Universal [Old Freemium Version] PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX (by Bandai Namco Games America

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #41 Ubisububi, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Hmmm. I guess I was mislead by your previous statement that you have "never spent less money per year on games than you have since [you] got [your] first iOS device," and that the whole freemium thing was "pretty rad." I guess I misunderstood you.

Regardless, to each his own, Wizard Mike.

Peace.

2. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Between MMO subscriptions and multiple PC and console games, I used to spend hundreds of dollars per year on gaming (hell, WoW subscription alone was $180 per year). And that's just the games. The overall price per year goes up quite a bit if you average in hardware purchases/upgrades.

So yeah, I can dump a couple of hundred bucks a year into the app store, get a crap ton of games, and not spend anywhere near what I used to be spend on gaming. Of course, that covers both premium and freemium games, so that "pretty rad" statement can actually be applied to iOS gaming as a whole. :)

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Was anyone able to open the gate after level 40 without paying for more time on those challenge levels which are required to obtain keys? They seem impossible with the current fruit collecting requirements.

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    After the latest update which added a 3-star mechanic, I was able to progress and didn't hit a paywall, at least yet, on level 55 now.

I have to say I'm really enjoying this.

Does anyone know if there is an international release date?

5. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    This got an update today. Maybe it's inching closer to an international release.

6. DBrown519

DBrown519 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Environmental, Health, and Safety Fields
    Fullerton (Orange County), CA
    Thanks for the update. I can't wait.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do agree with that and i would rather pay for games all the time BUT i'm afraid we're in a minority. Freemium actually gives devs way more money than premium games. Look at premium and all the cheapskates waiting for a dollar price drop or waiting for promo codes. We see time and time again premium games failing sadly.

Freemium as much as i hate to admit it is making tons of money, more than premium so sadly this is the world we live in. I still try to 'help' indie devs by buying their game when its on sale (Not one of these people asking 90 questions before deciding whether to buy a 99c app).

Perhaps times will change again in a year or two when the masses get fed up with freemium/timers, but for the meantime sadly we're stuck with it. Thankfully there are still tons of great games by indies which i like to buy

If no more games were released for 2 years i would still have a different app to play every day of the year. So i cant complain too much

8. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #48 GiHubb, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    In case the developers are reading this - Two levels (so far) which I think are unbalanced in version 1.0.4:

Level 82- I was able to pass it, but just barely with 1 star after using a bomb and having one of the ghost carry a slowdown type powerup which it doesn't always, so it's dependant on luck. The level is very straightforward and the levels directly following it were much easier so it seems the timer here is too short.

Level 133- this is where I stopped playing. Seems impossible to get 1 star. I'm pretty far off from being able to finish this level without cheating (i.e. using "powerups" or buying extra time with tokens). The time given for this level seems way too short as well.

EDIT: I can confirm the same problems exist in version 1.0.5

9. DBrown519

DBrown519 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Environmental, Health, and Safety Fields
    Fullerton (Orange County), CA
    Any news on this game anyone?

10. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think there was a front page article recently that stated that Namco was reworking the game to make it a paid version again and would release later this year.

11. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I'd love to play this on a touch screen. Hopefully it is still definitely coming out...