iPad One-dot Enemies free game from the Newtonica Developer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dudehuge, Mar 12, 2009.

1. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Meet the smallest enemies in the history of games.
    They're only one pixel big.
    They're "one-dot enemies"!

Tap them to kill them!
    Kill the enemy, kill your time!

The description of the app pretty much sums it up.

It's a very neat quirky must have time waster of an app. Oh yeah, did I tell you it's FREE? IT IS! GET IT!

http://appshopper.com/games/one-dot-enemies

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Heh, only Kenji Eno can think up these things, and don't be surprised to see this game bundled with a load of Easter eggs as well as chill out music. It is just some of his staples with game design. If only he wasn't so against ports / remakes, as I would like to see "D" on the iphone.

3. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    BTW make sure you clean your iPhone or iTouch's screen as those one-pixel buggers are extremely hard to see.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #4 GDSage, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Yep, this is certainly Eno's work. Only he is capable of making a mere high score screen completely mesmerising. As well as interacting with the doughnut shape, the screen after that with the simple plink plonk of the piano keys matched with that transcending sound off when more enemies are killed and their units added to the worldwide tally (just leave the initial score table alone for about 30 seconds), is quite special.

Right, now I am going to dig for more easter eggs.

5. aniguchisan

aniguchisan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Innovative. Love how you can 'flush' them. haha.

6. plaidman

plaidman Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I don't know why, but this game makes me very happy.

7. TwistedFry

TwistedFry Member

Feb 18, 2009
    but the first screenshot looks like a dong! :p (this is intentional right?)

8. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    #8 dudehuge, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    I bet :) I would've gladly paid a dollar for this, just for him to continue making these quirky apps.

9. Gieve

Gieve Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    just wondering what "easter eggs" people have found, i know there is once for killing two ODEs at a time, and one for killing 10 in a row, also the DOE that grows when you click on it, then explodes into a great number of them, and the White circle that does the same. Are there any more that you have discovered?

10. science412

science412 Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I started a thread on this game earlier in the week: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=6716

Not sure why mostly everyone panned it then, but are liking it now. Well, it's nice to know that some other people out there appreciate original games.

11. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    sounds quirky and fun

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'd kill for Kenji Eno to further develop the "audio action" gameplay that was in his hugely hyped, critically panned (by Western critics), but, IMHO, incredibly underrated masterpiece Enemy Zero. In that game there were enemies that were completely invisible, and the only way to locate them was through sound. He employed similar ideas in D2, and both stemmed from his experimental "game for the blind", Real Sound.

I wouldn't mind Eno going back to the idea of employing sound in such a way. I think that there's a market there for such games, however niche it may be. Soul Trapper proves that an audio adventure would work, and A Shot in the Dark, while not without issues, proved to me that an audio action game might be able to work pretty well.

A Shot in the Dark

Soul Trapper Ep. 1 - Ollie Ollie Oxen Free

And here's the battle system tutorial for Enemy Zero, just for reference:

Enemy Zero Battle System Tutorial

The last section of the vid is how the game is played. No map, and invisible enemies that you must locate entirely through sound.

Not enough games, IMHO, employ sound in this way, which is a shame, really, as it means that developers aren't really using all the tools at their disposal.

13. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    Because it's not his first game in ten years, and you didn't include a link.

Seriously though, it's not panned by everyone, it's panned by a few. Just goes to show that we're still humans and we don't think the same like robots.

If you like it fine, don't expect everyone to feel the same.

14. science412

science412 Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Why are you being such a jerk? Did I say "everyone?" I said "mostly everyone." And, if you look at the last part of my comment, I said that I'm glad that other people are liking this original game.

15. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    There's nothing jerk-y on my post, jerk. Take your meds or just learn to read. Now, that's being a jerk.

16. science412

science412 Member

Mar 5, 2009
    My apologies. Thank you explaining to me that the world is full of humans and not robots. How insightful.

17. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    I accept your apology. Is this the point where we kiss and make out?

18. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    looks preety cool

19. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    To save my eyes I think I'll train a couple of centipedes to charge around the screen :)

Very cool game - best one I've downloaded today.

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well, Eno has gone back to doing this, just that his major game will be on another platform.