Official "KillTest" Trailer/Gameplay (LiveFire's new name)!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vinny554, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Is it online only? Is there a single-player mode? :confused:

2. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

Its online only I'm pretty sure. They also said that as of release it's also only 4 player Deathmatch, but there going to add CTF, Team DM, and King of the Hill as DLCs or something.

3. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    i would like to see like a single player where if you dont have wifi (iTouches) you can play with AI players

4. Vinny554

Campaign would be so much better. God this game is taking too long! I'm seriously considering Jailbreaking my touch just to get Quake 3 Arena. It looks exactly the same....and free....

5. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    my touch is jailbroken and it is well worth it the only ad vice i have is make backups just in case

6. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    #66 weedeatinflyincougar, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    does anyone know how much this will cost (sorry if it is clearly stated above)

7. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it would be $10, which I am happy to spend.

8. Vinny554

I hope not. It looks great...but just great.

9. cjb43

cjb43 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Wow, this is the reason App Store games won't get any better. If consumers refuse to pay a meager $10 for something with as much work put into it as this, there is no way developers will work hard to make quality games.

10. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Anyone knows if the launch version will have VOIP like promised?

11. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    You must understand you're getting less than 1/4 of a game you would get on a console / PC. The games are usually ~10MB which is comparable to what you would see 10 years ago on floppy disks...

IMO $10 is way too much for any game but we'll see if it lives up to it.

-THIRSTY-

12. Vinny554

Well said....

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #73 Adams Immersive, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    Getting 1/4 or 1/10 the megabytes doesn't mean 1/4 or 1/10 the fun or value--and mobile gaming that is really GOOD offers value in one way no computer game can touch: it's with you ALL the time and playable anywhere! Look at what games cost for other handhelds and you'll know how spoiled we are paying $10 and under. (I game on my iPhone more than on my computer--who would have thought? So by that logic, iPhone games should cost me more than computer games. And there's no fear of that!)

$10 is nothing--a pizza you eat once and feel slightly queasy afterwards and then forget.

And the difference between paying $6 and $10 is even more trivial. If that $4 is a problem, the game must really not be fun, and you may as well skip it even for free :eek:

That said, some games are flawed and only WORTH a couple bucks. But for a really good game that took a lot of person-hours and attention to detail, that $4 (multiplied by sales) can make the difference between having the game exist and not.

I want the best games and the best variety possible, so I'm willing to pay a few bucks more per game. $10 is still really cheap. Free demos are of course welcome to help me make the decision without risk :)

14. PowerThirst

Mar 18, 2009
    Let me clarify, this is within the scope of all iPhone games.

Due to the input method, we're usually limited to 2 simultaneous inputs. I HIGHLY doubt you'll be playing KillTest with 3+ fingers... that would be just ackward. The Atari 2600 almost mimic that if it had a decent GPU...

RAM, 128 MB of it. This 128 MB will have to store textures, models, audio, scripts, and actions while also running the iPhone kernel and other system critical services. So sitting in RAM are textures which to my knowledge are stored as bitmaps instead of compressed formats like PNG and JPG. Take one of your vacation photos and save it as 24-bit BMP, compare the size. Audio depending on whether it's sound effects or background music might need to be stored as WAV / AIF instead of MP3 which has latency issues. This all leads to limitations in what you can show on screen and what's in queue to be shown.

So going back to my original point, if an Xbox 360 offered games in a cartridge, can only display in 480x320, with 2 thumb sticks (clickable) for a controller and enough RAM to barely run Windows 95, would you pay $10 for a game? Or would you demand that at least you'll need 1/4 of a true Xbox 360 tier A title in terms of overall quality and content before you're willing to shell out $10?

I think KillTest is worth $5, $10 is just greed.

15. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #75 Adams Immersive, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    I disagree--all those technical points aren't the REAL measure which is FUN :) But I DO agree that each person can make his own choice on what's worth buying and what to skip. For me, mobile gaming can be worth the price of a pizza :) For you, maybe not, and that's perfectly valid too.

Likewise, developers have the right to set any price they wish. They took a risk in time and money, and did a lot of work. We can then take or leave what they give us.

I hope KillTest is free, or maybe $1, or maybe on a great intro sale before it goes up. More pizza for me. But if it happens to be $10 and the reviews or demo version don't disappoint, then I have no problem paying that. Most likely it will be somewhere in the middle. Hopefully cheap enough for you--the more the merrier :)

I also have no problem skipping some other $10 game that I don't care about, which someone else is really into. Different tastes. For a lower price, I'll take a chance on a game even if it's not "really my thing." In this case, if KillTest is well done, I know it IS my thing :)

16. PowerThirst

Mar 18, 2009
    What I don't understand is why these tier 1 publishers must charge so much on this platform. Take the Wii virtual console marketplace for example, games like Secret of Mana and Street Fighter II are great fun possibly on the top 100 games of all time, how come they don't charge $20 or even $10 for it? Why not? Because there's intrinsic value on these games based on more than just how fun it is.

I see what you're saying regarding fun factor but perhaps one must draw the line somewhere.

-THIRSTY-

17. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    This needs to come out

18. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nowhere, CA
    word up...

19. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Has ngmoco said anything else about this recently?

20. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    nope. they only showed a video of them playing on ngmoshow. i hate them!!! they get to play it but they make us wait.