iPad Official "Falling Sands" Thread - Suggestions wanted!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zodttd, Jan 26, 2009.

1. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    #1 zodttd, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Hello from ZodTTD!

Some may know me from the jailbreaking scene. Though I'm also the author of the AppStore app, Falling Sands.

Falling Sands is a clone of the popular Java Applet/web games where you take different types of 'sands' and mix them to see the interaction and chaos that occurs.

I've been meaning to update Falling Sands for quite awhile now. I just submitted an update (v2.9.0) that includes the following:
    • Explosive sands. Light a fuse sand with fire, send the fuse to the assorted bombs, and watch them explode.
    • Bomb types that include acid bomb, fire bomb, and napalm bomb.
    • Use your photo's on your iPhone and iPod Touch as backgrounds in the game.
    • Improved menu system.

I've found out why most sand games are so basic though. Performance can become an issue for calculating grains of sand, different sized particles can be difficult to integrate including objects (like zombies ;) ), etc.

I realize this program needs polish so I've cleaned things up a bit and added the new menu system. As I'm not an artist and have limited resources, getting art for seemingly simple things like icons and backgrounds is difficult.

If this game interests you, I'd like to know what you'd like to see from Falling Sands?

UPDATED
    Here's some screenshots of v3.0.0:
    Screenshot 2009.02.22 09.13.59.png Screenshot 2009.02.22 09.13.48.png Screenshot 2009.02.16 22.15.56.png

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

3. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    i would love to see it more polished, i loved the original Java game but i always felt it seemed unfinished or it was missing something. you should also add things like people and that spinning white blob that consumes everything.
    (from the original). also the explosions and fire are always fun, you should add different explosives with different reactions and power e.g. petrol, napalm, gunpowder, etc. also a nuke that destroys everything in a spectacular glorious firestorm!!!

:D

4. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Hi! Thanks mek!

firstprime: Oh I forgot about that spinning white blob completely! I can add that for sure! A nuke would be cool too. I will definitely be focusing on more explosive sands for the game! Thanks!

5. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I believe salt killed the white blob though.

6. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Salt dampens fire as well. Do you think the whiteblob should spawn randomly?

7. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    im not sure if your up for adding completely new features to the game but maybe puzzle mode would be really good, like in aqua forest.
    maybe you could have to do certain things with limited material or blow something up with a certain explosive.
    if you would consider this it would probably take a while to do so
    maybe not for this patch.

also if it could have a tiny town on the bottom with tiny people, so that
    you may reign down destruction upon them!!!! :D

with the puzzle or preloaded scenery idea i think you could do alot.

oohhhh, have a person on one side of the screen and zombies heading towards him. and you have to kill the zombies with fire,etc. and stop
    them from reaching the guy.

i dunno if it would be possible to use any of these ideas, just what i think would be really good.

:D

8. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Just took a look at the appstore page. Those icons look nasty, give me a pm and I'd be happy to try and make some nicer ones for you.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Wha...?! Falling sands is an app! How close is it to the original java game (that I so dearly love :D)?

10. mek

mek Well-Known Member

puzzles sounds like an amazing concept
    even a simple puzzle maker, like to allow the user to create some goals or objectives and save them, then load and play them

then of course, the free play mode is what falling sands is all about

the more options the better :)

11. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Hey Zod! I'm a beta tester for you. Anyway, I think it, like someone else said, would be cool if there was a little village that you could destroy.

P.S. Thanks for updating Quake4iPhone!

12. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    #12 zodttd, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Sorry about the delay in posting. Had to help a friend finish up a TShirt site we've been working on. :)

Going through the posts now to respond.

firstprime: I think a puzzle mode would be add some playability to Falling Sands. It has a lot of potential. Sounds great, I just need to think of some scenario's. :)

Ph4ntom4 (and other artists) : I'd *love* some artwork for the game! PM being sent!

Kamazar: Although rough around the edges, I'm working hard on improving it.

{klondike}: HI! :) Thanks for the nice comment on quake4iphone. I think the puzzle/scenario mode will make this very cool.

One thing I have yet to think out is...the play area is small due to performance issues plus 'screen real-estate'. It would be nice to think of some sort of gameplay mechanic to give the player more areas to explore. Perhaps in a puzzle mode, there could be stages with certain backgrounds and themes, but in the current free play mode, I'm not sure how to open up the play area without bogging down performance due to all the logic going on in the sand movements. I'll try to optimize it even more.
    Hmm one idea could be to have a large gameplay arena with the current size screen as the viewport. Thing is I would only be able to calculate the sand movements in the current screen shown, and not the area around it. I'll keep thinking. ;)

13. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Wow, I didn't even know this existed. Aqua Forest is pretty similar to this, though.

14. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Aqua Forest has nothing on this.

15. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Digging up my old thread here...

Well I am back to work on Falling Sands. I released v3 which had some good additions. Things like save states and resuming of gampleay between loads was implemented. While I added Zombies, they weren't stick figures, so I'm working on adding zombie/human stick figures just like Hell Of Sand.

I also will be fixing some fairly minor bugs and improving the spread of plants to be more like it was previously when in contact with water. I also want to add an option to make falling particles fall through the bottom of the screen like traditional falling sand games work.

When I release the update, I will be giving out more promo codes. :)
    Also of note I have submitted a free version of Falling Sands too.

Besides all this, what else should be done to make this game more polished/enjoyable?

Some ideas on the table are 'variable (anti)gravity' and adding wax. I'd like some input on ways to better improve the interactions of things in Falling Sands v3, and additional particles that can help gameplay.

I'm all ears, and will be glad to implement all that I can.
    So basically if you have some bright ideas for the game, let me know! :)

Thanks TA!

16. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I revieved one of your promo codes a little while back, and pm'ed a suggestion to the person who sent me the code (not realizing they weren't the deb) but I'll repeat here cause I'm not sure if they passed it on...

I think that the menu system is a bit of a hassle...I think that the game would be more enjoyable if you could at least switch through particle types on the main in-game screen, just by hitting a forward or back button, or swiping in either direction.

Also, I think that it might be better if the fuse burned a little slower (like an actual fuse) cause now it instantly burns up, more like a bomb. The plant could burn a little slower too maybe.

The game is certainly fun (I was a big fan if the flash game awhile back) I think it basically just needs a more accessible particle switch to become complete in my mind, with any added features just being a bonus

17. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    The bombs don't always explode as much as you think they do. Also, I'm gla you're fixing the zombies. The stick figures were fine and I don't really like the newer ones honestly. I liked having a ton of zombies to kill and torture! Hope the new update gets through fine. Keep up the good work.

18. zodttd

zodttd Active Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Thanks...I think the stick figure zombies will be a hit. Just need ot make sure it gets done. ;)

The menu system gets difficult to do with so many choices. I will try to think of how to get like a "last 5 choices" on screen for quick selection.

Good point! Will do!

19. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Is there a free online game that is similar to this, or am I thinking of something else?

20. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Alright, the five last used would certainly be an Improvement

I was also just thinking it might be cool to have spouts for particles In addition to the generic choices, particularly dirt...cause then I could combine that with the water spout to have a continuous flow of plant growth to burn up :)