Old and un-starred reviews don't show up on the app

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Soarel, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Soarel

Soarel Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Today I looked up Chaos Rings with the iphone app, and found no TA review. However a search into the articles section yielded a review--it just wasn't linked to on the game page.

In addition, a search for the original Zenonia will give you a review but it doesn't show up because the star rating system was not in place at the time.

If this isn't fixed we have a problem.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This has been the case for a while with appinfo on the site as well. I don't believe it's actually related to age or anything. I think the guy who pushes some buttons somewhere just forgets to do it occasionally. I've seen it with recent apps that get reviewed and the star rating isn't linked to the appinfo, and there are plenty of very old apps that are linked just fine (see Canabalt released in 2009 for example).

The case of Zenonia, reviewed before they gave ratings is different though. I'm not sure how they would link the review in the app since reviews are linked through the rating itself.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Here's some behind the scenes stuff for why this is-

1. We have some custom Wordpress junk that has allowed us to quit using the actual pricing Wordpress categories and instead pull things in real time. When you see the whole Game Name [Price] thing, that's automatic- As are the App Store links at the end. Those tie everything together with iTunes ID's, and things that we wrote before those in place are orphaned articles that you can still find via Google or whatever.

2. We didn't start doing actual realtime star ratings until... I want to say maybe a year and a half or two years ago. In the days of Zenonia, we didn't score our reviews at all, requiring readers to actually read our reviews to determine whether or not they should get the game. Anything without a rating just... Doesn't have a rating.

This probably isn't going to be fixed, as the content is still all accessible- You might just have to look a little harder for old games. As far as scoring is concerned, it wouldn't make too much sense to go back and score ancient games, especially now.

4. Soarel

Soarel Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks, Eli.

I'm off to play some Chaos Rings.