On Embedded Videos

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by HerbertKornfeld, Dec 17, 2008.

1. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I appreciate that the new moderators are embedding all of the YouTube videos. It makes the forums much more usable. But I think that the fact that you are doing this is making a lot of the posters lazy. They know that they don’t have to do it, because you will clean up their mess. Which in turn makes more work for you.

Instead of: “Last edited by salsamd; Today at 11:10 AM. Reason: embedded video“

I propose: “Last edited by salsamd; Today at 11:10 AM. Reason: I was too lazy to read the FAQ and learn how to embed YouTube videos” ;-)

I think that a gentle ribbing like this will be pretty effective. People will see it often, and they’ll hopefully read the FAQ before they make their next post. And surely no one will make this mistake twice.

You’ll want to create a cleaned up FAQ, which addresses this issue better than the forum post announcing this feature. This FAQ should be linked to in the “Reason” footer. And hopefully, you can address some concerns raised in there about how to add the ability to go full screen from the embedded video.

Just a thought.

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #2 salsamd, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Nice

Solid idea. Make it so Number One! ...wait, I guess that's me. I'll take care of this.:cool: Not sure if one can tag in the "Reason" box, but it will be easy enough to addend a reminder within the content of the post.

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    It says I'm not allowed to embed youtube vids on the visitor message board.
    Why is this?