Universal One More Line (by SMG Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

This has been bugging me too. Gotta have those leaderboards!

@SMG - any word on what's causing this or if it is being worked on?

Other than the GC issues this is a very fun game! I like how it zooms out and shows the path of your line. Sweet music too.

2. rockhount

rockhount Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Sometimes, yes, sometimes it needs a bit longer...but as you progress you get used to it. Not a big deal anyway :)

Still a cool Game, can't beat my 46 atm :(

3. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hey guys, sorry about the GC issues! We've got an update that's awaiting approval, unfortunately didn't make it in time for launch date but hoping it'll land soon.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Great, thank you!

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Nice work devs and composer. This is a pretty sweet time-killer.

I came here to ask about GC issues, so good to see a fix is already coming.

"One more line!"

6. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    GC should be fixed by now. We submitted the update. Same with the Google Play version.

Much more to add/tweak in future versions. Consider this "classic arcade" mode and we'll be adding a few more + enhancements in future updates.

7. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    This is awesome, a bit like alone in the twitch reaction and music-mood synergi.

Would like a minimap though / small markers in the top screen to indicate upcoming positions of dots.
    -to decrease 'unlocky-factor' and increase skill factor

Ps. Please so yourself the favor and play in portrait mode :)

8. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I thought the title of this game was a quote from my dad when someone tried to tell him it was time to leave the disco in the 70's.

Anyways, great game :)

9. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Btw whats the logic with which dot you attach to when clicking?

Sometimes it seems like its not the nearest.
    I know it tries not to pick one behind your direction, but have flown towards 2 dots, one to the left medium distance, one closer roughly in my direction.
    -clicked and the line attached to the furthest away....

10. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Can't wait!

11. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    I don't like it, actualy the ads are very ugly so bad I just don't want to play anymore and sonething is wrong witht the game maybe I will try one more line if any update will change the game.

12. FBI Light Rock

FBI Light Rock Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Dropping in to say hi once again!

To the devs: Very nice and cool game. Love the minimalistic but colorful graphics. The little touches here and there make this game cool too. The changing of color trails after hanging on to a node, ability to save your colorful flowery designs you've made in your struggles to advance forward, cool space junky music and different cute node designs are just those little things I like.

I'm a big fan of Snowbolt Interactive's Slingshot Racing so naturally this hooked onto me as well. It still did take some time to get used to though.

Using some of my slingshot experience with both games, here are some strategies for those who can't seem to make it far (My current high score is 138, hope to reach 200):

- Avoid going straight. As far as possible, always be hooked on. Straights can easily send your ship caroling into disaster, given its speed.
    - It's a lot easier to start the next slingshot in opposite direction as the previous, for a similar reason. In order to start the next spin in the same direction, you'll definitely need to fly in a tangent to both circles. This can easily send you crashing into the next node. (This tip is a little similar to SMG's one on starting the next spin at the middle line)
    - Your reactions must be fast, but only when you first hook on. As SMG's tip says, with fast reaction you can quickly break your spin if you are slingshoting into a node. However, split second release can easily send you caroling into another node or the walls if you release too fast in preparation in initiating the next spin. I suggest that you should at least make a full circle before carefully transiting to the next node when you are sure it's a "safe spin".
    - Whenever you have to make a transition to the next node NOT at the middle line (for the purpose of enlarging the spin radius in view of an ideal radius), resulting in a jerky change in the ship's direction, you would also rather make at least a full spin since the jerk would confuse you momentarily.
    - Try to use every node. Particularly, do not skip nodes especially when they are in areas with high node concentration.
    - The rest of the tips are kind of the same as those provided by SMG.

13. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
  14. FBI Light Rock

Apr 2, 2013
    However, that being said, there are few things I don't quite like about this game.

- Beyond a distance of 100 yards, the game starts to lag quite badly. I think this is in part due to the need to change the coloring of the ENTIRE path you've taken from the start of the game. Due to the length of the path, every new mode you hold on to will lag the game as the game needs to update the color of the entire path. I understand that this is done since when it is Game Over, the game scrolls back to briefly view the whole journey, which will show the entire path. However, what I suggest is to only store the generic path data for distances further than about 10 yards back, rather than having the game to update the coloring for the whole path (mark the path behind as a single thick ghost line). Only at Game Over will the game regenerate the coloring of the path behind from a ghost path to a fully colored path. This will induce a lag at the end of the game (which players can opt to skip), but it's definitely a lot better than having the game to lag during gameplay itself.

- The A.I. for determining the next slingshot the ship would take is quite difficult to understand. It seems to prefer a node somewhat far ahead. It's not entirely consistent. Sometimes I end up holding on to a node that I already passed and make a unnecessary big circle backwards and crash. In Slingshot Racing the A.I. is consistent, but to be fair, the slingshot towers in that game is always at the same position (I'm not complaining of the random node placement in this game, I think it's kind of perfect, actually :D), which allows Snowbolt to draw the trigger areas for each tower. I would prefer the A.I. to ALWAYS go for the nearest node, but that's just my view. Making it a little different and teeny inconsistent isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it may introduce some sense of unpredictability into the game, which can make it more interesting.

15. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Sorry for not posting a reply we've been away on holidays.

To address the node prediction code. The game wants you to move forward so it takes into account your velocity. We've tried the "closest node" and it sucks. It keeps taking you back to the node you're on already.

We haven't added new modes yet or made the game easier but modes are coming. Making it easier defeats the purpose of the game and it'll just end up getting boring.

We've also update the code to render 1 line not 3 (so it's much faster and looks smoother too) and also added an option to shorten the node for those users who have lower end phones.

We just broke 3 million downloads which is great as word of mouth seems to have propelled the game. ie people saying "this game is hard! try it"

16. Oceandai

Oceandai Member

Jan 13, 2015
    I cannot play it continually, the light is shine my eye

17. FBI Light Rock

Apr 2, 2013
    There seems to be a rather disturbing bug in the recent new update on Android.

After a few seconds of a game, the music suddenly jumps seek to somewhere in the middle of the looped song. It's pretty weird.

No other complaints so far, still enjoying the game! :D Can't wait to find out what kind of new modes you guys could be thinking of!

18. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Not sure if anyone will ever even see this but just wanted to pop in and say this is my favourite iOS game of all time. I've played over 5700 games and have a high score of 696, having played it pretty much daily for the last 1-2 years. All other simple high score chasers wear off on me quickly but this one still has me hooked after putting an embarrassingly long time into playing it.

The new update was awesome, hope more like that get added in the future, though I'm sure you guys are hard at work on thumb drift, which by the looks of it will be another gem.