Older Mobile Gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wonderspark, Jul 29, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know it's not the same but all these years later playing the arcade classics I love via Gridlee (mame) and also via an iCade so it's like my own mini arcade machine is great. Plus a gameboy emulator so 100s of favourite games from the early 90s. Love it !

2. wonderspark

wonderspark Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2015
    So, this may be a difficult question to answer, since I think people generally don't take a long, hard, analytical look at *why* their purchasing habits are the way they are, but if you're (like me) someone who gets a lot of games & builds up a backlog of games, why do you keep buying things? What "tips" the scale for you to buy something, even if you have a thousand-year backlog?

Is it that the game looks interesting? Is it that there's a "deal" that you might miss if you don't get it now? Is it that you're looking for a different itch to scratch than the backlog can provide? Is it that the backlog is already "old" and you're less likely to go back to older games?

I've been trying to answer this question for myself for years. I've got more console games than I'm likely to finish in the next dozen years if *all I did* was play console games full time. But I sitll get new games, and then don't come anywhere clsoe to finishing them. Sometimes it's a sale, sometimes it's a game that other people are talking about.

But for *you* - what do you think is the thing that tips the scale? Why would you pick up a new game, and then more importantly, why do you *play* certain things while other things get relegated to the infinite backlog?

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Interesting questions! Well, I know I've created quite a backlog in iOS games alone over the past few years. Sometimes I buy a game because it is premium and I want to support the developer, even if I won't get to it right away. Other times, I know I would love the game, but if I'm not in the mood to be immersed in that setting, I'll just put it off. I really like settings and atmosphere in games, so if I want to be living out an Alien movie, I'll play Alien Isolation, Alien Breed, or Doom II RPG. So, my playing habits revolve around where I want to be and what I want to be doing the moment I sit down to game. More often than not, I usually want to be on an RPG adventure or managing a European soccer club. Which reminds me, I just picked up Football Manager Classic for iPad because it is on a great sale. And I don't even have a device I can play it on yet. Hopefully, I'll upgrade my iPad soon, but it was too good of a sale to let it pass me by.

So, supporting devs, love of the game, good sale, and the right atmosphere will all cause me to dive in and buy a premium app.

4. Vellrath

Vellrath Active Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Looks like I found the right thread. I'm 33 and have watched the development of games since the early days too. Hate freemium/poorly translated time killers, and what pass for "RPGs" on mobile device. I love story, immersion, player choice and well thought-out' hand-crafted game design, while still realizing that there might be a little adaptation on my part, necessary to appreciate some generally good mobile originals out there. At the same time, I love the fact that certain hardcore games and even remakes of our favorite classics are making their way to mobile. I'd love to see more such titles both old and new, and this seems like a safe place to discuss them, and philosophically, what makes good game great. Cheers!

5. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Well,I'm A Folk of 40+ Years Old,Starting play in the 80,I start with Atari,Then Commodore 64,Amiga,and all the Sony Consoles. I Try To Stay in The Middle,Playing every PS3,PS4 Games that I love,and,at Same Time Playing Mobile Premium Games,But It's Hard Play Both,for the time,for the work,for my Girlfriend,But I've fortunately the time to play Both.I was near to give up with mobile game due to Apple last OS and lot games Broken,But this happen every years,the problem now it's that games that has been launch 1 year ago,with a 14€ price tag,wont be updated by the developers,it seems that it's a common story,But for me it's not.