Universal [OLD THREAD] Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    That's not possible with the way the App Store works. It would be nice if Apple implemented it.

If it was an "unlock" type purchase, then apps are required by the app store terms to allow restoration in such a case.

2. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I have a few games where I bought from iap. I.e. Hunters and Sacred Odyssey. In fact I have just re-downloaded Sacred Odyssey due to a system restore.

It will get you to go through the motions of re-buying and even display the price. However, when you put in your password it should confirm that you have already purchased and ask you if you want to download for free.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I picked this up while on sale. I played it on the DS and thought it was time to play again. Well, I like the better graphics, but the controls aren't very good. I find it a little frustrating to play. Maybe I'll adapt to it as I go, but so far I keep doing things like accidentally exiting a car, missing one of the turn arrows, etc.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I have no issues with the controls and I played both the DS and PSP versions as well. After completing the game a couple times on the iOS I only failed at most 5 missions and most were because I was just being silly and doing something stupid.

5. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Agreeing with Drucifer here; no problems at all with the controls- guess everybody's experience will differ.

6. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    yeh this version is way scaled down, not even the same. If you want the real experience go play it on the ds or psp.

7. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Anyone know if R* is planning another holiday sale with this game?

8. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I just grabbed this at the sale price - but I'm bummed that the game doesn't support retina display. I assumed it would... ah well. It was great on the DS so I look forward to playing it here.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Awww yeah! Was hoping this would go down to 2.99 again! Misses it the last time. Anyone know how long the sale is?

10. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it's at 5.99, not 2.99....and that sale ends on Dec. 29

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Oh lol, I saw the thread title and jumped to conclusions. :p thanks for the heads up!

12. carlosaguilera

Jun 27, 2012
    the updates for this game are dead right? I was hoping for some nice retina support for the new iPad but it seems like is not gonna happen

I do not think I'll buy it then

13. carlosaguilera

Jun 27, 2012
    So I figured ...

On the other hand, I have gta 3 but it looks pretty decent though is not retina

14. TouchNoodle

TouchNoodle Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Question... anyone do the firefighter side missions?

There's one building with fires on 3 sides that I just cannot do. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So anyone else still play this and able to get it to work on IOS 7? I get a blank screen.

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I still play the HD version for the iPad and haven't had any problems with iOS 7.

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Phone version. Try starting a new game and see if you can make it past the intro where you have to break the glass.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I'm running iOS7 on my iPad Mini and it's running fine so far for me.

19. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Just looked at the recent Itunes review. The IPhone version isn't working apparently.

20. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    The iPhone version has been broken for over a year. Totally unplayable and yet they continue to charge for it.