Ok this is strange...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by 1337brian, Nov 22, 2008.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I just downloaded an app, (stress toy) I don't think it really matters, anyways I played with it for a minute, then deleted, like I do with 80% of the crap I download... Except this time it's asking me to rate it before I delete?! :eek:

2. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    New feature part of 2.2

3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^What he said...

4. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    thx, I figured that. I just thought it was weird that they want a review star from everyone even if they didn't give it a good play through. But I guess it doesn't really matter for free apps anyways.

5. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    #5 TimothyB, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Wait, so can you rate it any other time?

I don't delete what I like or had spend money, unless I really hate it. When I'm removing stuff to de-clutter I usually do that from the iPhone options in iTunes, not on the phone.

Won't this offset the rating system? By most accounts, if someone is deleting it, they probably don't like it, thus give it a low rating. But people with the same app and like it will continue to use it and never rate it. We'll only get the side of people who deleted it.

Oh, is this only for free apps? That makes me worry less.

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    As part of the new 2.2 FW, it will ask you to rate the app every time you delete it (free or paid).
    I hear your point about it skewing the ratings, but anyone can still rate an app by simply reviewing it. You can review it through iTunes or even the app store. Only caveat is that you have to own the app (which I think is great).

7. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I love that they changed that you must actually own the game before you can rate it. I think this new system may skew the ratings a bit, but only for free apps, and that doesn't really matter to me...

8. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    As a developer, I absolutely hate this feature. What's the point of building up a high star rating for months, only for it to be destroyed in a few days by impatient customers? What's to stop people from downloading my Lite version, and deleting and 1 starring it, because they never bothered to watch the tutorial (which I give them the opportunity to watch during the first run of the game, and from the Info menu any time after that) to learn how the game works? If you haven't noticed, many of the games now have a review count much higher than the number of text ratings. Some are even hundreds more. This all started yesterday, and I'm terribly afraid these are all from deletion ratings. They don't seem to be affecting the star ratings yet, but they're sitting there like a little mystery time bomb, ready to ruin a developer's day.

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I'm sorry to hear that, I brought it up because this was exactly what I was thinking could happen. As a devoloper do you have any input to apple on how the system works???

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Not really any more than anyone else. Generally, any developer email to Apple takes weeks or months for them to respond, and the response is rarely helpful at all. But I'm sure if we all get bombarded by bad reviews, something will have to happen, as this new method is horribly one sided.

11. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I hear what you're saying.
    I'd like to think that those people that don't give it a fair shot couldn't also be bothered to write a review. Of course, that's what I'd like to think.
    I didn't even realize you could just give a star rating without writing any text. That's totally useless to me as a consumer. I want to know why someone gave an app a 1 star and/or a 5 star

12. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The ratings are quite weird right now, I've seen a drop in the star rating for a lot of applications in the top 50, although in 2.2 it displays a half star more for most applications than what you see in older firmwares (change in the rounding algorithm?).

13. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Well... Atleast your game is actually very good... and it is very easy to pick up and play... so that should help you a bit with that...

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Not really. I've gotten three 1 star reviews in a row since yesterday, coming from people who have obviously not watched the tutorial in the game. I usually get mostly 4-5 star ratings, and now I'm getting "pieces are hard to move, "don't download," and "suks" as reviews. This is horrible. I'm trying to get a response up right now in the reviews, but iTunes is being flakey.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Oh, and thank you for the kind words. I worked very hard to make the game pleasant and fun, so it's nice to know someone enjoys it. :)

16. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I think it would be great to have apps that you've kept on your phone and use a lot have you rate it the 4th or so time you open it.

That might balance it out.