Universal Omega: The First Movement (by Tran Van Thinh)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 13, 2015.

1. AH_Phan

AH_Phan Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Great to see you posting the concept to final results. As a solo gamedev with no artistic talent, I am always envious of real artists.. I must say your team of artists are amazing.

Beautifully capturing the mood with a unique style.

2. soundshaper

soundshaper Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Real cool this post. Big thanks to dev to have posted the Seb process! It's really interesting for someone who has no idea of how to make a game.

I saw that many ppl here seem to have bought the game and ate suppose to come back and post their impression or a mini review? Hope that someone will eventually do so... I will be very interested. There are just so many games coming out every week... I really have to pick carefully as my monthly budget is only about 15$...

So please do comment on this game, cos I really would rather give my money indie dev... When the game is a premium game, and if they are fun enough to play :)

Huge thumbs up again to the dev for posting, sharing their game dev process here with us! Really really interesting!

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am enjoying the developer posts here quite a bit and this looks like a great game. Unfortunately, I have never enjoyed a rhythm game (except perhaps for Guitar Hero with the guitar controller on a console), but I may end up buying this regardless.

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I gave some decent impressions in the last few pages.

5. GoyaStudio

GoyaStudio Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Wah
    Thanks a lot you guys, for your kind words that encourage us a lot XD XD. I feel really glad by reading your comments.
    And personally, since I'm the artist of this game, it makes me feel even more blissful toward your compliments about this game's art style XD.

These days, we're being quite busy making trailer for our next game, so the next dev blogs come a bit slower. But still, I'll post the next one on 2 or 3 days.
    Wish you guys all have nice day

6. GoyaStudio

GoyaStudio Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Yolo XD

Hope you guys have a nice day!

4. Why we choose Unity

First of all, to make clear for any expectations, this blog won’t go too deep to technical side of production. Most of us are artist with limitation of coding, so this blog is from perspective of artist in making Omega

[​IMG]

We go for Unity, because we’re lack of Coder to dev this mini-scoped game.

The idea, prototype and art assets are repaired way before we officially start to dev this game. We must choose a game engine that visually easy to modify every aspect of game. We surely will make many mistakes from try-and-fail method, so it must be able to try fast and fail fast.
    Recently, we are hardworking in a medium project (Tiny Busters) with Cocos2Dx and many other projects using Libgdx, Cocos...
    It significantly drains Coder’s energy to manually fix visual issues like button position, length of fx, position of fx, the quality of optimized texture, UI animated … follow these engine’s workflows.

[​IMG]

In Unity, everything happened in game is right there, in truly intuitive game editor, and it's not too hard to make our artist understand what, where, why, how of some basic game scene setup. Artist can even create and custom their own scene without distracting Coder doing his job.

The Coder now only concentrate in implementing game logic, game structure, sound controller, music logic …. . He just spends a little time to make some components for Artist that they can control their own object graphic, UI, animation in any way.

Many times, Artist have ideas to improve experience, it's easier to Coder to accept and go for it when he know with a little help, Artist can make it by himself.
    No more “wait for build” to exactly know what have you done.
    No more “change it to 0.02 and let me see” with a troll-face
    No more “it’s too complicated” to fix animated UI layout for multi-resolution.
    The “issue list” now less terrible when half of it can be share to solve.
    Because of that, we can put in game slow-mo effect for Special Skill, weapon attack trail, smoke particle effects …

[​IMG]

If you ever notice, the clock of the tower actually works, and it tick tock exact current time. It created by an artist without any knowledge of code

[​IMG]

“Omega : The first movement” finally done after 4 months of development, with only one-Unity-talent Coder working on it.
    Thanks to Unity, Artist and Coder can well collaborate each other.

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the first time (and for a limited time obviously). Very recommended! Price-drops-forum with a question by…