iPad Old school red/blue 3D games on iDevice?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ziconic, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ziconic

ziconic Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    I'm working on adding a "real" 3D mode to AirCoaster and am wondering if folks here generally have a pair of old school red/blue 3D glasses handy and if they think the 3D effect on the tiny screen of an iDevice is worth the trouble.

Is anyone aware of any other stereoscopic 3D games/apps on the app store?

Can people "see" the 3D effect in the pic below (click to expand)?

ac3d_stereo.jpg

2. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Whoa, that's awesome. Though I don't think everyone has a pair of red/blue glasses lying around like I do.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    :eek: That looks awesome!

There was one app that was 3D and the dev posted here. Can't remember the name. Too bad I don't have 3D glasses :(

4. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Wow that would make me wanna go out and buy 3d glasses

5. rik555

rik555 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #5 rik555, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    WOW That would be SO SWEET!!! Yes I can see the picture and it looks really cool... I have red/cyan glasses so not sure if that would work but they're easy to get...you can get them for free here...
    http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html
    also the game that was mentioned was this anaglyph (red/blue) match game...
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304475201&mt=8

but if you type the word anaglyph into search in itunes app then you'll get a few more....anyways, I love the aircoaster app and this 3d will make it even more amazing....any idea as to when we can expect this update?
    Thanks!!!

6. I don't have anaglyphic 3D glasses (and don't think that Rainbow Symphony place ships outside the US) but I've been interested in the idea for some time now and had considered adding anaglyphic 3D support to my first game (or one of them, anyway.) I think it would be awesome to see more games support it myself. I just gotta find a pair of glasses...

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member

Pulled out my old Nightmare on Elm Street 3D glasses, and yeah, it looks 3D... however, red/blue 3D is pretty much unbearable for any longer than 30 seconds or so. There's a reason everyone switched to polarized 3D. ;)

8. That requires a polarized projection system though, so ... not gonna happen on the iPhone/Touch. :)

9. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Yeah...red/blue 3D is all you can do on the iDevice for now. :) There's also the fancy new brown/blue system that the Superbowl commercials popularized, but the encoding method is patented and doesn't give dramatically better results anyway.

It took me an hour in the mall to find a pair of 3D glasses...in the end I found a pair as part of a set of SpongeBob playing cards (ahem) for $3.99 at Target. :)

rik555: Thanks for the tip! I checked out the "anaglyph" games on the app store but none that used the iDevice's 3D rendering capabilities. Lots of so-so photography apps mainly. The Anaglyphs memory game looks cool but isn't really a "3D" 3D game.

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Aww man,, I know I should've smuggled some 3D glasses out of Disneyland. Wish I had a pair of 3D glasses sitting right on my desk so I can see the awesomeness everyone else is seeing. Good job on the app by the way :)

11. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I would really like to see a proper (real) 3D game on the iPhone! I use TwinShot3D to make 3D photos with my iPhone and it works quite well (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/gewappnet/sets/72157614558644892/).

So there are people out there not having red/blue glasses? :eek: These come with a lot of DVDs like Shrek 3D or Bugz 3D or books or magazines.

12. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Looks nice!
    I don't have AirCoaster, but I would probably get it if it had 3D.
    Any excuse to put on those glasses! :rolleyes:

13. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    #14 Marioman619, Apr 6, 2009
    Double post-sorry. Can a mod delete this?

14. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I recall that there is a special technique to render 3d using a moderately wide color spectrum on red/cyan...I forget the name, but like 75% of the color spectrum using special blending...!

15. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
  16. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #17 Crypton, Apr 6, 2009
    I have a red and blue and one red and green and one pair which was used for those left-to-right rotating 3d movies (no not p0rn); or was that right-to-left?
    EDIT: Oh, and I would love to see games in 3D. What I would ask is a possibility to fine-tune the coulors. So one can adjust the colors to their needs/glasses.
    @zionoic: Would that be possible?

17. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey Z,

I can see the images just fine with my old-school red/blue glasses! Looks good :)

Personally, I would point out in the app store description that the 3D effect isn't a stereogram, but a "real" 3D, and include an image like the one you attached (just to convince new buyers). And despite the Anaglyph app, you're probably safe to say that A.C. is the first 3D simulator on the iPhone, which is very cool :D

Looking forward to it!

18. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    True and not true.

The new systems actually use 2 projectors to alternatively show a "left eye" frame and "right eye" frame. It uses polarization to allow the eyes to differentiate the images (basically "blocking" the "left eye" image from the right eye and vice-versa), which is not possible on the iPhone.

However, you could certainly have an app that alternately shows the "blue frame" and then "red frame". The issue would be the frame rate. If fast enough, you'd have decent 3D motion; slower and you'd have a 3D image; too slow and you'd have flickering red and blue crap :p

Just a thought. Now can a dev test this? (Man, I wish I knew how to code!)

[Sorry for double-posting; but two totally separate topics]

19. ziconic

Feb 13, 2009
    Tosui: I think you are pointing out a different technique: alternating between the left and right eye images. For that to work, you'll need special glasses that are somehow sync-ed with the display (alternate blocking of each eye). If it's just red/blue, you might as well just show both images at once, since the glasses take care of separating the two images. :)

Crypton: No ability to tweak colors at least in the first 3D update from me, but I've tested with both red/green and red/blue glasses, so I think it should be OK.... What are rotating 3D movies? :confused:

Marioman619: Ugh! A cheap AirCoaster ripoff!! :(