OMG! Cross promotion in "More Games" violates Lodsys' patent too!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by epicforce, Jul 13, 2011.

1. MetashapeGames

May 6, 2010
    A solution is don't sell on the US store since these are US patents

Tell Apple that You don't putt out apps at the US store

Let's face it looks like only Free apps are on fire with IAP , cross promo, surveys

2. ivarni

ivarni New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. This is insane.

I'm curious, say I live in Europe (Norway) and put up an add with a link in it on the US market. What would happen if Lodsys came down on me and I told them to go get lost? What are the possible legal implications for non-US citizens?

3. marc-bjango

marc-bjango Active Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Lead Designer & Director at Bjango
    Melbourne, Australia
    Or auto-detect US store (is this possible?) and remove the button(s) dynamically.

4. MetashapeGames

May 6, 2010
    I would make a special version just for the US Store.
    Looks like IAPs are covered by Apple and i expect a solution for IAP in a few weeks. Crosspromo is not covered at all. Of course i think the patents do Not cover the Cross Promotion Links just to prevent legal battles i would delete cross links for US AppStore - I just Show the Games and Display a UiAlert with some App. Details

My apps will have IAPs and even the troll still exists I include in my apps since Apple provides the API.

Maybe I just release paid apps on the US store only since the Patent Trolls loads free Apps only - As far As i can tell

5. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I'm feeling a bit left out. Great Little War Game has some in-app purchases for level packs and I've been waiting for my letter.

I wondered if it was because the app is outside the top 10 but we've been there, so maybe it's because my company is registered outside the US?

If I get one of these I'll just have to make a special build for the US store that has no IAP in it. I won't be paying lodsys a penny on principle, even if it costs me more in the long run to avoid being extorted.

6. Liv Games

Liv Games Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Founder, CEO Liv Games
    USA
    It's only for FREE versions with Upgrades via IAP or a link to the Appstore for full version.

We got a letter simply because we had a buy "full version" button that links to the Appstore - Similar to the cross promotion button people have.

If you don't have one in your free version, your safe.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Epicforce said he got Lodsys'd because of cross promotion in game A for game B.. but no further details if this is limited to free or non free apps,which i doubt..

8. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    If this crap is not the proof that software patent shouldn't exist then I don't know what it is. I'm all for protecting people from getting technology robed but in software it just doesn't make any sense. This is so riddiculous I don't know how they could stand a chance in a court.

JC

9. MetashapeGames

May 6, 2010
    Any hint how you guys handle the Situation? Since the revenue can't be measured for "Cross Promotion "

10. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    What I would like to have is a little paper (by Apple) describing what can be implemented and what should be avoided as of now.

Because I've read quite some lines here and there but I can't really figure out what we should avoid in our next game.
    Because especially the "More Games" and In-App-Purchases is something we'd wanted to tackle on a next project.

Now it's all not that obvious what works and what not. Since I've played quite some games lately that seemed to have these features that in THIS and OTHER threads are described as patent violations.

Does a comparable link/information collection already exist that summarizes for developers what they should stay away from to be in a safe zone ?

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Good one, that would be very handy.

That or they hire a hit man and solve all our problems! :)

12. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    #52 Pamx, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    At least one developer seems to have taken decisive action by withdrawing his apps from the US store. HERE

I wonder how many more will follow suit...

I also note that another patent-troll has joined the party. :(

13. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #53 earthclaw, Jul 17, 2011
    Its about time that developers of crappy ripoff versions of good games take there junk off of itunes.. :p

Ban the Adware and I.A.P.
    Lets put In app purchases on Livestock.. :S That will be 99 cents for the first 100 eggs that chicken produces and 4.99 for lifetime production lol

14. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    pretty much every big corporation is a troll in that case..

look at the recent apple vs htc outcome.. pretty ridiculous if someone would ask me.. its the same silly base as any software patents (like lodsys)..

so you get a sms that carries the number of the sender and you can interact with the content of the sms and select the senders number and call him or add him to your adress book or whatever.. yeah.. and that was "invented" by apple in 1999.. yeah right.. its all bs

the hole software patent situation is a big ridicoulous mess, no matter who sues who.. and there not one troll out there but an endless amount..

i cannot comprehend how a patent system can exist that supports any broad interpretable context for a patent.. where a loose more than vague description of it is the base to go rampage with non-fact claims..

if there should be software patents they should be explicitly clear on what the invention is, how it works and be case specific and not such generalized blurbs.. its just ridicoulous..

15. earthclaw

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #55 earthclaw, Jul 17, 2011
    Yeah, Too much grey area and loose interpretation in patent laws.....you win some you lose some..

Almost as bad as Copyright/Trademark Laws...... Dont say "droid" Ah crap I owe George Lucas 50 cents now :p lol

16. epicforce

epicforce Well-Known Member

Attached is the screen shot of the "More Games" section of iFighter 1945, which was caught by Lodsys as "infringement".

Attached Files:

17. earthclaw

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #57 earthclaw, Jul 17, 2011
  18. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    thnx for the screenie.. could you provide the patent number of lodsys they claim you infringe? thnx..

19. epicforce

epicforce Well-Known Member

They are US Patent Nos.

Please see attachment for their description of the infringements.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      259.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      164.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      184.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      206.8 KB
      Views:
  20. peter303

peter303 Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I was looking into this just this afternoon. It is possible as the SKProduct has a priceLocale property and using ObjectForKey:NSLocaleCountryCode returns the country code, eg US the USA, AU for australia etc etc

Not sure whether Apple would allow it.