Universal [OLD THREAD] Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I can't delete CW from my iPod now...was hoping to have the HD version for my iPad, but oh well

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I was really hoping for the update too: HD graphics, multitasking and bug fixes (specially the ones related to grabbing taxis). I guess I'll have to stick to the Nintendo DS version now...

3. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I have downloaded this from my purchased tab. Maybe they removed it because they are about to release an HD remake ? (Unlikely but here's hoping !)

4. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Wow. Why would they pull this?! I was always waiting and hoping one day it would get widescreen support and multitasking. Now I guess that won't happen. This is indeed, puzzling.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #3565 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    The last update was in 2010. My guess is that the team of people who adapted it from the Nintendo DS to the iPhone left Rockstar, and there must be something in the code which doesn't allow for an easy update. The game survived so long because luckily it worked in previous iOS iterations without needing to be updated.

Now that Apple forces all apps to have wide screen support to be updated, I believe it's not worth money-wise for Rockstar to update the game, so I'm afraid we'll be left with GTA III and GTA: VC. I was wishing for an update because Chinatown Wars is the most adapted to touchscreens, but unfortunately I'm afraid it won't come back... :( At least someone from Rockstar could come here and say something official.

6. ImJPaul

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I still have it on my iPhone. Afraid to play it though because anytime I exit or anything I lose all progress.

It would be nice if someone from rock star came here and said something official. My guess is that they won't though because they're busy people trying to fix GTA online right now from its countless problems.

7. ValtermcPires

ValtermcPires Active Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Portugal
    Does this run smooth on i4?

8. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I re-downloaded from purchased items and it doesnt appear to run properly on IOS 7.xx so they withdrew the product from sale because it's broken to either update it or not. Here's hoping they are doing the right thing !

9. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Somebody else noticed that both versions of chinatown wars have been removed from the appstore?

10. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    That's really weird. I wonder why..

11. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    iOS 7 crashes

12. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh, I missed that part of the thread. Thanks for explaining.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Really? What's up with the iOS7 crashes because I'm running just fine on my iPad with 7.0.2.

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Same here. (iPad 2)

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Its on the phone version. Try starting a new game, can't get through the intro to play. I think people with existing saves are able too.

16. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I can't believe they will let this game sit broken like this... Surely someone is responsible for tinkering with whatever needs to be done. Apple is to blame but perhaps they couldn't help the issue in the name of security or something.

17. Stevenseagal

Stevenseagal Active Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Just saw this on the Rockstar Support site:

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200498647-Unavailability-of-Chinatown-Wars-on-iOS

I don't want to get my hopes up, but the fact that they've actually acknowledged that they've taken it off could mean that it'll eventually come back.

......with multitasking and retina support. :)

18. ImJPaul

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Wow. That's great news. The fact that they say "currently" unavailable is a definite good sign. Hopefully they add widescreen support too! I've since deleted it and will reinstall when/if it ever shows back up on the AppStore in an improved state.

19. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #3579 mekanikal fiend, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    really like this. hope it comes back soon, better than ever

20. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I hope it comes back a universal app... Don't want a separate HD one. I'm not paying twice! Already paid for the iPhone version. But this is hopeful news!