On The Subject of Piracy...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dorino, Jul 6, 2009.

1. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    So that's what you do when you read someone's opinion of which you don't agree with? You quote them & call their veiws stupid.

How is that any sign of intellect, or maturity?
    "I don't agree so it's stupid" if you didn't agree you could have said just that. You were rude & insulting, and your surprised by my reaction?

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Guggug, that's the part I will never understand. You feel entitled to a demo period. Why? Because you want the system to work a certain way, and it doesn't? Most people don't circumvent other sales systems. The only difference here is that there's low risk of being caught.

Every dev submitted their app with the agreement that it would be sold for a certain price. We all are legally entitled to receive payment for one copy downloaded per account. Nowhere in that agreement does it say you are entitled to try it out for free. There are lite versions. Yes, some of them suck. Yes, some don't exist. In those cases, don't buy the game. You dont need it. I truly do not understand how the urge to play a $2 game overwrites common courtesy. As I've said before, the hypothetical money lost is not my concern. Bypassing the system the devs are working under is just plain rude, and carries various levels of offensiveness depending on which dev you ask. And that is the core reason we do not like pirates.

3. guggug

guggug Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Again, that is all 100% true, and in the end, it really comes down to what you believe is wrong or right. I fully understand how a developer might feel about pirating, but I also hope you can understand how I feel about it.

I personally feel that I am OK in downloading a cracked app as a trial period, but it's obvious that you, and many other developers feel differently. And you know what? That's 100% OK. I respect your opinion and your work, and I have no intention of offending you or any other dev with what I do.

But I digress, my main point is this: regardless of how you try to stop the pirates, they will always find a way. Period. I'm not proud of that fact, but it's true, and I think Apple realizes this, or else they would have changes the protection on apps a long time ago.

For example, look at the new iPhone 3GS, which is still susceptible to the 24kpwn exploit found in the iPod Touch 2G jailbreak which was released SEVERAL months ago (I think it was found in january or february). Even with the added layer of protection with the ECID or whatever it's called, the dev team STILL found a way around it. Apple really did nothing to cover up the jailbreak for that device.

Instead of trying to stop app piracy with small, developer efforts (Which do nothing, upon the app being cracked, your code that senses the app being pirated can just be removed), focus on making your game the best damn game it can be. App piracy will never be hindered in the least until APPLE makes a move of it's own, which is unlikely. Instead, just put in a small popup saying that if they like the app, they should please buy it to support the developer. This has been proven to have an effect (at least a small one) on the number of pirated users switching to a legitimate copy.

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Guggug, while I agree with you that we cannot stop apps from being pirated, we can stop people from participating in server related game options, which I think is very appropriate. Bandwidth costs money.

I don't believe Apple will do anything about the issue. They've been quite clear about the fact that they're interested in selling hardware. The software sales are just a tool for selling iPhones and touches. The only way they'll change is if all the devs move to another platform.

5. guggug

guggug Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Again, I agree. TO EVERY DEV: If pirated users are causing additional server costs, by all means block that feature in the pirated version.

6. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    #126 Zandog, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    You'd have to agree that by then it's too late already. The next mobile platform, android based, windows based, if it becomes popular and developers go that direction, the app crackers will follow. As pointed out many times. It's up to the hardware developer to use proprietary verification detection to protect it's developers and publishers and to keep the public honest. It's simply not in the best interest of Apple, Intel, AMD or any PC manufacturer to do so. How are they going to make the profits if there isn't that "give me" expoit somewhere. Don't run to the G1, Pre or Zune HD. They won't protect you.

The Story: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=340144&postcount=35

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    to nick: (transitive, slang) To steal.

-.-

8. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Dictionary definitions ruin internet discussions.

Say it ten times fast.

Faster.

9. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Dorino, I was referring to Racer criticizing CDubby on his english.

10. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    And I was referring to nothing. I'm a little buzzed right now and this thread is just entertaining. Reading through it I get the occasional intelligent arguement from either side, mixed in with a bunch of subliminal flames and stupidass arguements :p

This is just funny.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I do the opposite. By that I mean; I download DRM-free copies of my purchases to "future proof" my library.

12. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Could we plz try to keep this thread clean of wapanese emoticons? They don't make you look cool.

Thank you. ^_^y

13. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    How was that Japanese lol

14. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    The point is you are breaking the law and you seem to think there is nothing wrong with it.

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

It's far from impossible. Why would it be impossible? Every single music track I have was purchased: 95% are from CDs, the rest are from iTunes.

--Eric

16. Conjure

Conjure Member

Jun 15, 2009
    You're most definitely not alone my friend.. Along with countless others that have posted here I also pirate most of my apps before deciding to buy them.

17. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    #137 dorino, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
    Olo.

4 more pages of general arguements from people too lazy to realize their posts contribute nothing

@s0mah: it's so kawaiiii!!!11!!! d^_^b

18. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Of those 95% CD purchases, were any of those bought recently? I think part of the reason Itunes became so successful is that it offered people a legal alternative to pirating music back when CD's cost about $16. When deciding between a high quality legal version of a track for $1 versus an illegal pirated copy...I think it was easier for people to make the right choice. However, when faced with a choice between a legal version for $16 full of tracks that you don't even like versus an illegal (but relatively low risk of getting caught) copy that was pirated for free....people had a tougher time. Decreased CD sales and a surge in pirated music can be seen as evidence of that.

Again, it boils down to the difference between virtual goods and tangible goods. I think if you asked the people that pirate music/iphone apps if they would steal a CD or video game from a store, they would say no. Even if there was no security and no chance of getting caught. That doesn't make it right or even legal to "steal" virtual goods...but it's interesting to see people's perception on the matter.

19. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    We have a winner! This is the best post I've seen yet that manages to keep an anti-piracy vibe while not discussing morality! Kudos to you!

20. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Make that; legal (and no risk) for some of us.

Not so fast. Statistical data can be seen as evidence to the contrary: