seems to offer quite a bit of fun, the level design seems very solid, the animations are nice and it is all very splendid. As others have mentioned before in this thread, for some odd reason it looks a lot better on the iPad itself than in gameplay videos (thanks Sanuku, you're tops!) so the presentation shouldn't concern anyone, it's quite charming.

My only criticism so far is that I wish I could hold the jump and have it done when another action is completed, I'll give an example: say you hold onto a ledge, then tap to climb the ledge, however if you want to jump immediately after the climbing animation is finished, you need to press precisely when the animation is completed and you can't simply hold the jump action beforehand. So if you press jump a second too soon while the climbing is performed, the jump is ignored. This can be quite frustrating, in my opinion it would have been better if you could just hold the jump while the climbing animation is performed and have it done the moment you finish climbing the ledge. I really noticed it in the early zig zag level. I do hope I explained my point clearly. (got a bit cumbersome, forgive me as 'tis almost 2am here, wife is sleeping, hence the free play time!) I'd be happy if the devs could comment on this.

Anyway, aside from this, I like what I saw so far and will definitely keep on playing. From reading the posts here, it seems a lot of additional mechanics are introduced along the journey which sounds like fun!

10. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Help with the key on 2:14. :confused:

11. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Pull first switch to start level; Run to the right and jump onto the first ledge and hang for 1-2 seconds; climb up ledge before the boulder falls onto you; after bouncing off wall, head left and jump off boulder to the next level; Run past the second switch and do NOT pull it; Push the second boulder to the left into the spike pit; jump over boulder into the pit just below your love interest and reverse direction to the right; jump over boulder covering spike pit and pull the second switch; the first boulder will warp to cover the pit just below your love interest; after pulling second switch, reverse direction to the left and jump over the first boulder onto the second boulder and do a high jump into the portal above your love interest.

You should be able to handle the rest from there. Hope this helps!

12. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Pretty simple with the right direction. Thanks for the help. I think I was doing the thing you told me not to do. Now on to world three!

13. Wen

Wen Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Co-Founder
    Shanghai, Stuttgart
  14. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Sweeeeeeeeeet! thanks again for a great experience

15. Wen

Wen Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Co-Founder
    Shanghai, Stuttgart
    you're welcome:D

16. kevin paquet

kevin paquet Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    #96 kevin paquet, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    Still thinking twice about getting this one. It just looks too simple for me. :confused:

Nevermind: I just bought it.

17. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    :( I installed the update that I'd been looking forward to with the hope that the app's performance would improve on my iPod 4, but it's not looking so.

The majority of Black Forest levels run slower, a few I would describe as slo-mo. The drop in frame rate is often accompanied by a flickering vertical thin white line on the left side of the level background. Tapping 'Next" after completing 4-20 results in a crash every time. I'm glad I'm not riding on the EX4-2 "Roller Coaster," because it crashes! =p

I was absolutely loving this game until World 4 came along, as evident by the time I put into getting my high scores, so it sucks I've hit a bit of a wall so close to finishing.

Anyone else think Farjo73's scores are aimed a little too high, and think it's strange he's nowhere to be seen on the World 1 leaderboards? :rolleyes:

18. bockers

bockers Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Maybe should have tested it better. Most crashes in a game I have ever played.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Have you tried with the latest (only) update?

20. bockers

bockers Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Yup no difference