Universal [OLD THREAD] Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I bought this years back, must admit the second the two proper GTA games came out i've never touched this. Surprised they havent fixed it though

2. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Reinstalled the game when I saw it pop back up on the forums here. It is one of my favourite iPhone games so I thought I have another run through it. It doesn't work at all on an iPhone 4s with iOS7. I can see the intro movie but then it goes to a black screen for a few minutes while the dialogue continues and then it just freezes. Stay away from it until it is fixed.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Hopefully they'll fix it. It's one of my favourites, but the lack of multitasking along with one or two silly bugs made me delete it. Rockstar would make my day if they fixed this one.

4. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm suprised Rockstar kind of forgot about this game. GTA 3 and VC get regular updates. I bought this way back when it was released and only did a few missions. I ended up picking it back up again and starting over to get myself ready for GTA V about a week ago or so and I'm actually playing this just about as much as I am GTA V. It's a solid port (HD version). I'm just suprised Rockstar hasn't showed as much love to this as they have the others.

5. Dephin

Dephin Member

May 8, 2012
    Self employed cladder
    South englaaand
    Cheers for the (somewhat inadvertant) heads up, along with the reported problems with native instrument apps and this I think I'll be steering clear of ios7 for sure. Thanks :D

6. Stevenseagal

Stevenseagal Active Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Rockstar have put up a message in the app description for this, saying they're aware of the problem with ios7 and are "investigating an update". Can't wait :)

7. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Oh my gosh this + iOS 7 support + Widescreen support + HD version's graphics = HYPEHYPEHYPE

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    How's the driving with the top-down view? I'd imagine it'd be tough to pull off stunts and navigate traffic without being able to see too far ahead.

9. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    hopefully

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont think its a problem with this app. From that respect it reminds me of the original GTA games which started off top-down.

I still much much prefer the other two GTA games as they were 'proper' games but this is a nice subsitute if you get bored (somehow ?!) of the other two

11. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    It zooms out and tilts a bit as you speed up to keep it balanced.

12. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #3552 Gov, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Can't wait for this app to get a retina display and other great features. I too, saw the message in the description :)

But i can't wait even more for GTA: SA next year :) that was the best game i ever played on my PC back in the day!

*never knew there was a HD iPad only variant I'm the AppStore until now! Hope R* just fuse both iPhone & iPad version into one universal app. I don't want to purchase this gem twice!

13. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    Unlikely since they're already seperate apps. Still would be happy if this version got the improved visual effects of the iPad version (textures, rendering, and lighting). And widescreen support of course.

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #3554 Gov, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    It can become one app, a recent game named busted had an iPad HD version + iPhone version, then the dev just updated his app into one universal app, and removed the Separate one, So it can be done.

15. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Me too! I'd love this one updated. R$ never had to update to iOS6 compatibility because it was fully working, but now they'll have to update it :D And don't forget multitasking ;)

16. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    It definitely can be done, it's just that everyone who already purchased both versions would be giving Rockstar crap for it and they'd get a bunch of complaints asking for refunds.

17. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    *bump* from beyond the grave... Tried the lite version, the controls were great, does the full version simply not run under iOS 7?

18. ThreadbareConnor

ThreadbareConnor Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    It's a larger company so I would expect it to run on ios 7 immediately. Maybe they are lagging a little because of GTA 5 coming out

19. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    Honestly, Apple needs to stop breaking apps with each new update. These apps supposedly pass submission and adhere to apple's dev guidelines and API's yet every update to iOS I have apps that will no longer run. Don't have this problem when upgrading my PC OS.

Just starting to bother me since I have over 10,000 apps I've bought and would like some sense of security that they'll run in the future given all the money I've spent on the appstore.

The responsibility should ultimately fall on Apple that older apps do not "require" updates to keep on functioning. Maybe a little legacy code in their OS updates would help. Expecting a developer to update an app I've bought a couple years ago is ludicrous IMHO. Maybe they could take some of that 30% they rake off the top to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

/rant

20. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    The game disappeared from the App Store :(