Older "Must Have" Free Games?

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by chess, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Tuilelath

Tuilelath Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    Wow, found this thread making one of my twenty-times-a-day checks of the Price-Drop subforum....this is a GREAT thread, Chess!

Found 14 new (to me) games which I downloaded to my old iphone, which is doing duty as an iPod Touch.

There were at least ten games I never delete from my iPhone 4 like Bumpoid, Lock n Roll and Blastination in your list....glad to see others enjoy them as well.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2012!

2. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Awesome topic. Until a month ago it's been until 2009 since I've been to this site or had access to the app store. Just downloaded around 50 games. This is what I was looking for.

3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    #283 Drexiel, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    why isn't this thread a sticky?

this one helped me find quite a few games today :D

EDIT: Robotek, very damn awesome :D

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    TapQuest II (can't embed right now)

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Picked up Virble. Turns out to be a nice word game.
    A lot of work putting this thread together. Appreciated.

And no mention of Supreme Air Combat? Nice line drawn fighter game that's not too bad. Always free and been out since early 09'. I've had it on my device this whole time.
    http://appshopper.com/games/supreme-air-combat

6. DOOMBOT

DOOMBOT Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ugh, not all of these games are free. I went to get Super Drill Panic! and it was $1.99.

7. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    In one of the posts, he posted links saying which ones weren't free anymore (at that time).

8. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    you're right, but since it was free at launch time, some people (myself included) assumed that it's also gonna stay free forever.

9. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    I posted above to indicate that I was removing it from the list...thought the reason would be self-evident.

Yeah, that was my assumption too...and why I added it to the list.

10. 1776-1865_RIP

1776-1865_RIP Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I'd be surprised if any of them miss the cut; granted I bought the full versions of all but Blockwick some time ago (and they have remained installed) so I don't know what limitations the free versions bring.

11. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    I generally try to leave off "lite" versions unless they are standalone from the main game...same for heavy IAP...but I will definitely take a look.

I've been tempted to put some of the Gamevil RPGs on there for a while, but they look very dependent on IAPs.

12. 1776-1865_RIP

1776-1865_RIP Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2011

I loath IAP and generally stay away from ad supported apps. IIRC none of these were bad, though I have seen updates ruin even paid apps so who knows.

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Early Bird
    Temple Run
    Velocispider
    Toy Shot
    Super Rope
    Haraka
    Penguin patrol
    Elextro master
    Arcade Jumper
    Lost monkey
    Slide soccer

14. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Can't believe I forgot to add Temple Run...one of my favorite games. I don't think I expected it stay free when it first went free...kind of why I created this thread in the first place.

Same for ElectroMaster (though I think HungryMaster made it kind of obsolete).

Also agree that SuperRope is worth an add.

Velocispider isn't free though.

15. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Added to OP...more to come as I look at the new stuff:

Temple Run

Imangi Studios, LLC
    "In pretty much every treasure hunting adventure movie there’s one specific scene in which the plucky hero finally gets …
    TouchArcade Rating:
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "In pretty much every treasure hunting adventure movie there’s one specific scene in which the plucky hero finally gets his hands on the treasure but then has to navigate a maze of booby traps in order to get out alive. Temple Run is this scene and nothing else. And it’s amazing." - SlideToPlay.com From the makers of the award-winning best-seller Harbor Master® comes the most exhilarating running game on the App Store. Test your reflexes as you race down ancient temple walls and along sheer cliffs. Swipe to turn, jump and slide to avoid obstacles, collect coins and buy power ups, and see how far you can run! REVIEWS "Best endless running game in the App Store… You'll love every minute." - AppleNApps.com Voted by TouchArcade Forums as Game of the Week One of TouchArcade's Best Games of the Month "Most thrilling and fun running game in a while, possibly ever." - TheAppera.com "A fast and frenzied iPhone experience." - IGN.com "Very addicting… definitely a very different running game." - Appolicious.com FEATURES * Simple swipe and tilt controls that are easy to use and just feel right * Level up your character and use crazy powerups * Original 3D running mechanic combining turning, jumping, sliding and tilting - the first of its kind! * Play as 7 different characters! * Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements to compete with your friends * Incredibly fun, just one more time, endless game play!
    Information
    Seller:Imangi Studios, LLC
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Aug 04, 2011
    Updated:Apr 18, 2024
    Version:1.25.2
    Size:179.9 MB
    User Rating: (19)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

SuperRope

Craneballs s.r.o.
    Climbing has never been so worked up. SuperRope brings fun with fast climbing/jumping action where your goal is to get y…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Climbing has never been so worked up. SuperRope brings fun with fast climbing/jumping action where your goal is to get your hero as high as possible. But it is not that simple. There are more things to do while trying to reach the stars like picking coins and other bonus stuff which you can´t afford to miss on your way up if you think of becoming the Top Scorer. And there is more. The better you get the bigger choice you have in choosing your favorite characters to make it more personalized. The game offers variety of backgrounds with more to come in next updates. So don´t waste time and bring some action to your chilling out on the sofa, being stuck in a traffic jam or hanging out with your friends!!! Still not enough? Than test your skills and try to avoid monsters and objects falling from the sky, like deadly parrots, evil robots or even anvils and pianos or just hanging on ropes eager to lay your tentacles on you. Last but not the least there are, of course, missions which bring all this together. Through tricky missions you can receive multipliers to move on in a game. Warm yourself up with less difficult tasks in the beginning like Play 5 times with a hedge or magnetize 300 coins with a magnet and later check your skills while jumping 200 times in one mode or missing 40 times a falling object. To sum it up, Super Ropes has launched the biggest update ever offering more fun with 30 missions, rewards, characters, bonus level and a spin wheel. As for the technical side, to become even more player-friendly, the game offers iPad support and redesigned and simplified store. So download now and have fun with the new extensive package where climbing becomes more than just a game. It becomes a mission.
    Information
    Seller:Craneballs s.r.o.
    Genre:Arcade, Kids
    Release:Jul 14, 2011
    Updated:Dec 02, 2013
    Version:2.11
    Size:23.2 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)

ElectroMaster

xionchannel
    Knock off your enemies with blitz! Clean up a swarm of bastards! It’s easy to play. Keep on touching to store power and…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Knock off your enemies with blitz! Clean up a swarm of bastards! It’s easy to play. Keep on touching to store power and release for firing. You can change the direction of firing by touching or dragging when firing. The more power you store, the longer you can fire. Keep it up! Powered by "CRIWARE".CRIWARE is a trademark of CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
    Information
    Seller:xionchannel
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Jun 11, 2010
    Updated:Sep 12, 2023
    Version:3.19
    Size:72.7 MB
    User Rating: (4)

16. IntrinsicGames

IntrinsicGames Well-Known Member

/dances

Hey chess, thanks for putting this epic thread together! But I hope you put Penguin Patrol as part of the OP :D. The entire game is free (ad supported) and is staying that way.

17. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Adding to OP:

Other than ads, seems to be a full version, and it's like crack...

Drop7™

Zynga Inc.
    Named one of “The 12 Best Games on iPhone” - Kotaku Drop 7 is deceptively simple, hypnotically fun, and offers endless …
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Named one of “The 12 Best Games on iPhone” - Kotaku Drop 7 is deceptively simple, hypnotically fun, and offers endless opportunities for mastery and mental challenge. Drop discs onto a grid, clearing discs when the number of discs matches the amount of discs in a column or row. Try to get chain combos and score as many points before the board is filled. - Edge Magazine’s” #2 Best iPhone Game of All Time” - One of Esquire Magazine’s “Best Downloadable Games for Any Phone, Console & PDA.” - One of “The 21 games that should be installed on every iPhone” - The Verge - PCWorld’s “Nine Essential iPhone Apps” Features: THREE GAME MODES Choose amongst the more relaxed Classic mode, the quick-round Blitz mode, and the consistent Sequence mode. LEADERBOARDS See how you rank against your friends and others globally, and prove you are the Drop 7 master! ACHIEVEMENTS Earn fun achievements by completing challenges for chain reactions, clearing the entire board, and more! Use of this application is governed by the Zynga Terms of Service. These Terms are available through the License Agreement field below, and at http://m.zynga.com/legal/terms-of-service. For specific information about how Zynga collects and uses personal or other data, please read our privacy policy at http://m.zynga.com/privacy/policy. Zynga’s Privacy Policy is also available through the Privacy Policy field below. This game does permit a user to connect to social networks, such as Game Center, and as such players may come into contact with other people when playing this game. Terms of Service for Social Networks you connect to in this game may also apply to you. You will be given the opportunity to participate in special offers, events, and programs from Zynga Inc. and its partners. Must be 13+ to play.
    Information
    Seller:Zynga Inc.
    Genre:Board, Puzzle
    Release:Mar 31, 2011
    Updated:Jan 25, 2019
    Version:3.410
    Size:57.0 MB
    User Rating: (2)

If a dev's gonna post, I'm gonna check out his game. It's a legit little game...and I thought the controls were pretty innovative. Strong work!

Penguin Patrol Free

Grab Games
    WADDLE WE DO? Baby penguins are stranded on thin ice, and it's up to the Penguin Patrol to save them! Featured by App…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    WADDLE WE DO? Baby penguins are stranded on thin ice, and it's up to the Penguin Patrol to save them! Featured by Apple in over 100 countries! "Cute visuals and attempting to earn the max score is quite challenging." - Gamezebo "9/10. The controls are very simple and easy to pickup" - AppScore "The audio is so relaxing and harmless, you can’t help by smile and have a warm glow." - AppZilla PAY WHAT YOU WANT TO REMOVE ADS The entire game is completely FREE. If you're enjoying the game, please consider supporting the developers by removing ads - and you decide how much to pay! THINK OR SINK Solve over 75 puzzling levels and encounter several types of penguins, each with their own unique personality. But watch out- the thin ice breaks with each step you take. Can you earn 3 stars and unlock all the achievements? THE 'ICEST CONTROLS Swiftly maneuver across three perilous types of ice using the intuitive slide and hold controls. Made a mistake? Simply Undo your last step whenever you like. Do you have what it takes to be part of the Penguin Patrol?
    Information
    Seller:Grab Games
    Genre:Puzzle, Kids
    Release:Sep 28, 2011
    Updated:Apr 02, 2012
    Version:1.5
    Size:18.5 MB
    User Rating: (5)

18. IntrinsicGames