Universal Oh! Edo Towns (By Kairosoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    The mall one was actually good because you could still be doing stuff while generating income. The racing one was the worst because you got to do absolutely nothing except watch a boring race.

That being said all the hidden mechanics of these games are not acceptable.

2. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Toucharcade.. Please hurry with review! Its almost a bed time for my daughters and I want to play it so bad! I'm on fance just because I didn't get into last two Kairosoft games, but I liked HSS and really looking forward to this one.
    Tbh if it was 0.99 I wouldn't be writing now.. :)

3. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think I'll be throwing down a premium price for this one. The other ones weren't actually "re-skins" per se either, "mall success=game success=racing success" but I know what to expect. Same menu system, same time/build-up system, it's clear from the screen shots. So no, I won't be actually playing it :)

4. Jarrod2011

Jarrod2011 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Student
    I have yet to download it. I'm kind of dissapointed. Seems too similar to pocket academy/ hot springs story. I would have rather had Pocket League story or cruise line story, or game dev story 2..

5. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

#25 nicodemus82, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    Your goal is to raise the yeld (land value) and you do that by creating various combo's with structures, scenery and items which you get by crafting.

There are 5 occupations in the game: Farmer, Craftsman, Merchant, Samurai, and Shogun Retainer. Once a citizen's job level reaches level 5, it is maxed out. Once all 3 jobs (Farmer, Craftsman, and Merchant) each Lv 5, you can change them to the Samurai profession. Maxing out all 4 professions, and you will unlock the Shogan Retainer job.

Stores have monthly maintenance costs. And, like in Pocket Academy, these shops influence the stats of the townspeople that purchase from them. People utilizing the stores will also receive points which can, in turn, be used for researching new facilities and creating items.

Crafting becomes available when you build a Wholesale Store. Also, since Craftsmen and Merchants require a wholesale store to work.
    The level of the Craftsman can reduce the number of research points needed to raise the success rate.
    Commodity/product prices are increased with combos. Putting combos near structures with a high base value is ideal.
    For example, the castle is such a structure. Surrounding it with combos will cause the value to skyrocket. Increased product prices means people will pay more for the goods at the affect shops which helps the town's economy.

Villagers can only move a certain number of steps, so you have to factor this in when placing shops etc. the number can be increased by certain vehicles such as a horse.
    Level 5 Samurai can obtain a white horse from the Stable . The number of white horses that are used/purchased are a factor in the final score.

Building an Inn can trigger the appearance of visitors which generate income in your town as they will go around and buy goods, eat at restaurants, etc. It's recommended to build more than one that way you can have multiple groups of visitors at a time.

There's definitely a lot more strategy needed to succeed in this one than previous Kairosoft games and because of that it's one of my faves.

Your loss ;)

6. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks Nicodemus!

7. CroRock

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    @nicodemus
    thanks, your post sold it..
    If this game disappoint .. I will never buy Kairosoft game again..... On full price! :D

8. nicodemus82

You're welcome guys! hope you enjoy the game. if you need a little help we put together a guide while playing through the Japanese version. you can check it out here..
    http://kairospot.net/community/forums/0h-edo-towns-forums/

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yup. GPS was just terrible, MMS is actually almost equal to GDS for me :)

10. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Meh, I'll wait for GDS 2.

11. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Had a quick look at the guide and i´m sold, too.
    Wanted to get it anyway for my Kairosoft collection.

12. CroRock

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Played it for an hour and WOW...
    My english sucks too much to describe what I feel about this game!
    Lets just say that finaly I have feel of DOING something in Kairosoft game.

And @nicodemus.. Thanks again for link.. Be sure I'll checking it often, but for now I want to discover things on my own for the first time.

13. Imperfect angel

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah..kind of get done with game like this ,but I have to say the graphics is not bad...

14. nicodemus82

You're welcome.. glad you're enjoying it. and yeah, that's probably the best way to play a Kairosoft game :)

15. bprichard

bprichard Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Global Operations Manager
    Shanghai
    Thanks for taking the time to throw in all the info. I'll probably the plunge on this game eventually. I won't hold you responsible if I don't have a good time.

16. CroRock

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    I'm surprised no one is talking about this game! :eek:

I guess all waiting for front page review (or price drop).. but believe me, it will be 5 star rated and its worth full price.
    It sucked my whole day yesterday and I think this is the best Kairosoft game released for iOS so far.
    I only wish there was leaderboard and achievement support. I want know how others doing with score points for comparison.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm, really enjoying this one! :D After Grand Prix Story's big disappointment, finally I can do something in the game! Played about 5 years, and well, it's kind of like Pocket Academy and Mega Mall Story. :)

18. pixlepix

pixlepix Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    This game is amazing. IMHO, the best kairosoft game yet, definitively many times better then HSS or PA

19. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Game Impressions

To those sitting on the fence:

Superficially, there are a lot of similarities to Hot Springs Story or Pocket Academy, but Edo Towns distinguishes itself as being a very open, very competent city builder with more depth than any other Kairosoft title. If anything, that's its weakest point: there's so much going on with each tile influencing the surrounding tiles, and it's explained so poorly with an interface that is anything but clear, that it takes hours to grasp the fundamentals of citizen jobs, facility & shop interaction, etc..

Fundamentally, there's a lot of the same sort of proximity based bonus/penalty system that was employed in MegaMall Story, but here it's much more macro in scale. An interesting change up is that you don't improve individual shops, you improve shop *types*. So once your Bun Shop reaches level 2, all your Bun Shops, including newly built ones are level 2. There's also a good deal of similar mechanics to Pocket Academy with your residents having key skills that are increased and decreased via the surrounding businesses and facilities they visit.

What's good about all of this is that the design allows for a great amount of flexibility and forgiveness as you muddle your way through the intricacies and subtleties of the design. In the long run, if you get into it, there's clearly a lot of finesse possible for going for the high scoring that is omnipresent in the Kairosoft titles, as well as expertise in planning and structuring the city layout. However, even if you're not doing great, the game provides a much more satisfying sense of building and progression than previous Kairosoft titles I've played.

What's bad about this, and this is hardly unique to Oh! Edo Towns for Kairosoft, is there is no hand holding, the "tutorial" is of little utility, and it takes a long time to figure out if you're heading for your own little Shogunate or a mediocre town.

Ultimately, I'd say that if you've been able to find something appealing in most of the Kairosoft titles, you should go for this one as well. Like all of them it's a curious mix of the familiar and new. However, if you're one of those, "when is GDS 2 coming out?" types, give it a pass.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    This one kind of caught me off guard but I purchased it and I'm really liking it. Much better than Grand Prix Story which is there worst App Store game so far IMO.