Universal One Deck Dungeon (by Handelabra Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 24, 2018.

1. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Looking forward to this. I’ve enjoyed the tabletop version and this implementation looks spectacular. I will purchase as soon as I have the time to dig into the game.

2. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Any chance this will make it to iPhone? Or is it just iPad?

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The devs discuss this on the previous page:

4. JRJulius

JRJulius Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I spent some time with this last night and I’m really, really impressed. My wife hates games that use dice for any reason (HATES THEM) so aside from the odd game of Talisman or Elder Sign with our friends, I have to play dice games on the iPad. This one has some fairly complex mechanics but I picked it up faster than I expected — by the second floor, nothing was really catching me off guard. It’s a good balance of strategy and luck I think, and it’s interesting to see how precious re-rolls are. Perhaps I’m just missing something, but with the Archer I had to find a spell that let me re-roll two yellow dice once per encounter; it caught me off guard compared to Arkham, Tiny Epic Galaxies, or Talisman, where you have an entire stat dedicated to re-rolling.

The app’s production values are quite high. There’s a lot on the screen but I figured out where to look pretty quickly. I’m glad that you can disable animations because a) I find complex animations pretty distracting and b) IMO 3D animations always look kind of cheap in a mostly-2D app. Personal preference, and I appreciate the option.

All in all, highly recommended.

ackmondual and shfrost like this.
  5. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I found this tutorial on YouTube to be very concise and helpful:

The game afterwards is very straightforward and easy to understand.

Overall the game is quite fun. The presentation is a bit bland, they went with the original physical version art but everything around it is quite uninspiring (for example: the simplistic animation for torches, the dungeon and character select screen, etc). I do have to mention the background music which is really annoying, I switched it off after 5 minutes and kept the very minimal ambient sound effects. Still, the game is enjoyable so I can recommend it.

A few niggles for the devs:
    - When you roll the special dice using a skill, I wish it could just be added to the regular dice you roll, and that you wouldn't have to roll them separately and only afterwards the regular ones. Just add them to the pool. It makes gameplay slower than it should be.
    - When you need to cover the shielded boxes in an encounter first - if you want to remove these dice, you have to remove all other dice first. I understand why you did this, so the encounter is always legal, but at least add the ability in the Options menu, for players who already understand this, to move dice freely and disable the "End encounter" button when the move isn't legal.
    - I think character progression is a bit on the slow side and requires a lot of grinding.
    - Background music, yeah, it's painful.

ackmondual and slewis7 like this.
  6. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Does the game have a story mode ? I dislike playing without some kind of story/campaign

7. MigrantP

MigrantP Active Member

Jan 2, 2012
    A story mode is in the works for the tabletop game and you can see the first bits here: http://www.onedeckdungeon.com/story/

When that is completed we hope to bring it to the digital version as well.

The digital version does have a Gauntlet campaign mode where you play a series of games with the goal of defeating each boss in as few total games as possible.

scott997 likes this.
  8. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    It's a nice game for sure but a story/campaign would have added a lot. As is, it gets kind of repetitive. I think devs should look at board game implementation like Galaxy Trucker which wasn't afraid to take a chance and add a completely new story single player campaign. That added tons to the digital version. You don't have to stick 100% to the source material!

9. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    Galaxy Trucker App Developer: Czech Games Edition
    Galaxy Trucker Board Game Developer: Czech Games Edition

In this case (ODD) the app implementation wasn‘t done by the same company which developed the board game. I wouldn‘t expect that they can add/change what they would like.

ackmondual likes this.
  10. MigrantP

MigrantP Active Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's not about being "afraid to take a chance." Software development takes a lot of time and money, and there are a lot of factors in play. In this case, the story campaign wasn't even written yet, it would be a bunch of work (time and money) to implement, and we didn't want to delay the launch of the game for that. As mentioned above, it's something we'll consider for future updates.

ackmondual likes this.
  11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Managed my first win last night :) Novice and starter dungeon, but I’ll take it!

12. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I didn’t want to sound too negative, the game is definitely fun and there is a solid foundation here. All I’m saying is that Galaxy Trucker, as a product, came with a fun full on campaign (and at launch). I’m not getting into rights etc to implement this, or costs, I’m just speaking as a consumer and what I’d like to see. In any case, hopefully this sells well enough that it encourages further time and money from the devs.

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    As already noted, single-player campaign is already in development for the physical version. While I’d like to have a campaign, it makes sense to w@it for that, rather than invent something new.

14. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Bought the game, it's great fun.

Main issue on my end Unlocking heroes progression requires a lot of grinding... which makes gameplay a bit repetitive.

15. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    I'm enjoying this game. I agree there is some grinding to improve your heroes. This does make the boss battles easier. After the first few losses against the dragon, I've one most every other game (lost a few to the Lich). I've mainly been playing 2 heroes instead of single heroes, I think it is easier or at least hero progression is faster. The only hero with more losses than wins is the archer.

16. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #36 Laenor, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Actually, if you run dungeons with two different classes (rather than solo characters) both benefit from progression.

It’s not as bad as I thought

ackmondual likes this.
  17. JRJulius

JRJulius Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I think I’ve spent over a hundred hours playing and I’ve got to say, even without a campaign, there is a TON of replayability. Here are some further thoughts for the devs:

The game is balanced well for both single-character and two-character runs. With two characters, you generally have more options but it can be a bit tricky to remember which dice belongs to which character after they've been placed. I think that it would be helpful to have a small coloured halo around dice in two-character mode so that you know at a glance which dice you can use with which spells. This is mitigated by the fact that available spells glow when you pick up the dice, but it’s still a bit cumbersome.

While the game’s difficulty is balanced for either mode, you get the same amount of experience points PER CHARACTER regardless of whether you play with one or two. This means that you essentially et double the rewards for playing two characters, and in an already-grindy character tree, that makes it hard to justify spending time in the single-character mode. It might be nice if you get, say, 1.5x the experience points when you play with a single character? That would also go some way to addressing complaints of the game being too grindy.

ackmondual likes this.
  18. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This won’t be coming to iPhone will it?

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Apparently there were some comments on a board game geek thread that had a quote from the devs that it’s in the works like with Sentinels.

It’ll take some time which is a bummer because it’s a game I’d much more enjoy on my phone, but I know they take their time with this stuff and would rather have it perfect over rushed.

20. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Forest of shadows is out