Older "Must Have" Free Games?

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by chess, Jul 8, 2011.

1. astralWolf

astralWolf Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Freelancer
    USA
    What about osu!stream? It's been out for a while and it's free. If you're into DDR-esque games, then you have to get this. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten much attention here.

2. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    This game deserves a spot in the list. See the recent thread for that game in more details.

LOL-A-COASTER by Pachinko Pictures

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA

Flee

If the sky were falling, how long could you flee for your life? Dodge the explosive aftermath to compete to be at the to…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    If the sky were falling, how long could you flee for your life? Dodge the explosive aftermath to compete to be at the top of the leader boards and earn achievements with full Apple Game Center integration.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Dec 14, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Just a suggestion. :) Now free to play, Flee is a reverse 3D endless runner done nicely in Unity with GameCenter achievements, and is Universal. Not a weighty game by any means, but a fun quickie when you're bored and have a few.

4. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Checking Flee out in a bit.

Added Jetpack Joyride to OP...appears to be permanently free.

Jetpack Joyride

Halfbrick Studios
    Bullet-powered jetpacks! Giant mechanical dragons! Birds that shoot money! From the makers of the global hit game, Frui…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Bullet-powered jetpacks! Giant mechanical dragons! Birds that shoot money! From the makers of the global hit game, Fruit Ninja comes this insane, high flying endless runner that will keep you on the edge of your seat! It's time to join Barry Steakfries and equip the coolest jetpacks, suit up in stylish costumes and ride crazy vehicles in his endless running quest to beat the scientists to the end of the lab. Over 750 million players have made Jetpack Joyride one of the best games on the App Store! Download FREE now to start a new game and escape the lab! PLAYER REVIEWS: “I’m speechless. The game is just so entertaining! I’m saving up my money for flash the dog. There is so many freaking things to get and do! Fly in style with a cool Jetpack, skins and vehicles, avoid the lazerbeams and don’t get shot by the grenades! #BESTGAMEONEARTH” - Nyah Gamez – Jan 7, 2020 “Music and sound and graphics are awesome. Gameplay is thrilling and the coins are the best. I love the gadgets. So many arcade games need these. Awesome game.” - Yodoja reviews – Jan 4, 2020 “Now I’ve played a lot of mobile games but this is amazing I remember the first time I played this game and I loved it to pieces it is a amazing game" - drearylizard230 – Jan 4, 2020 FEATURES: ● Fly the coolest jetpacks in gaming history ● Surf the wave-rider in all its glory ● Complete daring missions to boost your rank ● Customise your look with ridiculous outfits ● Dodge lasers, zappers, and guided missiles ● Collect coins and make millions of dollars ● Storm the lab in giant mechs and crazy vehicles ● Equip high-tech gadgets and power-ups ● Earn achievements and battle it out against friends ● Test your reflexes with simple one-touch controls ● New free game modes in special events *** This game contains optional in-app purchases. You can disable this feature in the settings menu of your device. View our privacy policy at http://halfbrick.com/pp View our terms of service at http://halfbrick.com/tos
    Information
    Seller:Halfbrick Studios
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Sep 01, 2011
    Updated:Mar 28, 2024
    Version:1.91.1
    Size:302.2 MB
    User Rating: (76)

Oddly, the OP list isn't showing all of the appinfo for me...hopefully just a Chrome thing.

5. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Haven't seen this thread in a while.

6. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Yeah, it's been a bit.

I just noticed that Jetpack Joyride was still free and thought I'd add it.

I also removed 5-6 games that had gone paid, including some surprises like Mega Worm vs. Santa.

Osu!Stream mentioned above is kind of interesting but simply doesn't have enough songs for free. Flee was kind of bad despite being an interesting twist on runners...reminded me of Temple Run but minus the fun parts. I had LOL-A-Coaster on my iPhone at some point but deleted it...might check it out again.

7. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    add 2

great thread!

I'll add 2...not the best but good games for free

Gundead Defense

Gundead Defense

GUNDEAD DEFENSE - Wild West Zombie Tower Defense

The ONLY MULTIPLAYER Tower Defense Game for the iPhone and iP…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    GUNDEAD DEFENSE - Wild West Zombie Tower Defense

The ONLY MULTIPLAYER Tower Defense Game for the iPhone and iPod touch.

1885. A zombie outbreak is ravaging the Western Frontier. Death is everywhere, but there's plenty of money to steal if you can get to it alive.

Take charge of a gang of outlaws looking to pull a legendary heist in the middle of zombie country.

A NEW TYPE OF TOWER DEFENSE GAMEPLAY
    Not only DEFEND your stronghold, but for the first time ever order your henchmen to ATTACK the zombie base!

PLAN YOUR ATTACK!
    - Order henchmen into battle, ranging from speedy scouts to slow burly brawlers.
    - Time the waves of your attacks to exploit weaknesses in the zombie defenses.
    - Strategically spend funds to boost your men's Speed, Health, and Resistance for the perfect assault.

DEFEND YOUR STRONGHOLD!
    - Command a posse armed with Six Shooters, Shotguns, Molotov Cocktails, and Gatling Guns to make a stand against those brain-thirsty zombies!
    - Upgrade your weapons to inflict even more damage with devastating special attacks.

MULTIPLAYER
    - Two modes to square off against you friends:
    - Head to Head: Play against your friends wirelessly
    - Hotseat: Pass and play on a single iPhone or iPod touch

CLASSIC FEATURES [FREE]
    - Quickplay Mode throws you right in the middle of the action!
    - Campaign Mode takes you along on a bank heist to hell and back!
    - Multiplayer immediately available.
    - 7 different maps.
    - An edgy art style that soaks the Classic Western in the gore of Zombie Horror.
    - Original soundtrack written & performed by the band Tomcat Combat.

ZOMBIE IN-GAME EXPANSION [
    Details

Guide a mother and her child as they embark on a journey through magical architecture, discovering illusionary pathways and delightful puzzles as you learn the secrets of the Sacred Geometry.

Sequel to the Apple Game of the Year 2014, Monument Valley 2 presents a brand new adventure set in a beautiful and impossible world. Help Ro as she teaches her child about the mysteries of the valley exploring stunning environments and manipulating architecture to guide them on their way.

=====

A STANDALONE ADVENTURE A completely new story from the Monument Valley universe. You don’t need to have previously played Monument Valley to enjoy Monument Valley 2.

INDIVIDUALLY CRAFTED PUZZLES Enjoy beautiful levels filled with illusory, meditative puzzles, using brand new interactions to explore the changing dynamics between characters.

CONTEMPORARY VISUALS Artwork inspired by an eclectic mixture of architectural styles, artistic movements and personal influences, each translated into stunning geometric structures.

BEAUTIFUL AUDIO Immerse yourself in uniquely melodic interactive soundscapes, tailored perfectly to every step of Ro and her child’s journey.

=====

Monument Valley 2 is only compatible with devices running iOS 9 or later.

.99]
    - Play as the Zombies! New powers! New strategies!
    - 7 additional maps!
    - Lead a zombie hoard of Biters, Screamers, Hurlers, and Swarmers to MORE BRAINS!
    - Campaign Mode features a storyline from the Zombie perspective!
    - Zombie faction unlocked in Multiplayer.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Mar 01, 2010
    Version:
    User Rating: (2)

and
    Football U http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/football-u/id321599580?mt=8
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Edited the OP for the first time in a while. Removed a few games for price changes and added:

Frisbee Forever 2
    Extreme Road Trip 2 (removed 1 for adds)
    Temple Run 2
    Mega Run

9. King hAPPy

King hAPPy Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you put a list of games that are IPhone 5 optimized as well.

I didn't look right through, but the best free game I play is still Royal Revolt, I like it more than Anomaly.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Bug Heroes!

Probably been mentioned, but still the best free game on the App Store.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I strongly recommend Tunnel Tail!

It's free, no IAP's - the game itself is very enjoyable. A RPG, with kind of Final Fantasy-battle mechanics, featuring mice. Totally oberlooked and underrated gem.

Tunnel Tail

Beneath the human world, Mouse Tribes struggle with the dark forces of the Lumini and their master, Luzen. The Lumini ar…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Beneath the human world, Mouse Tribes struggle with the dark forces of the Lumini and their master, Luzen. The Lumini are corrupting mice to spread their destructive powers over the mouse world. If they're not defeated, the human world will be next! A group of enlightened mice have banded together to fight back, and these mice cannot win without your help! Will you join them in their epic quest?

Tunnel Tail is the story of a fearless young mouse leader, Cezar, and his crew. Ama is a brave warrior always ready for battle – she's a loyal and trusted friend of Cezar. Dini is super-smart and lives life to the extreme. Tolomi the “mousetorian” holds the secrets of the ages. And then there's the newest recruit – you! With your help, the Mouse Tribes may finally be freed from the grips of the Lumini. The forces of darkness must be stopped! Let the fur fly!

Tunnel Tail’s Key Features:
    • Enter an adventurous tale where you decide what happens next
    • Design and customize your own team of mice fighters
    • Train and equip your team for battle
    • Join forces with your friends in a multiplayer experience
    • Face off against dark forces that get more and more dangerous
    • Explore the cool and unexpected mouse underworld
    • Become a mouse legend!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Aug 13, 2012
    Version:
    User Rating: (10)

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... one of the best freebies on the appstore which has been seriously overlooked.

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You left out that there is an iPad version, Tunnel Tail for iPad, that is also free, available...

14. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    #314 Psiufoxx, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Holy crap there are a lot of free, amazing games available on the App Store. I honestly dreamed of this situation when I was a carefree child. If only the App Store was giving away free candy, 6 year old me would be in heaven. (Then again, this horn o' plenty only serves to reinforce my iOS addiction. I'm not complaining by any means, but wow, it's a bit overwhelming.)

In any case many thanks to the OP and the posters. I've fuddled through the thread and found at least 40 overlooked titles! :)

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    There's a fun iPad single-player Deckbuilding card game wrapped in a lite-rpg package which I recently found: Northmark: Hour of the Wolves. No advertisements, but this one has a little trick. A large icon on the front page says "Buy Now...". Press it, then press "already purchased". The game will unlock for free. You need to do this each time you load up but it takes no time, it doesn't even seem to contact any server.

If someone says that's taking advantage of the developer, well, it's in a review of the game on the first page.

16. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Added Tunnel Tail to OP. It's not my cup of tea (not an RPG fan), but I played for about 20 minutes and it seems really well made with no IAPs or ads.

17. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Appreciate the tip, but I don't think I'm gonna go there.

18. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Is it just me, or does the appinfo on the OP not show up as images in Google Chrome?

It seems to work fine in Internet Explorer.

19. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Added to OP. I'm usually averse to large file sizes, but this is a very polished game.

Royal Revolt!

Flaregames GmbH
    ★★★★★ "Best Mobile Game of 2012" ★★★★★ German Game Developers Award ★★★★★ Top 3 iPad game in US & CAN ★★★★★ “Selected …
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ★★★★★ "Best Mobile Game of 2012" ★★★★★ German Game Developers Award ★★★★★ Top 3 iPad game in US & CAN ★★★★★ “Selected a “Great game on iPhone 5” in 17 countries “Royal Revolt is a gem in the App Store giving you a full game experience for free.” (Touchgen.net) Royal Revolt is a brand new reverse T-defense game with beautiful 3D graphics and intuitive touch controls! Lead your soldiers to victory against your greedy relatives who have stolen your father’s throne. ★★★★★ How to play ★★★★★ • Use the simple touch controls to direct your troops • Employ battle magic to heal, stun or destroy • Upgrade your hero, knights and spells • Conquer all 58 castles to become King ★★★★★ The story so far ★★★★★ You are a young Prince, sent by your father to learn magic at Bogsmarts, a boarding school for the spoilt and untalented aristocrat youth. When you return after two years with a B.A. in Petty Magic, all has changed in your father’s land: Your father has died and your ugly aunts and uncles have carved up the Kingdom among them. You throw a tantrum, but to no avail: your relatives suggest you go back to school and leave politics to the grown-ups. But you are a man now! You sell your jeweled teddy bear, collect a few trusty soldiers and set out to KICK THE GREEDY BUSTARDS out of their castles. Which are rightfully YOUR castles, damn it! ★★★★★ Press quotes ★★★★★ “Part melee action, part on-the-fly tactics, Royal Revolt!’s gameplay is the perfect example of walking the razor’s edge between new tricks and old staples.” (148apps.com) “Royal Revolt is a gem in the App Store giving you a full game experience for free.” (Touchgen.net) “Royal Revolt! is a must get, you really can’t go wrong with trying out this game.” (Gamerchica.com) ★★★★★ Join us on Facebook ★★★★★ http://facebook.com/royalrevolt • http://facebook.com/flaregames
    Information
    Seller:Flaregames GmbH
    Genre:Action, Role Playing
    Release:Aug 10, 2012
    Updated:Apr 30, 2013
    Version:1.6.0
    Size:297.2 MB
    User Rating: (7)

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Give it a try. If it's up your alley, press the purchase button and send the money thataway.