iPad One game on two iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by hkiphone, Dec 21, 2008.

1. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Wondering if someone could clarify this for me.
    If you have two iPhones/iPod Touch devices, can you install the same game or app to both units? I'm assuming that, under standard Fairplay DRM rules, you can have music or movies on upto 5 desktops/laptops, and unlimited iPods, but would that apply to App Store stuff?
    Cheers,

2. Whitecloak

Whitecloak Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    yes. I have two iphones (one for my girl) and I have them both synced to the same account, so 1 app can be installed on both.

3. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    Just sign in with the other iTunes account to download the apps on your iPhone. Then you can sync w/ your normal account.

4. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Wouldn't that mess up the configurations for your playlists or something?

I set my girl's ipod touch to her own account, and I realize this means we'll have to pay twice for the same game :/

5. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I have 4 iPhones and mix and match the games on each of them. One account only. It's not a problem at all.

6. mjohns

mjohns Member

Nov 15, 2008
    For media/playlists, you could just manually copy the ones you wanted to the desire devices. I have an iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch with different sets of music, movies and games. Also, an iPod Video with all my music/movies and a iPod Nano with just some music. Works, I think iTunes DRM is the fairest DRM. I spent close to US$500 on apps..would have hated to buy the same thing over and over as I did with Windows Mobile with each new device.

7. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    You guys have me convinced. I'll sync her iPod touch to my iTunes so she can play the games/apps I already bought.

Thing is, it's already wrapped and under the tree :( how should I go about with it, after she opens it? Restore to factory settings, plug it to iTunes while signed in under my name, and just transfer everything back?

8. thor0298

thor0298 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I have two under the same account it works fine

9. mjohns

mjohns Member

Nov 15, 2008
    That's what I would do. If you restore and when it asks "automatically copy...", uncheck these to manage the music/video/phots/contacts/etc manually. There's also a "Manually manage music and videos" check box on the device summary screen. I've always just used the one account so I'm uncertain as how to merge the two accounts or even if that's possible.

Also, might want to look at device restrictions under settings/general for hiding iTunes and AppStore apps on the device.

10. IzzyNobre

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Got it.

Just hope nothing weird happens, like maybe she'll change something on her iPod, the settings will end up being carried over to my iPhone via iTunes when I sync it after her... I don't know.

11. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    wait, so if I put apps on a data cd for other people they would not be able to sync them with their own account?

12. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I don't know about that tmac, but I'm pretty sure that you can email them, but you won't be able to update them.

13. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #13 hkiphone, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    It's reassuring to know that it's no problem if using the same account for both devices.
    What about game saves? Will it overwrite each other? Got that matter where are the game saves located? One time I thought I was clever backing up the .ipa files visible on iTunes, thinking it had the gamesaves, but really it didn't.

Tmac: even if you pass the .ipa files to your mates, and add it to their iTunes, it will not allow you transfer it to iPod until the iTunes has been authorized with your iTunes account (thus allowing your "mates" full access to your credit card!)

14. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    It works as long as you have the file for the game (download from iTunes) onto your or her computer and have both computers authorized.

If it's one account on one computer, even easier.